Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:32 AM

174 posts, read 113,128 times

Advertisements

I've managed to create a life very similar to the life I imagined for myself since I was 16 (I am now 23). I work at a nice job, have a steady paycheck, no debt, loving boyfriend/heading towards marriage, good friends, interests outside of work, involved in many church activities. But I'm still deeply unhappy. It's a struggle to get up in the morning. Should I seek the help of a therapist?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
It's a struggle to get up in the morning. Should I seek the help of a therapist?
Start with a physician.
Focus on the far more common biological and hormonal issues underlying mood.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:51 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Set new goals, and then keep on setting new goals in perpetuity. There is no state of perpetual contentment if A, B, C,D is done, actually the surest way to get disappointed if not depressed is to achieve that goal you always dreamed about, all goals are petty and unsatisfying in themselves, but as long as you will keep on settING and achieving new goals you'll get sorta an ersatz. The other option is to consider an alternative philosophy as in "happiness is being" versus "happiness is doing".

Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM

645 posts, read 1,539,810 times
That is a lot of goal attainment for such a tender age, and I have to wonder how much is/was from what others perhaps wanted for you, their expectations? Sure would not be unheard of starting with a 16 year old person, especially in certain kind of environments. Could this dread of getting out of bed, be a manifestation (subconscious even) of perhaps feeling smothered by what is, rather than a more true course that lies within? Think of it perhaps as a defense mechanism, where it is telling you to stop on the path you are, re-evaluate, consider a course correction... It is literally trying to physically stop you. Maybe also, you fear failure, as in what if I drop one of the balls I am juggling that I worked to achieve, how will others view this, how will I, what even is the failure I might fear? Does this make sense to you?

I write all of this with respect, care, without judgment; I have a daughter your age, and know she feels what I say above. In no way am I criticizing your station in life, but please understand much can and will change. What your life experience told you at 16, now seemingly realized at 23, is subject to change, and no shame or guilt need be attached. My gosh, your adult brain has hardly been in existence, and perhaps this "awakening" is trying to tell you something . Best of luck for your journey!

Old 03-27-2017, 04:26 PM

524 posts, read 843,684 times
Yes

Old 03-27-2017, 09:55 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Start with a physician.
Focus on the far more common biological and hormonal issues underlying mood.
This. Also google Foods for Depression and Anxiety and add or eliminate them as needed. Get regular exercise, preferably outside in the sun, a good source of vitamin D. Or buy some vitamin D3 1000 IU and take one with breakfast and one with dinner. Get plenty of sleep.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 PM

540 posts, read 362,746 times
What is it that you think you are missing?
What is it that you think will make you happy?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,864 times
Quote:
I've managed to create a life very similar to the life I imagined for myself since I was 16 (I am now 23). I work at a nice job, have a steady paycheck, no debt, loving boyfriend/heading towards marriage, good friends, interests outside of work, involved in many church activities. But I'm still deeply unhappy. It's a struggle to get up in the morning. Should I seek the help of a therapist?

thanks.
Maybe you set the bar a little too low?

Most of us spend years trying to reach our goals. It's as much about the journey in reaching your goals as it is the goals themselves.

I would suggest you start coming up with other goals you would like to reach. If these goals were so easily attained, what else can you accomplish?

I've just turned 50, so my goals have changed. I'm now considering going for a pilot's license, traveling a bit more and learning more about woodworking. Twenty years ago, none of these three things would have made my top 10.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
More info needed, OP. Why are you so unhappy? What's at the root of that, do you know? Are you bored, already? Any plans to move ahead in your career in the future--grad school, perhaps? A steady paycheck for many people isn't enough these days to cover all living expenses, especially going into the future, as rents climb and wages continue stagnating.

You're also fortunate that at your age, you and your bf feel fairly ready for marriage. That's pretty rare, too. Is this on solid ground? At 23, most people's lives and goals are a work in progress, not a done deal.

If you don't know what's wrong and why you're depressed, yes, definitely seek professional help.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:01 AM

866 posts, read 629,832 times
Quote:
Should I seek the help of a therapist?
Yes! Another possibility is that you are suffering a spiritual loneliness or emptiness caused by not being connected to or with your deepest self or soul so there are several ways to fix that. You could look into meditation practices, T.M., non-duality or Advaita, Buddhism, Yoga, Self esteem work, higher self subjects or google: who/what am I? and see where those concepts/teachings can take you. Yearning for a lost spiritual home or self can be quite painful yet totally misunderstood by Religions and conventional culture.
good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology