Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 04:22 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
There were plenty of badasses around then... remember the Rolling Stones?
I like the Stones. But, badass?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 05:02 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
I got one my latest car magazines and saw an advertisement for a shop with the owner in the latest "tough guy" pose, arms crossed, sunglasses and scowl on his face. The thing is, I know this guy and he is one of the nicest guys in the world. The marketing people insist that he pose this way as it is the new image.

When I was a kid (I'm 60 now) our roll models were the good guys that wore the white hats. Roy Rogers, Ward Cleaver, John Wayne, etc. People smiled when they got their picture taken. Being polite and decent gained respect.

Now it seems that everyone (men and women) want to project an image of "don't mess with me". What happened? Was it video games, hip hop culture, WWE, MMA, monster trucks, Orange County Choppers, all of the above?

It's like so many people never matured past 17 years old. I see the all black baggy clothing, full sleeve tats (and face tats!), flat bill hats, dark sunglasses and the perpetual scowl. Lot's of anger and aggression.

I remember looking at photos from the 1800's and nobody smiled back then either. My thinking was that life was very hard then and they had to project an image of being tough so people would not mess with them. But now, life is very easy comparatively. Most people live fairly comfortable lives with no immanent danger. So why do so many adopt this hard look? Any theories?
It sells.
Try not to over-think stuff.

I take the attitude of enjoy life , no-one gives a rats tail about your opinions of anything.
The attitude doesn't stop it but its a constant reminder and steers me back to the path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology