Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Are they really? That's news to me.
Yes, they are. I first became aware of this phenomenon 30 years ago in college and nothing has changed. "Everybody must get stoned", I call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Maybe they just think you need to chill out.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:44 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
same reason some people who drink think everyone else should join them. I'm lucky as my friends are not like that - I don't drink usually and have stopped using pot.

However, I have used pot previously for medical purposes, and it was a HUGE help. I don't particularly like being stoned (and now can't be after another company bought us), but a light buzz when socializing is far more pleasant than getting tipsy with alcohol. When my elderly father comes to live with me, I will be encouraging him to indulge since he currently relies on medication to sleep and when he visited he actually slept better after smoking some pot or eating an edible than he did with the pills.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:49 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Thanks !!

Oh for the record we have had people get highly upset when they are told they can't light up in our home.
We don't allow tobacco or alcohol use in our home much less marijuana.
Parties must be a blast at your house

I have not had people I know who smoke pot running around trying to get others to smoke. But the conversations about pot vs alcohol are plenty, and the pot smoker almost always rationalizes how much "safer" pot is due to many comparable studies like drunk driving deaths, alcoholism, cancer with cigarettes, etc. Hell, if it's good for medicinal purposes must be OK.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:58 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
But the conversations about pot vs alcohol are plenty, and the pot smoker almost always rationalizes how much "safer" pot is due to many comparable studies like drunk driving deaths, alcoholism, cancer with cigarettes, etc. Hell, if it's good for medicinal purposes must be OK.
Plus, that leaves out the fact that pot hasn't been studied as much as alcohol because of its status as a controlled substance by the DEA and the FDA.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:59 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
It's just human nature to have one's peers put the stamp of approval on their behavior. What's easier than joining the party?

Old 04-12-2017, 01:14 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
I think it happens with ANY illicit type behavior. It's got to be justified.

My DIL tokes daily. When we're all together, she tries hard to get me to participate. I very rarely do.

Is getting high on pot fun? Oh yeah. And you sleep like a baby.

But it's illegal. So I don't need to start another bad habit.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Bummer, but this in no way represents the "IT sector." Computers and pot go together like chocolate and peanut butter.
True story. I'm in IT too, and I have a medical script, as do most of my co-workers. I've point blank been told it's overlooked in drug tests and that they look for harder drugs (here, anyhow.) I'm more of an edible girl, but I do have a vape pen. I do not push it on anyone I know, however. People are usually very surprised when they find out I'm a bit of a pothead, too--I also don't make a big deal of it. I don't "fit the stereotype," I've been told.

Just add to the list why I try to never judge people or make assumptions...and if I do, I always own up to it!

Old 04-12-2017, 01:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
There was a thread in the Retirement forum a few years ago dealing with marijuana use among older people. That was the first time that I became aware of this frantic need to have company in their addiction as well as their genuine hatred of those of us who don't share their need. One specimen accused me of racism and referred to me as "Hateful in Wyoming" because I stated that I despised both drugs and the people who use them. I suspect that he was using his miracle drug while in the discussion.

They know that they're on the margins of society. They know that ordinary people do not see them as wise people sharing mystic experiences. They know too that they can never be normal members of society.since they need their drug-induced euphoria to face life. Alcoholics have the same need for euphoria, but not for acceptance. Few ordinary people care to have either group around them.

Alcoholics frequently have shorter life spans than normal. It's too soon to to have much information on the long term effects of marijuana use, but I wouldn't be surprised if life expectancy were below the norm.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:21 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
And have to share? No freakin' way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology