Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 04:33 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

For me, it'd have to be rabies.

100% death rate once the very first symptom shows up.

Get chained onto a hospital bed and left to writhe and suffer the most agonizing slow death possible for weeks until the virus is finished with you.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Rare diseases don't prey on my mind much.

Common ones I've seen loved ones suffer from bother me much more.

Alzheimer's in particular.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Actually your 100% statistic is not entirely accurate. It's pretty damned near 100% but a paltry few actually survive rabies. I don't have the number but it is vanishingly small.

It is possible to contract rabies with no known vector, but mostly an animal bite is involved so of course if you get bitten by an animal that can't be determined to be rabies free is you get the treatment. (BTW they have done away with the shots in your abdomen if what I hear is true.) The most common exception is cave explorers inhaling the feces dust of rabid bats.

It's kind of silly to talk about rare diseases.

In the real world of diseases people actually catch cancer would be my #1 fear. Fortunately my family has zero incidence of cancer going back as far as I'm aware of.

My aunt and grandfather were both smokers; both died from emphysema/COPD/complications. There's a lesson for everybody here including me: lifestyle choices often determine the terms of your final demise.

Myself, I'm focusing on a healthful diet, exercise, and avoidance of nasty things like smoking and drugs. If it weren't for my enjoyment of wine I would have zero bad habits!

Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Mine is rabies too.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:56 PM

Just how likely do you think it would be that you could be in danger of catching rabies?

Standard treatment for dog bites when the biter can't be tracked down is to give the treatment just in case.

Here, this sums it up completely, and also supports my earlier assertion that a rare few people do survive rabies:

Rabies Treatment - Mayo Clinic

The principal places where you can catch rabies without being bitten are inside caves from infected, and in some wild areas where rabid animals have died and decomposed into infected dust, or you come into contact with the dead animal.

If you want some more fun things to worry about think about Hanta virus.

Oh and then there's those spiders, I forget which ones at the moment. They bite you, a week later you got a ring around the bite: run, run, run to your doctor!

Wow, this is a really fun topic... Not.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 PM

130 posts, read 71,823 times
Flesh eating bacteria

Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 PM

I don't fear that but it is a serious disease, and even worse it often has iatrogenic causes (relating to illness caused by medical examination or treatment) i.e. gets caught in hospitals due to medical staff not following adequate hygienic practices like not washing hands in soap and water between patients.

Hey if you wanna feed your terror (an unwarranted fear IMO) just read this article:

7 Terrifying Small Organisms That Can Mess you up

I wish I could post the whole article. Even better if you had a webcam and I could watch your behavior as you read it!

Old 04-23-2017, 06:55 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I think the same way. Alzheimer's is what scares me as I age since it runs in my family.

For some of the really rare disease like flesh-eating bacteria or whatever else, No. I don't give it much thought. If I knew personally someone who was infected by something rare such as that, then I probably would give it more thought in regards to myself.

I really do not think much about getting rabies. Now and then as time permits I'm around animals (dogs and cats) some and I try not to fear getting bitten, but it's a risk you take if you volunteer with animal rescue groups.

Life has lots of risks, you just try to use good judgment and proceed with caution and awareness.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:

Amen.

Quote:

My wife suffered 3 1/2 years from non-Alzheimer's frontotemporal dementia along with corticobasal degeneration (a neurological impairment). Being her primary caregiver, I saw what dementia is like, up front and personal.

So another Amen.

And if I ever experience any signs, my dad's .38 is nearby and handy.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:58 AM

Before you eat that gun it might be a good idea to check out treatment for your condition. New treatments are always being introduced, and you may have another 20 years of enjoyable life before your symptoms get serious, and that would be 20 years of your life you missed by taking an early out.

You can always take the off ramp from life when your symptoms get serious.

Actually I think we should legalize assisted suicide, terminating your life painlessly in a medical setting. I'd hate to eat my gun although I suspect it wouldn't hurt for very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology