Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:12 AM

676 posts, read 527,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke_D View Post
Idk, lots of good replies, but most seem to be driven by idealism.

In the end do average people really love themselves that much or do they mostly fall into a state of codependency with other people or even things?

The path of least resistance and all that...

I'm actually starting to think that the idea of the self actualized human is mostly a myth.
Agreed. But, it is not because it is unattainable or idealistic. It is simply that people are generally lazy and not overly introspective.

Path of least resistance indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM

679 posts, read 876,943 times
I have been living with a severely depressed, brain-damaged person for three years and I can tell you that nothing external including other people, can provide lasting happiness. It doesn't matter how wonderful your life is, how fabulous your kids are, how much money you have, how loving your wife is, if you cannot appreciate the intangible, the beauty of simply being alive, you will never truly be happy. That is the case with my husband. For him, it's a result of organic damage to the brain. For others, it's their outlook on life or attitude. They don't understand it's their responsibility to make themselves happy.

Conversely, despite my almost intolerable situation (which is close to an end, thankfully), I am finding that it is possible to still experience joy, regardless of what's going on around you. It has taken a long time, but I'm getting there.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:35 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times
There is a saying that goes, " Success is getting what you want, happiness is enjoying what you have."

But the basic truth is "Dust to dust"
Nothing lasts forever.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:43 PM

678 posts, read 437,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Of course, it's true that nobody is responsible for your happiness.
CONTEXT is everything. So when ? IS a human, or 2 ++ Responsible... for another's happiness ?

Well, it starts BEFORE birth, when 1 baby (or 2, or 4, or more) are developing... in those critical few months.
During this time,
each of us had much less *choices*: we were captive in that little bag. - iow ALL of mom's emotions & decisions are FELT by the Developing... person.

Truthfully, EVERY baby deserves the *BEST* emotions of especially mommy.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:24 PM

678 posts, read 437,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke_D View Post
Idk, lots of good replies, but ...

I'm actually starting to think that the idea of the self actualized human is mostly a myth.
Um, think Again Burke.

I know of enough... Olympic champions. etc as "self-actualized": their soul Saved , Mind as positive as you can get, & Body healthy

Stop asking those who are not, and instead be-friend, & be mentored... by people who ARE "self-actualized"

Old 05-20-2017, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 2,350 times
Our life depends in a great deal on us, from our individuality and, accordingly, from our ideas, desires, persuasions, feelings. To be successful means to improve yourself every day and Mantastic Life program helps me to be the owner of my life.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I don't thinking seeking happiness is worthwhile. I think happiness is found in the moment, while you are busy doing other things. I think it is smart to try to improve your environment so you are not miserable, but seeking happiness doesn't work.

Happiness happens.

IMO, what keeps many of us (me included) from being happy is the destructive self talk we do in our heads. And I also think people don't know how to be thankful for small things--or big things many times. But you can't make yourself happy for very long. I believe happiness is state of mind that people who understand their blessings and who do not live in the past reach because of their mental habits.

So, IMO, no one is responsible for making me happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology