Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 02:05 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,755,140 times

Advertisements

Has anybody tried those remote therapy services like texting or calling a therapist whenever you need one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 05:13 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,048,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Has anybody tried those remote therapy services like texting or calling a therapist whenever you need one?
If you need someone to co-sign your BS, theres always someone who will take your money.
Or do like everyone else here and post away, the enablers will be along asap.

People do therapy because, at some level they are lying to themself or they wouldn't have a problem in the first place.

F2F is a lot harder to fool.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:25 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,755,140 times
I've posted here and done F2F amd still not satisfied.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:00 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,048,968 times
Quote:
I've posted here and done F2F amd still not satisfied.
Then you are faced with 2 conclusions,

1. either you cannot get honest at the level required.
2. or, you have placed your reliance on something that isn't Powerful enough to solve your problem.

I'd say number 2.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:40 PM

70 posts, read 93,565 times
Just like any other form of therapy, it works for some people, and for others it doesn't. It's all about finding out what works for you. If it's an emergency/crisis situation, it's not the best option and most online therapists would refer you to the local ER or crisis center, but for your regular therapy it could be a good option. It's all trial and error to find what works for you.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times
The practice is currently very limited in the US mainly because healthcare insurance companies object to it, thinking they are not getting their money's worth.

There is also a HIPPA problem but there are P2P websites currently accepted by psychological societies, encrypted therapist-patient connections that are already accepted but often blocked in practicality because of the issue I mentioned above.

My own opinion is that tele-therapy will become increasingly available in the coming years. However at the same time I can see that they may lose a certain rapport of an in-person consultation, a face-to-face encounter between therapist and patient.

I have mixed opinions on the concept at this time. I'm not sure if it would be a good thing or not. Ultimately, I think it will probably be the paradigm as urban traffic gets worse and so as telecommuting to work goes, probably teletherapy will go too.

In any case, IMO teletharapy would always be better than NO therapy. Hands down!

Note that if you have face-to-face issues, then you should IMO face that issue and resolve it before you consider teletherapy. If you can't face-to-face with people you will never solve that problem until you can meet somebody face-to-face without issues.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times
Quote:
Just to add, your relationship with a therapist is NOT like calling a 900 number. A successful therapeutic is likely to require many months maybe even years to yield ultimate success.

There is no viable thing such as a random therapist. Call the suicide hot line if you need something like this. If not that bad, make several intake/interview appointments with therapists your healthcare plan supports, then go with your gut feelings and pick the one you like the best.

Switch if you change your mind. Nothing in psychotherapy than knowing your psychologist over a period of months or years. Both patient and therapist gain cumulative knowledge about each other that is invaluable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology