Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:33 AM

745 posts, read 479,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic View Post
I got a kick out of the posters who said I should not be concerned and mind my own business. It is my business and yours too! If people do everything they can to look just terrible and it becomes a fad that shows our society is breaking down.
Do you ever tell these people they are "breaking down" society? Let's say the way people look is actually "breaking down" society and the only way to fix it is for men to shave everyday and wear pink polo shirts and dockers with penny loafers at a minimum. And I guess women will have to wear Hillary pantsuits and go to a beauty salon once a week.

How do we go about actually making this happen to repair society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:44 AM

25,946 posts, read 22,098,104 times
One size fits all clothing. Not getting exercise or eating healthy. I have noticed over the years that people have become less than clean when it comes to personal hygiene. I know at Wal-Mart, they have 1/2 of an aisle dedicated to stuff to spray to cover up stinky odors versus just clean it.

Also, many people are working longer hours trying to make ends meet. People are tired and that isn't a good look on anyone.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:55 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
One size fits all clothing. Not getting exercise or eating healthy. I have noticed over the years that people have become less than clean when it comes to personal hygiene. I know at Wal-Mart, they have 1/2 of an aisle dedicated to stuff to spray to cover up stinky odors versus just clean it.

Also, many people are working longer hours trying to make ends meet. People are tired and that isn't a good look on anyone.
Totally agree on the second point! Men and women are both expected to work full time now, things have changed. We need more free time to take care of ourselves.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Everywhere I go today I see people who look just terrible. It seems like they do everything they can to look unkempt, ugly, ungroomed, and generally nasty. Unlike people who have pride in their appearance, they seem to do everything they can to make themselves look terrible.

Chick on this link below for examples of what I am talking about:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mug+...w=1600&bih=770

WHY?
As life gets easier and easier for humans here in America, we become very lazy and sort of an I don't care attitude. Just look at how people dress on an airplane. Years ago people would actually want to look groomed, not it is more pajamas and whatever. Kind of gross, but American culture is what it is. This isn't a global thing either. Go to Germany, Japan or any Nordic country and you will see people dressed well. Life is harder in most of those countries because weather in the north, or have no real natural resources like Japan. There is some pride that goes along with making it in tougher places. We have it ALL in the USA. We can grow more food than we can consume, we have oil, we have all climates covered and more. The ease of life makes people less busy and they develop a who cares thingy. It has taken hold in the US unless you live in a very affluent area where people still have pride.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:43 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,026 times
Just a thought but how about not worrying about how someone looks and concentrate on the important things like the strength of their character, are they a decent person, are they kind, are they a productive member of society etc.?

Old 05-14-2017, 07:52 AM

28 posts, read 27,740 times
I travel all over the world and even in third world nations, you don't see as many dirty, sloppy and ugly people as America.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:21 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Who said anything about girdles? You can wear a skirt without a girdle

It was me. I mentioned girdles because the OP was discussing how better everyone looked back in the day. Women wore girdles then so looked "smoother". Before that, women forced themselves into corsets and looked even "better". Need I go on?

'Course you can wear a skirt without a girdle! Sheesh.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:31 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Most people would look much better if they simply lost the extra weight they're carrying around.

After that, add stop smoking, doing drugs/alcohol, etc..
Exactly. I live in Texas and there are just so many obese people here! Little kids obese with little rolls around their middles.

But they continue to eat carbs as directed by the government approved food pyramid. No wonder, really.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:34 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
I travel all over the world and even in third world nations, you don't see as many dirty, sloppy and ugly people as America.

That's interesting. We recently retired to So. America, and I am constantly amazed at how the particular trend of ripped, white-spotted jeans has taken hold here. 90% of the population here is pudgy/overweight and those skin-tight jeans do them no favors. And skin-tight tops on the women, so every roll and bulge is clearly outlined. I don't think those jeans are cheap either, and how do they afford them on an average $400 a MONTH income?

It's fascinating that when we were growing up, "unsightly" bulges and rolls were to be hidden by loose clothes. Now they are embraced and shown off by form-fitting tight clothing.

Well, I'm gonna roll with it and sashay unabashed to the pool in my 2-piece. So, I guess the trend has its upside!

Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
I guess all of us are too busy living life to care about being impeccably dressed 100% of the time. I took a ten mile bike ride yesterday and my hair looked really bad after I got off the bike. I was also hot and sweaty, but I went to the nursery and bought a bunch of plants. I also stopped at a restaurant and picked up something for dinner looking like that. Why take a shower to go play in the dirt? Life happens to active people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology