Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:28 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times

Advertisements

Everyone is quite impressive!

I guess retirement in December will be out of my comfort zone after total of 45 years of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:25 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Not big things but I forced myself to go to the flea market with a friend. I now understand why I resisted going to flea markets all my life.

Went on a date on Sunday. Remembered why I prefer to be alone.

So I went out of my comfort zone to do both of these things and realized sometimes we have a comfort zone for a good reason.
That bold bits is very true. our culture is so focus on everyone thriving and moving up and pushing beyond comfort zone that we forget sometimes there is good reason for those comfort zone & its nice to have stability. However, most times especially for younger folks the comfort zone is due to not knowing any better or trying the other side.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:34 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Yesterday I applied for a new job. My current job has almost zero customer interaction. This job I applied for would have regular customer interviews. I know most people in my department are there because they dread talking to customers. But this is a step up, more money and more skills. So, I'm taking the plunge! Wish me luck!

Old 05-25-2017, 12:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Yesterday I applied for a new job. My current job has almost zero customer interaction. This job I applied for would have regular customer interviews. I know most people in my department are there because they dread talking to customers. But this is a step up, more money and more skills. So, I'm taking the plunge! Wish me luck!
That sounds great! Just the fact that you applied shows you have already confronted the issue of dealing with people. Trust me, as a guy who fixed his own discomfort with people (shyness), you will start out feeling uncomfortable but as you build experience and meet new people you will find yourself in an entirely new zone of comfort! Embrace it! Six months from now you won't recognize your old self, and you'll probably be enjoying the game of making sure each new customer leaves with a smile on his or her face. And then one day you'll realize it isn't a game at all; it's the new, comfortable with people genuine you! Wishing you the best!

Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
Last month i went to a book club with complete strangers in an effort to meet new people and do something social (which i had a thread about)... that was big for me...but even bigger? i went out to dinner with them after the meeting!!

had a great time, next meeting is next week!

Old 05-25-2017, 06:10 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Facebook reminder reminded me of a post I made several years ago saying "I grew up in a small bubble that every time I turn I push my boundaries". That was over half decade ago. Now my bubble has gotten bigger and I have settled down & haven't thought about my boundaries in while.

So my question to everyone is, what is the last thing you did (could be small or big) that was outside your comfort zone?

Goal is to motivate each other to keeping pushing because growth is outside our comfort zone
I'd rather not say, you understand.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:16 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I am traveling to a town I am unfamiliar with (and I'm not great at directions. Thank goodness for GPS, though) to deliver artwork. I recently got a request for my art from a gift shop museum in this town and was thrilled. Usually I'd ask my husband or a friend to come with me, but I'm just hopping in my car and doing it myself this time.
You shouldn't, its risky.
WHat if something goes wrong, what if they don't like it, what if you get lost , what if what if what if...

Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Last month i went to a book club with complete strangers in an effort to meet new people and do something social (which i had a thread about)... that was big for me...but even bigger? i went out to dinner with them after the meeting!!

had a great time, next meeting is next week!
OMG I am so envious of you! Although a writer, I think I should probably join some readers' groups too!

I can't imagine that there are any writers who are not bookworms at heart.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I'd rather not say, you understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You shouldn't, its risky. What if something goes wrong, what if they don't like it, what if you get lost , what if what if what if...
Jonesy, you are being such a bad boy!

Alas, some grrls like bad boys!

Old 05-27-2017, 07:40 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
speak in front of a crowd....

not my favorite thing to do but have to sometimes at work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology