Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 01:45 PM

1,347 posts, read 936,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
They are upset because their lives suck and they either don't know what to do to fix the problem, or won't discipline themselves and do whatever it takes. To be fair, some people get themselves into situations that have no solution. Their lives permanently suck.

So they are upset all the time and they take it out on everybody around them. Perhaps they blame other people because they can't admit they caused their problems themselves.

But we have a way to fix their problems. We stay away from them!
Bingo.

I will also add - some perpetually upset people seem to get an adrenaline rush or a kind of perverse enjoyment out of it - it's what fires them up. I have a relative like this. Avoidance is the best strategy, since there will always be SOMETHING they are in a twist about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 02:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,007,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Bingo.

I will also add - some perpetually upset people seem to get an adrenaline rush or a kind of perverse enjoyment out of it - it's what fires them up. I have a relative like this. Avoidance is the best strategy, since there will always be SOMETHING they are in a twist about.
Thanks, Indy. You're right, some people seem to get a rush out of the drama. Their lives suck so they make things even by trying to make our lives suck too. They feed on the pain they cause. They enjoy being nasty people.

But as we agreed, we can avoid them, and furthermore we can take our consolation that we are good people and they are not. Being the way they are is its own punishment.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:16 PM

22,934 posts, read 18,241,391 times
I hate those business phone routing systems that tell you to enter your account number, credit card number, birthdate, access code as well as the birthdates of every relative you have before the system routes you to the person you need. Then the first thing that person does is ask you for all the information you just gave.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:24 PM

20,244 posts, read 14,473,951 times
I do try to keep negative people out of my life and affairs, but one can't help but run into them in life from time to time. Like a neighbor, who is just there and not much I can do about that. Other than move, which eventually I will. But there isn't any guarantee on what sort of neighbors I'll have at my next residence either. Just part of life.

So yes, avoid 'em, and also, try not to let their negative vibes stress me.

Another annoying neighbor that I have, walks around the sidewalks between his apartment and the parking lot, every couple of seconds he has to loudly hawk and spit. This is bad enough, out in public on a public sidewalk (but one yanno, where kids play and stuff, so ew)... But when I lived with my ex, he smoked out in the garage, and would spit nasty filth all over the garage floor. I was constantly paranoid about it being tracked in all over the house. Gross.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:04 PM

5,325 posts, read 8,497,330 times
You know what is even worse than landscaping crews using leaf blowers?

Having a neighbor who IS a landscaper, who owns his own personal leaf blower, and enjoys using it to keep his patio free from dust.

One day I was home and he was going crazy with his leaf blower. I had a raging migraine- an actual migraine, not just a bad headache I am calling a migraine- and the sound felt like jackhammers in my head. I put in my custom-made ear plugs, went into the bathroom, shut the door, turned on the fan, turned on the shower, and I could STILL hear the darn thing outside.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:23 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,173,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Kids of immigrants running and screaming in public and the parents do nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Illegal parents paying with food stamps while pregnant and 6 of their other kids running and screaming around them.
People who bring politics into every discussion they have. I can't imagine them being the most pleasant of company to keep.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 AM

509 posts, read 481,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
People who bring politics into every discussion they have. I can't imagine them being the most pleasant of company to keep.
Amen to that. It is like a kind of autism or tone deafness.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I agree with that. The Psychology section of C-D is no place to post politically charged comments.

There was no need to bring up the subject of immigration status when those complaints are equally relevant to all screaming children issues and parents who won't control them, and not just those of immigrants.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:24 PM

20,244 posts, read 14,473,951 times
They just sat a new guy at work next to me, a mere few feet away. The annoyance is that he is a very loud breather. I don't know if he's got a cold or respiratory issues or if he's just like this, but he breathes audibly and every few seconds he heaves this big loud sigh. Don't know why but it is a bit annoying. Feel like I'm being oversensitive though maybe.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Back before all the anti-smoking regulations were passed it was legal to smoke at work as long as the employer didn't mind. I was working for a small company and all the engineers (4-5 of us) worked in one moderate sized room. The guy who had the desk next to me was a chain smoker and I had quit smoking maybe 5-10 years earlier. The employer didn't mind and my job was sort of "iffy" so all I could do was try to breathe in a different direction when he lit up.

I am so glad they've passed so many anti-smoking regulations! Those who are younger and don't smoke have no idea how bad it was for non-smokers a few decades ago.

The one remaining regulation we need is to set a minimum distance from entrances/exits of buildings before outdoor smoking is allowed, maybe 30 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology