Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 08:11 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times

Advertisements

OK, going to a business where you sit-down and stay for a while. If 2 or more women are there.....so many times they get so loud with the cackling and laughing, it is truly annoying. And it seems like these LOUD women either really don't care or they are oblivious to how loud and rude they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 PM

47 posts, read 42,849 times
Steel appliances and smudging. They always smudge.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 AM

50,695 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I take those "baby on board" signs as a warning. This driver is probably short of sleep and might be seriously distracted. Keep an eye on 'em and get away from them if you can.

I live in an apartment complex. My ex husband used to complain about any kind of neighbor noise, it was great that our financial circumstances eventually got us into single family homes, listening to him constantly plot war on the neighbors was damn tiresome. Of course he found new things to complain about in the 'burbs. Like where and how the neighbors parked their cars. Again with the plotting war. Of course he would then do the same things he complained about...because nothing he does is ever wrong and everything everyone else does is always wrong. Of course.

So I am not usually annoyed by neighbor noises. I am, however, annoyed by negativity. Fighting. As in the woman downstairs, who is a shrew, and how sorry I feel for her poor husband. She is constantly screaming at everyone. Cussing up a blue streak at their toddler. You cannot tell a 4 year old to go potty without using the F-word? Really? And the other day, she loudly chewed out the UPS man who came to deliver something to her.

I don't get why some folks are so upset all the time. I don't want to spend my life like that. I'm feel like asking them if they realize, that they only get a limited time here, and is this REALLY how they mean to spend it?

I have another neighbor who is an older solitary cat lady, and one day I sat on my balcony and listened to her lecture her cat, Meeko, who is apparently a very naughty boy and spent more than his allotted amount of daily time outdoors and needs to listen to mommy and come inside. I was amused, if only at how futile it seems to lecture a cat about anything.
I talk to my bf's cats like that, lol. I also had an ex like yours, although we weren't married. thank God. We were at dinner once in an outdoor seating area and there was a baby out there cooing....not crying. simply cooing, and that was enough to send him into his dark "I hate all people" place and ruin our entire night. Another time he went off on a teenage server at an ice cream shop then stomped out the door, because he thought his cone looked more like a regular than a large.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I hate those business phone routing systems that tell you to enter your account number, credit card number, birthdate, access code as well as the birthdates of every relative you have before the system routes you to the person you need. Then the first thing that person does is ask you for all the information you just gave.
Yes, 1000 times yes!!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Even I could accept a credit card payment (although I don't have a business). There's a company called Square where you can get a free credit card swipe reader that plugs into your smartphone earphone jack and works with an app on your phone. You set up an account with them and connect it to your bank account and you are ready to accept credit charges. I used mine only once, on my own card just to see if it worked, and it did. I've never used it since but I believe they charge 2.75% processing fees, which is IMO quite good. But of course most people including me don't need to accept credit card payments.

I don't know where selhars lives but it's my understanding that USPS accepts cash or debit cards, but not credit cards (because of the processing fee). If you charge $100 at a merchant they might get $97 due to processing fees. USPS won't sell on the cheap.

More and more lately I use cash for small charges and put it on my credit card only if it gets above $25-$30 because it's too much a hassle to check the validity of your credit card statements with a bunch of nickel and dime charges. I bet at least 80% of my charges are automatic payments for cellphone, cable TV, etc. I use a debit card for gas.
Most post offices DO take cards. OP went into one of those older historic post offices though, the whole place was tiny compared to a regular post office. Maybe there is some reason that particular one doesn't, or maybe their machine was simply out of service the day OP was there.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:18 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Most post offices DO take cards. OP went into one of those older historic post offices though, the whole place was tiny compared to a regular post office. Maybe there is some reason that particular one doesn't, or maybe their machine was simply out of service the day OP was there.
I live in the big city. I'll ask next time I visit my USPS.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 AM

1,088 posts, read 576,863 times
People who can't be bothered to use grammar when speaking. They use sentences beginning with "He don't..." or "They don't got..."

Old 07-18-2017, 09:05 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
1. People who tail gate!

2. People who want it all, for instance, I don't believe people should be allowed to smoke inside any building, however, smoking outside is fine...and for people who walk past it, and want that changed, I say, hogwash! Your only passing them by, in a few seconds it will all be over.

3. People who are smothering and feel they've got to have everything you have.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:18 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
2. People who want it all, for instance, I don't believe people should be allowed to smoke inside any building, however, smoking outside is fine...and for people who walk past it, and want that changed, I say, hogwash! Your only passing them by, in a few seconds it will all be over.
I think it is unreasonable to send the smokers outside to smoke, and then let them do it right next to the main entrance.

I have one building I visit frequently where the doors are recessed about 20 feet until I reach the doors to the lobby, and this entrance area is recessed under the second floor and enclosed on both sides of the building, creating a sort of cave of calm air.

I'm glad this doesn't happen too often but when people stand in that area smoking I have to walk through a poisonous cloud of tobacco smoke before I can enter the lobby and escape it. I shouldn't have to do this.

There should a requirement of a minimum distance from the building entrance before smoking is allowed, perhaps 20-30 feet.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,783,241 times
I bought a rug and it's slippery on the tile in our bathroom, so I bought a non-slip surface to put under the slippery rug and now the rug just slips off the non-slip surface. I might as well just get a slip n' slide for outside my shower and cut out the middle man at this point.

I have things figured out, however. A few stitches should do the trick. (In the rug and backing, not on human residents!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology