Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:04 PM

50,186 posts, read 35,859,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm impressed at my local USPS workers not only at the office but letter carriers too! If they don't care they are certainly good at faking it, and faking good humor. As a result of my business I am a frequent USPS customer, and when I meet my letter carrier as she loads up our CBU (cluster box unit) she and I chat and she hands me my mail without even asking my name! This is like a x15 CBU yet she knows me! That's because I treat her as I would any people, all of them unique and valuable enough to relate to as individuals.

It first I didn't get what carts you were talking about. I was starting to think medieval!

My related peeve is that the market doesn't provide enough corrals and you have to take it back to the market entrance. However in my usually good mien and physical fitness enthusiasm I just treat it as more reps. For the same reason I often take stairways and eschew elevators. I mean, Jeez! They have stair-stepper machines at my gym. Use them yet take elevators? Where's the sense in that?

I wish they would provide "rider" carts but without self-propulsion, and have dial-in resistance settings for the bicycle pedals.
I always thought it was funny to see people driving around and around the gym parking lot looking for a close space before they go in and get on the treadmill.

Our markets generally have cart corrals in every couple of aisles, I usually have to walk a max of maybe 25 feet. But I have literally seen people leave their carts in their parking spot right NEXT to the cart corral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 08:27 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,176,244 times
One thing that annoys me is when people put a period at the end of a question instead of a question mark. I refuse to believe that everyone who does this just doesn't know the proper way to write a question. Is it just laziness? If so, how does using a period instead of a question mark save any time? I see this a lot lately, yes even on City-Data!

Another annoyance is when people in stores (it usually seems to be grocery stores) block an aisle with their cart, and are oblivious to the fact that other people are there and need to be able to pass. Then when you say "excuse me" to them, they move their cart like one millimeter so you are lucky if you can just squeeze by.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:30 PM

710 posts, read 580,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Funny, that doesn't happen to me, and I often do that. Perhaps it is my engaging smile that obligates them to recognize me as a fellow human.
Maybe so. I know when it happens to me, I regret just not letting the door slam in their face.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,005,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I always thought it was funny to see people driving around and around the gym parking lot looking for a close space before they go in and get on the treadmill.
OMG you got me good ocnjgirl. I plead guilty to trying to find the closest parking spot. All I have as an excuse is that I urgently want to get in and hit the 'chines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Our markets generally have cart corrals in every couple of aisles, I usually have to walk a max of maybe 25 feet. But I have literally seen people leave their carts in their parking spot right NEXT to the cart corral.
I almost wonder if my local supermarket has removed some of the corrals...

But what the heck, I'm usually game to push the cart back to the door, just more exercise for me.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
One thing that annoys me is when people put a period at the end of a question instead of a question mark. I refuse to believe that everyone who does this just doesn't know the proper way to write a question. Is it just laziness? If so, how does using a period instead of a question mark save any time? I see this a lot lately, yes even on City-Data!
I have sometimes noticed I inadvertently used a period to end a question. Any instance where I did that was purely accidental. Have you ever done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Another annoyance is when people in stores (it usually seems to be grocery stores) block an aisle with their cart, and are oblivious to the fact that other people are there and need to be able to pass. Then when you say "excuse me" to them, they move their cart like one millimeter so you are lucky if you can just squeeze by.
LOLOL! I have my own way of dealing with that! I just stand there and wait. I'm retired. It's not like I have a job to go to. (Okay I'm self employed but I don't go to the market until my biz is dealt with.) I amuse myself by acting nonchalant when they notice me. I smile, and say, "No problem."

Old 05-20-2017, 09:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 8,348,631 times
True story:

Our local convenience store is ramping up ways to use their Rewards card. Some person (no doubt with a four years college degree getting paid alot of money) came up with a marketing idea.
"Hey!! Lets make those with reward cards be able to pump gas and then pay with cash inside!, thus saving them an extra walk! ".

Okay let me get this straight ohh wise marketing person...A: you still make a trip in, and a trip out of the store when paying with cash. What mail in college did you get your degree from!

I am old school, and often pay with cash...our gas stations are still getting targeted with credit card skimmers. Despite having cameras at each of the pumps! Anways, I am pretty sure I don't make an extra trip when paying for my gas...

So my annoyance is with these marketing people. I can seriously THINK for myself...I don't need "a better way" ....What has worked in the past seems to hold its values...This new and improved is annoying!!

Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
True story:

Our local convenience store is ramping up ways to use their Rewards card. Some person (no doubt with a four years college degree getting paid alot of money) came up with a marketing idea. "Hey!! Lets make those with reward cards be able to pump gas and then pay with cash inside!, thus saving them an extra walk!"
I am seriously laughing over this one!

I can:

1. use my rewards card but I have to go inside instead of paying at the pump.

2. pay at the pump and eff the rewards.

3. wait to fill up in a nearby vicinity where gas is 20¢/gallon less with no freakin' card.

You got it! I just gas up in my weekly visits to the nearby vicinity with cheaper gas. I'll still accept the monthly coupons the market mails me, particularly the free paper towels and free bagels.

Since I recognized this I often shop at their nearby competing supermarket with a better bakery and 50% off for last day meat instead of said market's 40% off miserly discount for last day meat.

They retaliated by sending fewer coupons, like I care.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,218,718 times
Used to be you backed out of parking slots slowly so people would see you and wait...now when you back out slowly watching for people they're driving 25 (in a parking lot) and try to raise around behind you rather than wait. And then they honk at you for having the nerve to pull out.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Used to be you backed out of parking slots slowly so people would see you and wait...now when you back out slowly watching for people they're driving 25 (in a parking lot) and try to raise around behind you rather than wait. And then they honk at you for having the nerve to pull out.
I had that happen. Scared the sh** out of me!

I creep out now, slowly block the way with my overly large SUV, and take my time and care to not bump any other vehicles. Honk if you think I'm not being careful enough and I'll take that as a warning to be more deliberate in my de-parking.

Hey! that's a high-five minus four you gestured me! Or was it your IQ? Like I care...

Old 05-20-2017, 11:49 PM

21,898 posts, read 19,046,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post

-"So, I went to the farmers' market? And they were out of free-range kale?"

-"So, I wanted to buy an artisinal beanie? But the Alpaca-wool was not free-trade? And I had already made plans to be in the drum-circle?
this is hilarious! I've read this six or seven times and it still is laugh out loud funny!!!!!
please write books we can buy and enjoy

i haven't laughed this hard since reading David Sedaris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology