Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:54 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times

Advertisements

You can't be shamed without giving someone else power over your state of being.
That responsibility rests with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 06:05 PM

761 posts, read 604,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
By telling anyone who had a problem with it to sod off!!
Yeah, you tell 'em!! (...but, what's a 'sod'??)

Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I'm trying to come up with a good comeback. Maybe, "Okay, you've criticized me, shall I criticize you now?"

Or, "Why do you care what I do in my own house?"

Or, "Hey, animals are a lot cheaper than kids, and you can just put them in cages when you want to go out..."

Or, just loudly change the subject every single time they bring up your animals. Maybe something they hate lol.

"Why do you have so many animals, what's wrong with you?" "Gosh, Mom, when are you ever going to take down that God-Awful wallpaper? It's from the 80's. How can you stand it?"

Or just interrupt and ask what they want to eat for dinner. Like every single time LOL.

"What's wrong with you, why do you have so many animals!?"

"What should we eat for dinner?"

And get your SO on board so it's funny for you. Like if the room gets weird and wants to know why you're asking about dinner, when the subject is your animals, your SO can look at you and say, "You know, hon, I am kind of craving Chinese. How about everyone else? Are you into Chinese for dinner? Nope, we can't have dinner with you, but I'm just really curious what everyone will be eating for dinner tonight...."

Just weird everyone out and make it funny between the two of you. And they'll probably eventually get the idea if you don't want to just confront them all.

I just see you being really defensive about it. If you defend yourself, the type that go for blood will just feed on your defensiveness. Best not to defend yourself or explain yourself if you can get away with it.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:35 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,360,232 times
I'm sorry you're receiving such mean comments, you sound like a great pet lover and pet owner. FWIW, I had 3 cats (plus an assortment of other pets - tadpoles/frogs, lizard, many fish, and probably many I simply cant remember offhand)....while my kids were growing up. And most of their friends had multiple pets, too. I've never received a mean comment due to my pet ownership. My kids are now college age, one is living at home and we have 4 cats, a fish, guinea pig and feed stray cats and baby birds. If someone doesn't like it, it's not my problem.

You can't be shamed unless you let others make you feel that way. Don't let them get to you.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:45 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
When I had quite a few dogs - all rescued - my family members kept telling me to "get rid of them". People who make comments like that don't take in account the relationship you have with your pets and the bond of love between you and them.

So sad they can't relate to any relationship except between people.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Yeah, you tell 'em!! (...but, what's a 'sod'??)
Sorry I don't usually post on this sub forum my love and on my regular one after much translation they've got used to me

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.u...D%26amp%3Dtrue

The short answer is its basically a softer way of swearing

( OP I apologise for going off topic but just for any other enquiring minds )

Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
OP, here's a question: do they talk to you like that in general? Maybe you don't notice, maybe you're lifelong used to it and only notice when they bring your pets into it, since you care so much for them. It seems impossible that a family who was otherwise loving and supportive would single out your animals to go on about and use as an excuse not to visit.

Otherwise, I think you're lucky to know who you are and what you want and to live your life surrounded by creatures who bring you love and joy.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:19 PM

92 posts, read 83,558 times
Honestly, I would ignore anyone who criticizes you. I was a cat mom before I had my child and I'm still a cat mom. I love my cat. I also love my daughter. I understood how important my pet was and I still do.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Sorry I don't usually post on this sub forum my love and on my regular one after much translation they've got used to me

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.u...D%26amp%3Dtrue

The short answer is its basically a softer way of swearing

( OP I apologise for going off topic but just for any other enquiring minds )

Ahhh, one fine day mate we'll 'ave to do a rattle on the ol' dog n bone, take the pi** a bit and then tramp the pub for a pint and a pasty aye? lol, no translation needed for me mate.

Well OP, I truly can't quite fathom how people think it's their business to stick their beaks into your nest. I'm a parent, and very proud of my son, but my own personal experience in this regard doesn't give me a green light to tell you or anyone else how to live. If someone doesn't want children, to me that's a pretty good indicator they shouldn't have any. And that's just flat a good enough reason. Not that you owe anyone any justification.

That's a pretty ...diverse...set of animals you have. I must say I'm impressed. It must take a serious amount of knowledge to know how to care for so many different types of critters. Your schedule must be pretty hectic just keeping up with who needs fed what at what times. I can see how the animals give you a sense of satisfaction. Doesn't sound to me as if you and your husband have any voids that have to be filled. You're on the path you choose to take, so...I'd just stay on it,and as me English matey says, anyone who doesn't approve can just sod off. That is all I have to say....

Old 05-22-2017, 08:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
So long as they are well cared for and NOT seen as a prized possession, they are welcome to boast of their extended furry friend.

Like most living things...some folks do have a tendency to go overboard with their pets.

Example: I once offered to transport my friend and her endearing pup to the vets. It took 20 minutes of discontent to get that pup in the car. It weighed 18 lbs,yet heavens forbid that she pick the puppy up and place her in the car carrier. She pampered that pup and insisted we should NEVER force a pet into a strange environment. Never mind the fact that HER pup would only eat if she hand fed her. It was sad...it starved for two days when she spent time in the hospital...The dog was so intimidated if anyone OTHER than her fed it or showed any affection to her. So actually I criticize the owners actions for being manipulative and controling down to the diet....It's sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology