Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 AM

676 posts, read 526,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
That works!

OK, well, maybe not.
There are quite a few people out there who will continue to act like jerks if allowed to do so. Many of them are not moved to change this aspect of their character without some sort of strong motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 07:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,977,281 times
I would add, always be polite to this person, and be as kind as you can manage. Maybe once in a blue moon, even give her a little something. Like "Hey, I heard Milky Ways are your favorite candy bar, so when I saw this, I thought of you." Smile and put it on her desk.

Who knows, maybe she'll come to appreciate your kindness...but human nature being what it is, probably not. BUT other people will notice. They'll see that you're always positive and kind, and THAT person is always bitter and negative.

I speak from experience. Take the high road when you can. It can be hard at times, like REALLY hard, but in the long run, people will notice.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:13 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,701,500 times
Ignore them!!

Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 AM

853 posts, read 644,849 times
While I appreciate all your comments and may work sometimes, try to imagine an extreme case that actually exists: what if this individual go further and permanently disrespects you with mild insults: "you are useless", "where did you study? Are you really x professional?", "what are you doing here if you even don't know...?", "you are doing x very poorly"

And what if that individual is trying to de-motivate/humiliate you constantly? It's not happening to me right now but may happens at least once.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:48 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,652,056 times
I agree, Ignore them..even here on C-D there are plenty.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:54 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,488,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
While I appreciate all your comments and may work sometimes, try to imagine an extreme case that actually exists: what if this individual go further and permanently disrespects you with mild insults: "you are useless", "where did you study? Are you really x professional?", "what are you doing here if you even don't know...?", "you are doing x very poorly"

And what if that individual is trying to de-motivate/humiliate you constantly? It's not happening to me right now but may happens at least once.
Why not stand your ground and give it back?

If it's at work it depends on the sector and industry you're in, I'm in construction and yes you get many like ^^^^ so you have to be able to look after yourself and fist fights unfortunately are the only way to handle it at times or at least a screaming match ( you won't necessarily lose your job. )

In an office then definitely stand your ground and raise it by making them feel and inch small and even more insecure than they already are.

It's like with any bullies mate if you show you're not intimidated and you can give as good as you get then they'll leave you alone.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,977,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post

Then go to your HR dept. and report that your co-worker is harassing you. And if it DOES come to that, then document what was said, any witnesses, and the time and date it happened, to show it was a pattern.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 AM

853 posts, read 644,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Then go to your HR dept. and report that your co-worker is harassing you. And if it DOES come to that, then document what was said, any witnesses, and the time and date it happened, to show it was a pattern.
Those things that are so common at work can also be common in other situations. I don't know how professors are in the US but I remember really bad attitude comming from some professors at university when I studied.

This guy can say this to you at your face on spot: "You will not pass my exam even studying all day, all night (laughter)", Electric Engineering and Circuits Professor.

This other guy said that on spot while we were solving a problem, not in a exam: "You don't have a f**ing idea on how to solve this problem". Chemical Engineering Reaction Professor. What? How can a Professor say that to 30 students in a class like any other?

No, my years in university weren't sometimes much fun at all.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:20 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
There's not much you can do about rectums. You'll run into them your entire life. The only thing you can do is try to remain on the high road and deal with them in a way that you would want to be dealt with. Be prepared to fail as well. There are times when calling someone a rectum to their face and eviscerating them with words just feels so damn right.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:48 PM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Kill them with kindness. It will drive them nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology