Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:19 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times

Advertisements

It's not about forgetting or repressing the past, it's about accepting it, owning it and understanding that it is simply a part of who you are.

Repressing is not healthy. Focus on being happy with the person you are now and resolve to keep improving.

And accepting that your past is a part of you, but doesn't have to define who you are now or in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 06:43 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
I seriously doubt that you could find a therapist that could or would repress your memories. Having worked as a psychotherapist, I have never encountered that happening.

I do, however, have two ideas that have proven highly effective:

1-- Find a CBT based (cognitive behavioral therapist) who could assist you in re-structuring and dealing with your thoughts of the past.

2- Try to find a therapist who practices EMDT. It is highly effective, and has been used with excellent success with individuals who are plagued by memories of past abuse. It is a very easy type of therapy, but yields excellent results. I would try to find someone in your area who practices and specializes in it. It is probably your best bet!

Best of luck, and take gentle care!

Old 06-04-2017, 06:47 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Default Correction:

I have a horrible head cold, so please forgive me: The type of therapy that I think would be most effective may be referred to as EMDR, as opposed to EMDT.....Head colds will do that to you: Wipe out your OWN memory, LOL!

Look up BOTH EMDT as well as EMDR. Highly successful in terms of what you are seeking!!!!

Old 06-04-2017, 08:55 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I mentioned a problem I was having before on this site, in this thread:

How Can I Get Over A Shameful Past And Forgive Myself?

Basically I was talking to some friends about it and one of them made a suggestion. What if I could get my memories of a bad past repressed? Do you think that would be a good idea? Usually hypnosis is done to retrieve repressed memories, where as I would be doing the opposite and repressing them in order to forget them, but what do you think?
I can tell you that I have received Past Life Regression therapy. It is basically a hypnotherapy.

My therapist is Linda Gabriel, you can google her if you want.

I lost a boyfriend to suicide several years ago, and I felt I stuck in a very dark place. I can't say nothing really helped, of course joining a support group helped me a great deal, but the turning point of my life definitely started after I received hypnotherapy.

I posted several videos on youtube and have received a lot of interesting responses.

If you really want, you can try it. It is not for everybody, but it looks like you are open to new ideas. So you should give it a try.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:38 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Okay thanks. I tried reading about how EMDT works, but could not grasp the technical concept of it. Could anyone offer a more layman's explanation of it?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:06 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
At this point, OP, yes, try hypnotherapy.

There's no shame in getting help for your issues. You really do need to see someone, so it would be better, IMHO, to start with a behavioral therapist.

But if you want to try hypno, do it. Just do something.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:27 PM

Okay thanks. I tried behavorial before, but it's so much money, were' talking like $160 a session, and since a lot of the shame I feel is about how I threw a bunch money away throughout the years of my past, so it's really hard for me to pay that much for therapy, cause not only do I feel so much shame for wasting money, but now I have face the repercussions on spending what I have now on therapy. This is what I am talking about, about my the past keeps wanting to catch up with me.

I have went to six sessions of BCT, in the past and it worked for a while, but then my shame found a way to cause an immunity to the therapy it seemed.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Okay thanks. I tried behavorial before, but it's so much money, were' talking like $160 a session, and since a lot of the shame I feel is about how I threw a bunch money away throughout the years of my past, so it's really hard for me to pay that much for therapy, cause not only do I feel so much shame for wasting money, but now I have face the repercussions on spending what I have now on therapy. This is what I am talking about, about my the past keeps wanting to catch up with me.

I have went to six sessions of BCT, in the past and it worked for a while, but then my shame found a way to cause an immunity to the therapy it seemed.
It should be a priority for you, over spending on dates etc.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:55 PM

Overspending on dates?

Old 06-05-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Overspending on dates?
Stated more clearly:

Spending money on therapy should rank ahead for you over spending money on dates.

Make getting help a priority. You aren't ready to date successfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology