Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:04 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
But it sort of is. I bet if we were dressed to the nines and looked like we dripped money, they would have treated us better.
No. I've bought high end cars while wearing jeans and a t-shirt. No problems. I wont go into a very nice restaurant dressed in a t-shirt and flip flops tho. Out of respect for the restaurant and fellow patrons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 09:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Someone that is accustomed to nicer things would be able to see that all the diamonds in my ears are real. I can pick out a fake diamond 3' away.

I should not have to dress a certain way to get a certain level of respect and service at any restaurant. If I have the money to actually pay for the meal, I should be served with kindness and respect.
Oh my. High-end cars, high on money, high maintenance and now, "all the diamonds."

Old 06-23-2017, 09:26 AM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I've never heard of it. Never knew anyone who it ever happened to. And actually don't believe it.

People paraphrase. It's like reverse unicorn thinking.

"Hey I love that car"

"I know, right, it's pricey as hell but worth every penny".

"OMG OMG HE SAID I CAN"T AFFORD IT".

It's even possible a salesperson said "We don't do test drives unless the customer is qualified first".

Just like super luxury real estate when someone wants to "see it".
Sorry, but it happened to me. The salesperson used the precise words, "You can't afford it." End of discussion. And he was the only salesperson on the used-car section of the lot; there were no other staff in that area, so I couldn't just pick a different salesman.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:36 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
OK, I am prepared to admit, LowonLuck, that you are confusing in your insistence on saying that you're low income, or poor, while also talking about luxury vacations, diamonds, $70k cars, expensive restaurants, and the lot. I don't judge genuinely poor people for occasionally splurging on something nice, but if you live a consistently high end lifestyle, say that you pay for it yourself, yet say that you are low income and poor...?

What poor looks like to me: Dropping weight because there was literally not enough food to eat, we had no way to pay our rent, and were getting kicked out of our sketchy apartment in Cincinnati with a 4 month old baby. I was walking (no car, let alone a fancy SUV) to a charity that would give us free bread so that I did not die. Eventually ended up briefly homeless until a relative put us on a Greyhound bus and got us to Iowa, where it took a couple of years to get decent jobs and climb out of cockroach-infested tenement poverty (for which I was GRATEFUL because at least I had food, even if I had to keep it in sealed containers, and shelter of any kind is better than none.) What you consider poor...does not sound like what I consider poor.

I wanted to be nice and give ya the benefit of the doubt but even I'm starting to wonder...what the heck?

Did your situation change, or are you really saying that this is what poor looks like for you?

Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Quote:
Well I might be a contradiction. I am low income. I was raised by rich parents. So yes, I do drive an expensive car (I paid for it), live in a big house, and love expensive restaurants and vacations.

My version of poor as I have learned, is nicer than some peoples version of "poor".
But if you have all these things - drive an expensive car, live in a big house and love and can afford expensive restaurants and vacations- you are not poor. You may have less money than the people in your area but you are not exactly poor.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:01 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
I am not insisting it was my dress attire. I specifically said I had no idea what was causing the attitude/ lack of respect in my OP. I just listed what I was wearing to give the full picture before someone asked.
So why do you keep talking about it and participating with others who affirm you?

EXACTLY what is your complaint, then?

Be specific.

1. You didn't get an inside table because they were held for reservations on FATHER'S DAY.

2. You thought the server "slammed down" your water so you flounced. Servers slam water down equally it's not "discrimination".

That's the entire basis of your complaint.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
He was my husband at the time and it became principal for him. He was not paying that kind of money to a company that was downright ignorant to him.
Odd you needed your husband's money and approval since you've got all the diamonds.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I wanted to be nice and give ya the benefit of the doubt but even I'm starting to wonder...what the heck?

Did your situation change, or are you really saying that this is what poor looks like for you?
From what I'm getting, it's all in relation to other people: "high income" husband and boyfriend and parents who fronted the money to buy a foreclosure house. Food stamps before child support; $70K car after.

Child support paying men must be seething reading that LOL.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:48 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
From what I'm getting, it's all in relation to other people: "high income" husband and boyfriend and parents who fronted the money to buy a foreclosure house. Food stamps before child support; $70K car after.

Child support paying men must be seething reading that LOL.
I'm sure her parents kick in some $$$ now and then to help her along. My parents have done that for me in the past too. I use the money for necessary things like paying down my student loan. Or car repairs. Not for frivolous luxuries.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times
People are so ignorant. They think everyone with money or who does well should be decked out and a walking billboard they have money. I am with you, if I want to dine, etc, and not have to be dressed to the nines, why should I? We all remember Pretty Woman when the sales lady discriminated against her. Most people will not dine or shop at places they cannot afford. I know millionaires who drink cheap wine. Most with money are not blowing it on stupid, unneeded items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology