Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 07:39 AM

651 posts, read 407,574 times

Advertisements

Doesn't it just get to you eventually?

Since my last relationship ended last year I have been living by myself. I mean, it is what it is and I basically was doing fine for a while. But lately I have been feeling really lonely. Like to the extreme.

Its nice to be able to do whatever you want and all that, but at the end of the day, no one is waiting there for me. I can play video games, watch sports or whatever, but that feeling is not going away. I want the intimacy of another human being. I really miss that. People who say that you dont need another person to make you happy/complete are strange IMO. I think there might be something wrong with those who say that.

Anyway, just reflecting on stuff on a Monday morning. Yanno, misery loves company
Its funny how everyone at work is complaining about weekend being too short and I.m like... yeah, not for me. For me its - yay, its Monday!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 07:50 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
You shouldn't make assumptions on something just because you don't understand it/because you can't deal with it yourself. It's like saying those who want or who feel they NEED a companion is mentally weak and emotionally unstable.

There is nothing "wrong" with either lifestyle.

If you want a companion do what you need to do to find one.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 AM

437 posts, read 335,978 times
Some people can do it fine, no worries.

Sounds like u aren't one of those people op.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:08 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
I was really worried about being a homeowner by myself. I was more worried about picking the right house to accommodate another person, while doing it by myself. After conversing with some friends, they reassured me that any house I'd buy would be fine for me, since you're likely going to purchase another house with your potential partner anyways.

Honestly, I love living by myself. It has its moments where it's a little lonely, but I have way more days where I'm happy with my current situation than lonely and wishing I had more. My life zigged when I thought it would zag, but things could be way worse than they currently are. Living on my own is great, because I can do anything that I want to do. Some people can't do it, because they lived with someone from their late teens and on. Whether it was roommates or partners, they never spent any time living alone. I've lived on my own for 6 years now and I've had people stay over, but never had anyone live with me. I'd struggle with someone living with me now, but it would be something that I would have to figure out.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:18 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ same here! I love to live alone!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:15 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Nope, never had a problem with it. Been living along the last 10 years.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:16 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
While cohabitation is indeed desirable, to have someone to come home to, I'd rather be alone than have a person who is just a placeholder. The hard part is finding the one who will have that pull factor that makes it desirable and exciting to come home to. I know too many people who dread coming home to the person waiting there for them. I would want no part of that.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:46 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,042 times
Do you have friends? Hobbies? Date?

If you sit at home staring at the wall then yeah it might get lonely.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I find living alone easy and comfortable. It's the thought of having to share space with someone that makes me feel uneasy. Which isn't to say that I don't enjoy companionship, it just means that they need to go away and be someplace else most of the time.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
I don't mind living alone. It's when I live with people I don't get along with that really sucks. It is nice to have someone to come home to. You should adopt a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology