Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times

Advertisements

See: proud declarations of, "I tell it like it is," and "I don't sugar coat things."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:03 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
I took exception to something a friend did, and she just answered "I guess I'm just a b*tch."
Same thinking, different phrasing. Both mean, "Live with it, I'm not going to accommodate you."

Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
We have a local TV weatherman who says this all the time. He is a bully who insists on asking his colleagues (on the air) what they did or what they ate or where they went on the week-end but objects to answering the same questions from them and he does it in an obnoxious fashion.

He delights in defining himself as a middle-aged gray-haired guy as if that excuses his behavior.

He has legions of fans who see him as funny but those of us who don't have drifted away from the channel.

I have a family member who excuses her adult daughter's behavior with, "Oh, well! That's our Missy!"

When people voice this disclaimer they are admitting that they know their behavior is wrong but will do it anyway.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,118 times
Well, you know what they say.

"Boys will be boys."

Old 07-16-2017, 12:34 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
I've found that the words "Thank you. I'll try to do better." work wonders in the short term and, in the long term I've found it's actually worthwhile to try to do better, even if it's hard.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:13 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Goofball: "That woman really needs to watch her weight."

Me: "That's pretty rude!"

G.B.: "Hey, I'm just keeping it real."

Me: "Reality doesn't depend on your snarky comments."
Had a friend(former) who would say means things under the guise of "being honest"... No she was just being a mean *****...

Old 07-16-2017, 10:08 PM

47 posts, read 42,855 times
This reminds me of a funny blog I read about these men and dating. They ask for a well made up women, heels, fake nails, and full makeup, skydive off cliffs, roam deserts, size 0, tall, model during morning hours, adventurer during day, cooks like a chef, comes home perfect but they must accept them as they 'are.'

Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Some people are just jerks and are not interested in being anything else.

As already mentioned, at least it lets you know they are someone to avoid.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:29 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,987 times
"That's just who I am" is TRUE because it IS who they are. Not everyone will be polite, courteous, well mannered, and treat you well all the time. Maybe you insulted and offended them in some way, and they are bad at hiding their disdain for you.

Fifteen years ago, I had a boss who made me hate myself because she kept telling me everything I was doing was rude and offensive. It was what I said and how I said it, she said. She said it out of love, but NO ONE wants to be judged like that. I walked on eggshells around her because I was scared of saying anything to her because I was afraid she was going to tell me I was rude. It was a TERRIBLE time for me working for her. Terrible for my self esteem and terrible for me emotionally. I cannot help my inherent personality.

Today, I am the same as I was 15 years ago, except that no one in my workplace calls me out for anything I say or do. And I do not call them out for anything they say or do either, and believe me, I'm not the only rude one here.

But the "I'm keeping it real" is a terrible excuse.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:31 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times
What gets me is they seem "proud" to basically come off as azz holes. Smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology