Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times

Advertisements

disclaimer: I am a black male that is looking for specific responses from other black males. ALL opinions and comments are welcomed but I feel like another brother would shed some light into this.

Hey all! For the past couple of years, I feel like black women are starring at me. (sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum. I had no idea where to post this)

Last week, I was conversing with my friend and had my head turned to their direction. One of my friends quietly pointed out to me that this black girl was starring me down hard as she was walking out the door. About time I had a chance to look at her, it was too late, she had already passed me. I had no idea why she was starring at me for so long.

And today, I was driving and I passed by two black girls. (I would say they were in their late teens) As I drove passed them, one of them starred at me before I passed them and turned her head at me after i passed them. (I saw her starring at me in my rear view mirror)

I don't really get starred down by black males too much nor other women from different ethnicities. (although there were a few who have once in a while) I wouldn't consider myself good looking at all. But I'm starting to feel subconscious because maybe the way I carry myself doesn't "mesh well with the black community" In other words, those looks I get are from disapproval.

Even though anyone can jump in and feel free to give me their opinion, I am really curious from other black males or females if this has happened to them OR if they are guilty of starring at other black folks. And I'm not talking about looking at someone for a second, but actual starring for 3 or more seconds.

I know this is probably petty but I'm very curious as to why this is happening. I'm asking my black friends as we speak but any opinions on here are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 01:31 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
It's "staring."

Why do you assume this has anything to do with race? Perhaps you are just "different looking" in general?

Old 07-15-2017, 02:46 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I've seen other women stare at my dates. I think they find them attractive. It doesn't have to do with race. I date across the board, and black, white, brown, if they look good they get attention.
You're probably a handsome guy, who takes care of himself and females take notice. They're probably hoping you'll come talk to them.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:41 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
disclaimer: I am a black male that is looking for specific responses from other black males. ALL opinions and comments are welcomed but I feel like another brother would shed some light into this.

Hey all! For the past couple of years, I feel like black women are starring at me. (sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum. I had no idea where to post this)

Last week, I was conversing with my friend and had my head turned to their direction. One of my friends quietly pointed out to me that this black girl was starring me down hard as she was walking out the door. About time I had a chance to look at her, it was too late, she had already passed me. I had no idea why she was starring at me for so long.

And today, I was driving and I passed by two black girls. (I would say they were in their late teens) As I drove passed them, one of them starred at me before I passed them and turned her head at me after i passed them. (I saw her starring at me in my rear view mirror)

I don't really get starred down by black males too much nor other women from different ethnicities. (although there were a few who have once in a while) I wouldn't consider myself good looking at all. But I'm starting to feel subconscious because maybe the way I carry myself doesn't "mesh well with the black community" In other words, those looks I get are from disapproval.

Even though anyone can jump in and feel free to give me their opinion, I am really curious from other black males or females if this has happened to them OR if they are guilty of starring at other black folks. And I'm not talking about looking at someone for a second, but actual starring for 3 or more seconds.

I know this is probably petty but I'm very curious as to why this is happening. I'm asking my black friends as we speak but any opinions on here are welcomed.
I get stared at all the time. I learned to not let it bother me in most cases. I've had people stare at me while driving to the point where they almost caused an accident. Not good.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:42 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I've seen other women stare at my dates. I think they find them attractive. It doesn't have to do with race. I date across the board, and black, white, brown, if they look good they get attention.
You're probably a handsome guy, who takes care of himself and females take notice. They're probably hoping you'll come talk to them.
Or if they're bat---- loco, like in my case.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Humans do weird things all the time.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:

Well, from the sounds of it it appears that these women see something. ..interesting. I'm not Black, and I have no idea what it may be about your appearance that you feel might be drawing disapproval. But disapproving looks are hard to mistake. The eyes give it away. I'd have to actually see one of these women staring at you to properly read the expressions.

I do know what it's like to be stared at. Especially if I'm wearing shorts, as I have a lot of extensive scarring. Thus I get a LOT of curious stares. That's not drawn up along any ethnic lines, but if something makes you stand out the stares and even questions are inevitable. Since you say it is only ack women who show this interest, there must be something that makes you stand out. I suppose the path of least resistance would be the next time you see a Black lady riveting her gaze on you so would be to ask them. Politely of course. But just ask. The curiosity would be killing me, and that's what I would do were in your shoes.

I know why people stare at me. I often just explain I was in a bad accident when I was young before they say anything, or look away embarrassed. So I recommend you ask the question and get an answer from the source.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:40 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:

If you weren't staring you wouldn't notice if others were.
I believe people stare at me but can't say for certain because I don't look at them.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
No one gets starred at, although some people get stared at.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:58 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Oh, all the time ....... but I am a belly dancer, after all.

What I am saying is that perhaps all of us are stared at by all the others, all the time. Some of us such as those of us who like to perform, like to be up on stage, see it without disadvantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology