Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 PM

11,140 posts, read 7,882,062 times

Advertisements

Hmmmmm... I am a lot happier living in Santa Monica than I was while living in the valley. I am happier with my newer car than I was with my old car. I am happier now that I have no debt ( not that I ever had much). I am happier knowing I can pay off my credit cards every month instead of making payments and paying interest. I am happier that I can rent a plane and fly around for a few hours. I am happier that I can fly to Europe and stay as long as I want. ( dual citizenship USA And France.) Money may not buy happiness, but if you're already happy... it can bring more happiness. Growing up I had plenty of "stuff", so I am pretty much over material things, but as another poster stated, I have some expensive hobbies, love to travel, and love living ( owning a home) by the ocean.
I get what the OP is saying, but I am like 50 years his junior and pretty much just starting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,477,733 times
Maybe not, but it fills in the slow times very well.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:03 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,445,141 times
Another thread in the finance section asked if " you would marry just for money".

I answered a resounding NO.

I would only and did marry for Love.

I answered that we may not have a lot of money, and work hard for it, but with love we can get through anything.

I might be happier with more money, but NO, it cannot buy happiness.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:42 AM

6,972 posts, read 4,831,151 times
Money doesn't equal happiness. Money equals choice, and choice equals happiness.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:53 AM

18,457 posts, read 18,602,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Less money doesn't equal more happiness either. You need a certain amount to cover expenses but then the rest is dependent on how a person wants to live their life. I've known some very happy 1%ers.
People who say money doesnt make happiness have never been poor.. believe me I wasnt smiling all the time..

Old 07-19-2017, 06:04 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,608,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Now I'm not saying we don't need money, we do. And depending too on where on reisdes, is a factor on how much. Just listening to Dr. Wendy Walsh on the radio, she made the comment that there is a money ceiling to make one happier and that is about $75K per year. She was probably talking about So. Cal since that is where we are. That $75K per year in Pittsburgh Pa would go a lot further.

Thinking back over my life and I now bring in so little with a small pension and social security and some savings, but needs are so little and my wants.

When I made over $73K back in the late 70's early 80's I was killing myself working like a fool and treating money like it was a god. Buying STUFF I didn't need and over the last few yrs getting rid of that stuff.
When I hit $40K at a period, I panicked and went out and bought a condo, bad investment. But it was a lesson and I sold it 5 yrs later. I didn't like the location but making that money put me in another tax bracket so felt a NEED to buy something big like a condo. A house is out of sight price wise plus I didn't want a house for a single lady.

After 9 yrs I left that $73K job as I had no more blood to give and took a job for something like $34K as I search back into my memory bank. And I was just fine.

Would I do some things differently, you bet.

Some of the happiest seeming people are those with so much less than me...They are so grateful for what they have and so much more content. If you don't have it, you can't spend it. Just like if you don't keep that ice cream in the freezer, you won't eat it....

I thought Dr. Wendy gave some good advice on happiness and money. Those who makes millions/billions, they all put their pants on the say way as you and I.. And happy, who knows. [snip]

She also made the comment, older people are much more happy than younger. I agree, it took a lot of years of blood, sweat and tears to get here. So we better be content and when young do some SERVICE to others, doing service brings one happiness. Try it. My younger neighbors help me and one says I love to be of service doing what I do for you.
Blah blah blah.

Knowing that you can always make your mortgage payment is ALWAYS better than having to borrow money from elsewhere to do so.

Title should be "Having way more money than you need is not always better than merely having more money than you need"

Oh, and older WELL OFF people are happier than younger, because they can relax. Those putting off their grocery purchases until their social security checks come in, not so much.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-19-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 07-19-2017, 09:20 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,099,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
One of mine ...was being in the company of my granddaughter...listening to her jabber and all the while being in awe of her delight in life! Did cost me time which I do value, yet so well spent to be with her.
You might not have had that moment if you had to work 60 hours per week to cover rent and utilities.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I do wonder if this is more true for single folks than marrieds. I don't have a spouse to depend on.
Or to support. Having dependents can up the income level needed to relieve financial stress.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Money doesn't equal happiness. Money equals choice, and choice equals happiness.
I like to say that money doesn't buy happiness, it buys the things that make you happy.

But more accurately, money buys the *opportunity* for happiness. What you make of it is up to you. It's like retirement. You suddenly have more free time than when working. Spend it lounging in front of the TV and you may end up less happy. Spend it engaging in hobbies and getting closer to your kids and grandkids and you may end up very happy.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:47 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,616,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You might not have had that moment if you had to work 60 hours per week to cover rent and utilities.
There were many times I worried about making it with my money, but somehow it just worked out for me. I'm not out of the woods yet, but NOW I think often before I leap to buy something I most likely don't NEED.

Would I like an extra few thousand in my checking account, yes, but I don't. But I also don't have the desire to be OUT THERE spending and doing and going like I did MOST of my early life.

Just the stress today of the crowds, especially here, forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology