Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:32 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times

Advertisements

Could you please cite the study that shows that "Most Women" prefer less skin showing?
Or don't make ridiculous generalizations.

And you know, when you post a block of text like that with no spacing, Most Women don't read beyond the first line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 04:36 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
I agree short shorts on a man looks just plain silly and a tad feminine to me. Of course I come from an age where a lot of my contemporaries will not wear shorts period, even when it's 100 degrees outside. But then I have strong opinions about appearance that most don't share. The "high" cut short sleeve shirts on men I don't like. "Muscle shirts" strike me as overly vain unless the guy is under the age of 25. I tend to be amused by men wearing tight fitting clothing to show off their time spent at the gym.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:11 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,768 times
Default Dress age (and gender) appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I agree short shorts on a man looks just plain silly and a tad feminine to me. Of course I come from an age where a lot of my contemporaries will not wear shorts period, even when it's 100 degrees outside. But then I have strong opinions about appearance that most don't share. The "high" cut short sleeve shirts on men I don't like. "Muscle shirts" strike me as overly vain unless the guy is under the age of 25. I tend to be amused by men wearing tight fitting clothing to show off their time spent at the gym.
Yup. Men showing skin is a bad look unless the man in question is about to go swimming or playing a game that requires serious freedom of movement. If you are showing skin just to be showing skin, it's pleasing to certain other men more than to women. Maybe that's your intent; I don't know.
Old men (a group in which I count myself) look especially silly when dressed like little kids: cargo shorts, t-shirt and ball cap.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
It is actually a mix of women. Most women I have talked to that are old enough to remember the shorter shorts on men have said they wouldn't want it to come back. There were some both old enough to remember and some that are too young to remember that actually like men to wear shorter shorts and other clothing that men once wore , but they seem to be in the minority. Short shorts was actually a male fashion before it was taken over by women. If I remember right, shorts shorts for men were at first just out of style beginning in around 1992 or so, but several years later, it became considered gay for a man to wear shorts above the knee and other shorter and less baggy styles of clothing. At that point, it became taboo.
There was nothing sexier in the 80s than Tom Selleck legs. We used to judge guys by their legs comparing them to Tom Selleck's back in the day. My husband rocked those short shorts and swim trunks. Now the tan stops just at the knees which is why men's legs look a little funny, today.

Nothing looks sillier than the shorts that go below the knees for men. It looks like you are wearing your big
brother's hand me downs or some giant's clothes instead of your own.

I work as a merchandiser in a department store. Shorts are getting shorter and less baggy for mature men. Young mens' shorts are a little shorter but we still have the messanger length(below the knees with ties on the sides) in 1 brand we carry, but not selling like they used too Even baggies(swim trunks) are shorter than they were. Not sure I want to see short, running shorts at the local restaurants etc. though.
Just wear what you are comfortable with

Shorts with the pockets on the legs though are just more convenient for carrying their cell phones and car keys.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:51 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
The biggest problem, as I see it, is not what you wear but where you wear it. And that goes for all sexes.

The appropriate garment for the appropriate activity.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:11 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
just don't wear tank tops and I'll be happy

Old 07-24-2017, 10:05 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The biggest problem, as I see it, is not what you wear but where you wear it. And that goes for all sexes.

The appropriate garment for the appropriate activity.

And also the appropriate garment for the appropriate body type. If you are athletic, by all means show it off, because it is a good and positive asset. But if you are fat and sloppy, it should be kept hidden or covered with a baggier look. Loose skin and folds of fat are not attractive and are not something that should be intentionally exposed. And we do see that nowadays. And while men do it, and shouldn't do it, I have to say women are more guilty of this. I notice more cases per capita of fatter women wearing really inappropriate tighter clothing that basically flaunts physical faults.

Athletic people who look fit and strong can push the boundaries with tighter clothes and even younger clothes. But if you are out of shape, that is not an option.

Wearing tighter and younger clothes past the age of 25 has to be earned with exercise and diet. It is not an entitlement.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
just don't wear tank tops and I'll be happy

Don't come down here to the tropics then. All the men wear them here, despite their mediocre/aged bodies. The locals don't; the old white guys do!

I kinda miss the shorter shorts, but after all these years of baggy, longer and longer "shorts", now they look comical, as someone else said.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,834 times
MrMetal hates long shorts & so do I (both for myself & for him). To us, the whole point of wearing shorts is not to have a bunch of fabric covering your legs. His favorite shorts were his old OP corduroy shorts, like these.

http://www.rustyzipper.com/full/158541L.jpg

He would still wear them today if he could find them. He wears the shortest shorts he can find, which are still quite long, but at least above the knee, kinda like these or a loose fitting version.

http://i.stpost.com/product~p~7748P_01~460.2.jpg

IDK any women who have a preference for what length shorts a guy wears. The men (& women) I know tend to wear whatever they're comfortable in & not worry about fashion trends. It's one of the benefits of maturity - not caring what others think. The long shorts style of the last several decades I find odd b/c it sort of defeats the point of wearing shorts IMO, but if the guys are comfortable in it, go for it & if they're comfortable in above the knee shorts, go for it.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:32 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
MrMetal hates long shorts & so do I (both for myself & for him). To us, the whole point of wearing shorts is not to have a bunch of fabric covering your legs. His favorite shorts were his old OP corduroy shorts, like these.

http://www.rustyzipper.com/full/158541L.jpg

He would still wear them today if he could find them. He wears the shortest shorts he can find, which are still quite long, but at least above the knee, kinda like these or a loose fitting version.

http://i.stpost.com/product~p~7748P_01~460.2.jpg

IDK any women who have a preference for what length shorts a guy wears. The men (& women) I know tend to wear whatever they're comfortable in & not worry about fashion trends. It's one of the benefits of maturity - not caring what others think. The long shorts style of the last several decades I find odd b/c it sort of defeats the point of wearing shorts IMO, but if the guys are comfortable in it, go for it & if they're comfortable in above the knee shorts, go for it.
Haha, the second picture looks like it's the costume for a Ricola commercial or a community theater presentation of Pinocchio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology