Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 02:47 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times

Advertisements

My nephew's dad's health was in very poor shape. He had heart problems, was weak, in a wheel chair, had lost both his legs (i assume because diabetes but I'm not sure), had been an alcoholic, etc.

A couple months ago my nephew was visiting him, and was in the process of moving him or adjusting his position in his wheelchair when he had a heart attack. But my nephew didn't realize what had happened. He didn't realize his dad had a heart attack and therefore failed to call 9-1-1 in a timely manner. When 9-1-1 eventually was called and the paramedics arrived, it was too late.

After this happened, my nephew (17 years old) seems to have lost a few screws in his head. He feels he directly caused his dad's death. He has been acting out, getting into trouble, sabotaging his relationships and his jobs, has been depressed, has been self-destructive, got arrested for public intoxication.

What should be done? Aside from the usual responses of "he needs therapy", what things can be said or done to him to make him realize that he didn't cause his dad's death and to deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 03:16 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
If it's affecting him that badly I don't think anyone can do or say anything to make him realize it wasn't his fault.

In this case, I think it requires professional help ASAP before he makes a mistake (e.g., a DUI) that will affect the rest of his life. IMO there is no time to waste. Of course, he has to agree to go to a therapist.

What a tragic situation. I hope you find a solution and he finds peace.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:22 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
My nephew's dad's health was in very poor shape. He had heart problems, was weak, in a wheel chair, had lost both his legs (i assume because diabetes but I'm not sure), had been an alcoholic, etc.

A couple months ago my nephew was visiting him, and was in the process of moving him or adjusting his position in his wheelchair when he had a heart attack. But my nephew didn't realize what had happened. He didn't realize his dad had a heart attack and therefore failed to call 9-1-1 in a timely manner. When 9-1-1 eventually was called and the paramedics arrived, it was too late.

After this happened, my nephew (17 years old) seems to have lost a few screws in his head. He feels he directly caused his dad's death. He has been acting out, getting into trouble, sabotaging his relationships and his jobs, has been depressed, has been self-destructive, got arrested for public intoxication.

What should be done? Aside from the usual responses of "he needs therapy", what things can be said or done to him to make him realize that he didn't cause his dad's death and to deal with it?
If he had not been there and not been involved in any way, heres what he would be doing today instead.

He would be acting out, getting into trouble, sabotaging his relationships and his jobs, be depressed,
self-destructive, get arrested for public intoxication.

What can be done? do you want to play God?
Nothing any human can do or say can affect the will of another who has gone over that edge.
Convinced against their will, they are of the same opinion still.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
He has (understandably) been deeply traumatized by the circumstances of his father's death, and not to jump on the therapy bandwagon but this is serious stuff. I would not attempt to counsel him with his feelings and I would certainly not tell him to 'deal with it.' This is more than just the blues, and even though your looking for answers other than 'he needs therapy,' I must say, he needs therapy.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:42 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
If it's affecting him that badly I don't think anyone can do or say anything to make him realize it wasn't his fault.
I disagree. His thinking is flawed, which means there's some way to make him realize it on a gut level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I must say, he needs therapy.
Agreed. Also still looking for a clever way we can tip the scales in the right direction.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:55 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I would encourage him to go to therapy and also look for books that would address the topic. Pema Chodron is great, as is Goleman (Emotional Intelligence). I would also ask him what would have happened if he hadn't been there when his father had the heart attack? His dad would have died anyway. Further, even if his clearly already suffering father had been rescued would it have been a good outcome?

It was not his fault at all, but his lack of healthcare training may have been a blessing for the father. Sounds like the man was living a pretty hellish existence.

All of that said, I suspect the fact that he was raised by an alcoholic has already screwed the kid up to a certain extent.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:15 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
That's a lot for a 17 yr old to carry. I don't have any advice beyond what's been given, but I feel for you and your nephew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology