Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:39 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times

Advertisements

It's patronizing being carded by cashiers young enough to be my kid. I always wondered if cashiers claiming "it's store policy" realize they're also being patronized by their employers who think they're too stupid to tell if a middle-aged man with gray hair and more wrinkles than a crumpled sheet of paper is underage or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 10:52 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,153 times
Ugh...it really only irritated me for the week that I went without an ID. My ID expired on my birthday, and I didn't even realize it until a bank teller told me. I went to the DMV to get another one, but it took about a week for me to receive it in the mail. They gave me a printed version that would work for law enforcement and such, but no stores take that. I seriously never even noticed how often I get carded for cigarettes and wine until that week. I got turned away from two different stores because of it. As much as I'd like to think that I look young, I think I look my age...and that age is definitely old enough to buy both tobacco and alcohol.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:57 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,993,638 times
I've been told that if one looks/is under 30, they should be carded. I'm over 40... when carded, I don't find it inconvenient. No one should. It's hard to tell ages. If you're over 30 & carded, feel grateful. If under, they're still doing their job.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:06 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I've been told that if one looks/is under 30, they should be carded. I'm over 40... when carded, I don't find it inconvenient. No one should. It's hard to tell ages. If you're over 30 & carded, feel grateful. If under, they're still doing their job.
Yeah, it really isn't a big deal. They're just doing their job. It's sometimes tough to tell how old someone is. These people could lose their jobs, face major fines, etc. if they sell to someone over age. I really don't usually mind, but I did get irritated during that week when I didn't have a photo ID. of course, that was my fault and not anyone else's.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:09 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
I'm in my 60s and got carded the other day buying beer. I said thank you.

But they card EVERYONE there.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:21 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,223 times
It's a mindless policy put into place so no-one has to think. I am almost 60 and get carded every time but it's because they have to do it, or get fired. They aren't allowed to make the judgment themselves because of that 1% grey area. lol.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yeah, it really isn't a big deal. They're just doing their job. It's sometimes tough to tell how old someone is. These people could lose their jobs, face major fines, etc. if they sell to someone over age. I really don't usually mind, but I did get irritated during that week when I didn't have a photo ID. of course, that was my fault and not anyone else's.
I'm 47 & am carded every bloody single time I visit a liquor store & on 3 occasions, chased out, saying my ID looked nothing like me. Right... no one's does. The DMV uses the worst lighting & most inopportune times to snap a photo. My driver's license looks like my mum, not me. In any event, not everyone is supposed to know your true age. Who cares how old we think we look? Their job is to serve liquor to those over 30... how are 21-yr old kids supposed to know what exactly 30 looks like?

Inconvenient? Sure if I don't have my license in my pocket. Simple... carry your license to the liquor store. If you already know they normally card you... carry your license when buying wine/beer/whatever.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:44 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,173,857 times
I'm in my late 40's and still get carded for liquor. To be honest, when I was younger it was an annoyance, but now I actually like it when it happens. It'll be depressing when I look so old that I don't get carded anymore - LOL.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:42 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
People that think they're getting carded because they look so young are generally deluding themselves by taking it as any kind of compliment.
Even the places that use the over 30 guideline chose that in hopes it was old enough that even the dumbest clerk wouldn't sell to an underage by mistake.
Unfortunately, even that caused a problem when they tried strictly adhering to the rule and were faced with people within a 10/15 year age range.
"Card everybody" just became an a simpler solution, no judgement necessary.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
People that think they're getting carded because they look so young are generally deluding themselves by taking it as any kind of compliment. "Card everybody" just became an a simpler solution, no judgement necessary.
Oh, now. There are a lot of young looking people on the planet, Old, regardless of age. Not everyone is cynical or delusional & many are mistaken for younger.

I've never been in a store where everybody was carded. Gray haired men, men with beards & people who look old aren't ever carded when I've been around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology