Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 02:16 PM

29 posts, read 19,836 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah. I've had a few who give half-a**'d apologies after unnecessary emotional rants or just pretend like it never happened. I used to have a three-time policy before they get dumped. Now, I leave after the first time, since people who struggle with their emotions tend to not change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,260 times
I think in my case it was narcissism. Or borderline personality disorder.
I dated my friend's cousin. He kept telling me, "Ned has a problem apologizing." I took it to mean that he never accepted responsibility or something, and just blew it off. Besides, he was so cute!(I was in my early 20s at the time and didn't know any better).
One incident, we were in the car and Ned got mad at me for something. He snatches the tape out of the tape player and throws it to the back seat. And was yelling about something. So I call him later and he proceeds to yell at me, saying I snatched the tape and threw it! Huh? After that phone call I was very confused. Couple more incidents like that and we broke up.
So yea, he had a huge problem apologizing because in his reality he didn't do anything wrong. He projected his wrongdoings onto others. It was very odd to say the least. When we broke up, his family took my side because they were familiar with his behavior.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I think in my case it was narcissism. Or borderline personality disorder.
I dated my friend's cousin. He kept telling me, "Ned has a problem apologizing." I took it to mean that he never accepted responsibility or something, and just blew it off. Besides, he was so cute!(I was in my early 20s at the time and didn't know any better).
One incident, we were in the car and Ned got mad at me for something. He snatches the tape out of the tape player and throws it to the back seat. And was yelling about something. So I call him later and he proceeds to yell at me, saying I snatched the tape and threw it! Huh? After that phone call I was very confused. Couple more incidents like that and we broke up.
So yea, he had a huge problem apologizing because in his reality he didn't do anything wrong. He projected his wrongdoings onto others. It was very odd to say the least. When we broke up, his family took my side because they were familiar with his behavior.
That is so interesting! Not only was he unwilling to apologize, he went further and projected his behavior onto you, stating that it was you who committed the behavior like grabbing the tape out of the tape player and throwing it to the back seat!

That qualifies as gaslighting too! (besides projection) trying to distort reality.....

Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Well, yes, it's also a cultural thing. Family members never say it to each other, at least not in my own family and not in my in-laws' family either.

In my family at least, we have done and said some extremely hurtful and cruel things to each other. But after the heat of the moment is over, someone is brave enough to bring up small talk, and we answer that person as if the hurtful and cruel thing never happened. And then we converse as normally with each other again until the next explosion. But before someone is brave enough to break the ice, it's incredibly awkward.

Quite frankly, I don't mind this way at all. Saying sorry is incredibly hard to say that takes a LOT of vulnerability and lowering yourself, which is why we can't bring ourselves to doing it.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Well, yes, it's also a cultural thing. Family members never say it to each other, at least not in my own family and not in my in-laws' family either.

In my family at least, we have done and said some extremely hurtful and cruel things to each other. But after the heat of the moment is over, someone is brave enough to bring up small talk, and we answer that person as if the hurtful and cruel thing never happened. And then we converse as normally with each other again until the next explosion. But before someone is brave enough to break the ice, it's incredibly awkward.

Quite frankly, I don't mind this way at all. Saying sorry is incredibly hard to say that takes a LOT of vulnerability and lowering yourself, which is why we can't bring ourselves to doing it.
Could you explain more about this?...."Quite frankly, I don't mind this way at all. Saying sorry is incredibly hard to say that takes a LOT of vulnerability and lowering yourself, which is why we can't bring ourselves to doing it."

Why do you feel this way? It seems to stem from no one in your family ever saying 'I'm sorry' or apologizing.

What do you mean "lowering yourself"?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:11 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
I have been in a past relationship with someone that had an awful temper and NEVER said he was sorry, even after blowing up over something silly. I always assumed he felt I deserved the verbal temper tantrum.
I have always wondered why he couldn't just say he was sorry .
A few times he used the " I wouldn't lose my temper if you didn't do things that make me lose it"

I think maybe the temper/verbal abuse was his way to control me and justified in his mind.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
It is a narcissist/ego thing.
People who refuse to say "I'm sorry" or admit they've made a mistake will in most cases try to cover it up - or counter with, "Well, you did such-and-such..." I've had this with family members. One incident led to a big screaming match between myself and family some years ago; it got so bad the police came. The officers said that if they had to come one more time, everybody's going to jail! That shut us up! But I did use the words "narcissistic egomaniac" in my yelling.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Yes, but not all that often. But some people do not know how to admit fault. Or they do not want to admit fault. If their parents have never modeled apologizing or admitting fault, they may not understand how to do it, or even that it should be done. In a sense, they have not been taught a basic social skill.

In my opinion, social skills are modeled for children for best results. For instance, I never instructed my kids to say thank you. But because I always said it to them, they automatically learned to do this. This is the same as showing how to apologize. If I made a mistake, I apologized to them. So now they know how, because it was modeled for them. But some people never had this modeled, so they don't have this skill.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:35 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
It's just as bad when someone apologizes but continues doing the things they apologize for.

I would rather they not apologize if they are going to keep doing the same thing again. I knew someone like this and his apologies meant nothing.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Have you experienced a person close to you who refuses to ever say 'I'm sorry' or refuses to apologize? Or rarely does so?

It's an interesting psychological phenomena, but can also be quite harmful to a relationship. Part of the refusal is because the person does not ever want to admit that he or she was wrong.

And also the person feels that he/she would lose power in the relationship by apologizing. And lose the upper hand for those who value almost always having the upper hand position.

There can also be narcissism involved in not apologizing for some people.

(I wasn't sure whether this topic would be best in Non-Romantic Relationships Forum or in this Forum, since refusing to say 'I'm sorry' can happen in both.)
This has always been what I thought. It also makes them feel like they are "less of a person" if they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology