Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 02:36 PM

191 posts, read 265,196 times

Advertisements

Be hyper (6 years old) on a regular basis? He will run around shouting, singing loudly and sometimes throwing toys about or being heavyhanded. Would you as a parent be offended if a caregiver mentioned it to you? The child does not have ADHD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:52 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,499,384 times
A doctor has evaluated the child and determined he does not have ADHD or another disorder? Is he able to control his behavior with limit setting or, is he like this virtually all the time and, limit setting does not work? If that is the case, he needs a neuro-psychological evaluation. Many adults with bipolar disorder displayed similar behaviors in childhood.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 PM

He can turn it on and off. For example, at school he won't be as hyper and is able to sit and learn. In the home environment, it can be a different story. I described his actions in my first post but sometimes you have to really shout at him to get him to come out of it and calm down. He will display repetitive motions such as singing the same song or repeating the same word constantly. He will fling toys around, run about the house and jump up on any adults in the house.
Is that normal or cause for concern?

Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,270,435 times
Honestly, if he's fine at school, then what it tells me is that there is not enough structure or stimulation in the house. I'm a dog person, not a kid person, but what I'm getting is that this kid needs more occupation at home and more exercise. As in, more trips to the park, light chores and responsibilities and more quality interaction with the adults in the house and play dates with friends.

At 6 there is no way of knowing whether he has ADHD or not, but I will say I have severe ADD and I did great in school. Outside of my classwork was where the problems were.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:42 PM

That's the thing, he gets plenty of adult quality time and a LOT of exercise.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:00 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,332,514 times
Sounds like my very energetic son at that age. We set consistent boundaries and enrolled him in lots of sports. He is now a happy, well-adjusted high schooler.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:07 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,332,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
That's the thing, he gets plenty of adult quality time and a LOT of exercise.
Does he get enough physical play time with other children? Roughhousing and outdoor time with other children releases energy and builds confidence.

Does he have a safe area where he can throw, hit, kick, wrestle...?

Does he have clear rules on where/when he can throw, kick, hit, wrestle... and are the rules consistently enforced?

When he breaks these rules what are the repercussions? Are the toys taken away?

Old 08-08-2017, 04:12 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,698,634 times
If he's controlling his behavior at school and there are no behavior concerns there, it sounds like he may be "saving it up" for when he's free to be more energetic. I really like that in a child, actually. There are children who very purposefully force themselves to comply with school rules even though it's hard for them.

Are there other details you haven't mentioned yet - a recent divorce, a recent re-marriage of a parent, a recent new baby?

Are you the girlfriend of the dad and he is competing for Dad's attention when you are present?

Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 PM

No, this is about my nephew. No changes or upheaval in the family or his life.
He goes to lots of sports clubs and holiday camps so has plenty of outlet for his boundless energy.
Maybe it's a case of having to follow too many rules outside of the home so he goes wild at home?
He says he wants to be good (Sister is using a reward chart) but can't be.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:32 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,270,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
No, this is about my nephew. No changes or upheaval in the family or his life.
He goes to lots of sports clubs and holiday camps so has plenty of outlet for his boundless energy.
Maybe it's a case of having to follow too many rules outside of the home so he goes wild at home?
He says he wants to be good (Sister is using a reward chart) but can't be.
What you're describing is annoying, but there's no malice in it. It's just being a kid. They are awkward and intrusive and annoying while they figure out appropriate boundaries and behavior. Parents need to model the behavior and set appropriate boundaries. That's what parenting is about. It's messy and time-consuming and requires endless patience. Your sister sounds like she has problems many parents would kill to have themselves - an active and engaged kid who does well in school and only "acts out" by being noisy and somewhat needy (gasp! at 6!) and annoying at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology