Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Matisse, I really think your life would be happier if you would judge people on their intentions, not your lack of comfort socially.

I knew this guy who was REALLY embarrassed to buy toilet paper, because hey, everyone in the store knew what he planned to do with it.

Your reaction to others saying "bless you" is as memorable.
I agree.

I'd rather be part of a "herd" of kind people saying "bless you!" than a herd of people who assume the world is out to get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 04:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Words have meaning. Words are not said in a vacuum without meaning. Behaviors also have meaning.

If you wish to continue to say intrusive pointless things like 'bless you' when someone sneezes, it defines what you think about yourself and illustrates what you know and recognize about behavior.

As an aside - "the world is out to get them/you" and "high horse" and "villainize" - absurdities, exaggerations, & straw man thinking

Last edited by matisse12; 08-15-2017 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Words have meaning. Words are not said in a vacuum without meaning. Behaviors also have meaning.

If you wish to continue to say intrusive pointless things like 'bless you' when someone sneezes, it defines what you think about yourself and illustrates what you know and recognize about behavior.

As an aside - "the world is out to get them/you" and "high horse" and "villainize" - more absurdities, exaggerations, & straw man thinking
Yep. The most ironic part is that your argument also does everything you're accusing ^^^ me of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FYI "straw man" isn't accurate here.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Uh oh. Now I have to leave.

Personal rule. Once someone says "straw man", gotta go.

Bye. I wish you the best.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Uh oh. Now I have to leave.

Personal rule. Once someone says "straw man", gotta go.

Bye. I wish you the best.
Yeah, "that's a straw man" = hitting your head on a brick wall

Adios!

Old 08-15-2017, 06:20 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
"Bless your (little) heart" can be misinterpreted. In some circles, it's used as a passive-aggressive expression of pity or disdain.
Live in the south for awhile. It is almost ALWAYS said with pity or disdain.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:34 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
ROFL, trying to imagine what an appropriate thing to say to someone blowing their nose. "Thar she blows!!"???
While living in Taipei during the 1950s, I recall seeing people on the street frequently blowing their nose by closing one nostril with the forefinger and blowing the snort forcefully out on the sidewalk. Apparently not considered ill-mannered there.

But the Taiwanese had a point - to them it was unsanitary to dirty up a handkerchief and carry it around in one's pocket all day.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:35 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
There are some interesting interpretations of why people do this on this thread, many of which I never thought of.

This may seem odd, but I've always thought when someone says this that it means they are naturally empathetic and have a strong desire to want someone to be comfortable, but if they ignore the sneeze they're less concerned. This is a strange way to look at it, I know, but for some reason I've always seen it that way.

It's as if they are sending the message that they realize people sneeze sometimes when they have a cold or allergies and they hope everything is going to be okay with the person, and they're blessing them with good thoughts and wishes that this situation improves.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:41 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
"Bless your (little) heart" can be misinterpreted. In some circles, it's used as a passive-aggressive expression of pity or disdain.
lol...I was raised in the south and this is exactly what I was thinking.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The "offended" half need to get over it. It's just an automatic courtesy from well-raised people, nothing more. As Nov3 mentioned, it can also be viewed as amusing in a group setting. Better than spraying the surrounding air with Lysol.

But then again, I'm just an old guy who was raised to be polite - as in opening doors for females (of any age), taking my hat off in an elevator/restaurant/home/office/school, walking on the curb side with my wife, Yes Sir, no Sir, yes Ma'am, no Ma'am......etc.
It has nothing to do with politeness or being well-raised. It's an old superstition. People who aren't superstitious, or who weren't raised by people who were (or by people whose parents were), have no reason to believe that a sneeze requires a response. You don't say anything when people cough, do you? Well, a lot of people feel the same about sneezes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology