Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:28 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,194,948 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because I work in the hotel industry and I see that no one never wants to wait their turn. People walk up without being called then get upset when they are told they need to wait a moment because we may be working on an issue or taking care of another guest. It is to the point that people want you to stop taking care of the person you are currently taking care of to help them. I have people literally come up and to be helped when there is someone right in front of me. They became livid when I tell them they have to wait their turn. Every next person thinks they are more important than the person who came before them.

I don't understand the mentality of people who walk up to a counter without being called. You obviously weren't called up yet for a reason. I get it nobody wants to wait in line but the unfortunate reality is that we all have to when at a place of business.

I guess because I am patient and was raised to have manners and not cut in front of people that I don't understand why people have meltdowns when they have to wait their turn.

Is this just the direction we have gone? Is being impatient the new normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 11:27 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,312,787 times
Is there a sign for arriving guests, indicating that they must wait to be called? Perhaps the visitors who do this are unaware of your establishment's protocols?

Perhaps your message, 'wait your turn,' is what is setting them off? Wouldn't it be more tactful, especially in a service industry like hospitality, to say something like, 'I will be happy to take care of your needs/concerns as soon as I finish with the previous guest.'

Just my two cents, based on the information you've provided.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Is there a sign for arriving guests, indicating that they must wait to be called? Perhaps the visitors who do this are unaware of your establishment's protocols?

Perhaps your message, 'wait your turn,' is what is setting them off? Wouldn't it be more tactful, especially in a service industry like hospitality, to say something like, 'I will be happy to take care of your needs/concerns as soon as I finish with the previous guest.'

Yes I do tell them that in those words. I am often recognized in my company for my customer service so I know how to talk to guests. They still get angry because they have to wait and are often very vocal about the fact that they feel that they should not have to stand in line. They don't care that others came before them. That's my whole point.

It should be obvious that if there is someone in line in front of you that it is not your turn.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,021,726 times
I hate when I am some place and a customer service rep is either on the phone or helping someone else and an "impatient" customer walks up to the counter and just stands there and stares at them....like that is going to make them move any faster. If anything, it is going to **** them off.

A few years ago I witnessed this at a Sprint Store and I said in a loud voice "you staring at him isn't going to make him move any faster". The CSR thanked me when it was eventually my turn.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I hate when I am some place and a customer service rep is either on the phone or helping someone else and an "impatient" customer walks up to the counter and just stands there and stares at them....like that is going to make them move any faster. If anything, it is going to **** them off.

A few years ago I witnessed this at a Sprint Store and I said in a loud voice "you staring at him isn't going to make him move any faster". The CSR thanked me when it was eventually my turn.
Exactly this! I don't understand people who do this.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,005,601 times
It's true that patience is becoming a lost virtue.

Perhaps for some it's that most things are instant anymore - no waiting needed. Therefore that attitude is carried forward.

- People will honk their horn if you don't take off like a top fuel dragster the minute the light turns green.
- People will tail gate you if you drive the speed limit.
- People get impatient if their 'fast food' order isn't ready in less than 15 seconds.
- People get impatient if they have to wait 5 minutes for the microwave to cook their food.
- People will get irritated if you don't return their text within a few minutes.

How about shoppers who will spend an hour roaming around a store just looking at whatever, then when they get to the check-out line are irritated if they have to wait 5 minutes.

People will spend 10 minutes driving around a parking lot to find a spot 20 feet closer to the store, then get irritated if it takes them 1 minute to walk from their car to the store (and perhaps these are the same people who boast about workouts at the gym).

For me, I'm not in a hurry . . and glad of it.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,320,062 times
I've seen people head right to the front, despite that there's a queue of people waiting patiently. I yelled at a guy once who tried this. "Hey...there's a line back here!" Embarrassed him in front of everyone.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:47 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,906,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Receptionist here. Some people get pissy no matter how nicely you put it that they are not going to get what they want exactly when they want it (ASAP), or that they have to wait their turn because the person they want to speak to is not available (on the phone, in a meeting) at that present moment in time.

I've had people get upset when they call up to speak to a certain sales rep and they are told that he's out to lunch (we get a full, uninterrupted hour for lunch here) and will be back at 1:00, she's gone for the day, not working today, on the phone at the moment, etc.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:24 AM

18,051 posts, read 25,111,505 times
I see that mostly on conservatives
They constantly talk about other people being "below them"
and then constantly go around acting as if they are entitled more than everybody else

Don't believe me,
make a conservative stand in a line for a while and then have somebody that looks poor go to the front of the line because "he's VIP" .... somebody like Little Wayne
I guarantee you are going to see an interesting show of anger
Even though most of us have seen that same s.... 1000 times and had to keep our mouth shut

Old 08-16-2017, 10:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,220 posts, read 80,386,269 times
This will only get worse as time goes on, when even young kids are now becoming used to the fast, even instant results using their smartphones. Things like instant messaging, paying and airline check-in by scanning the phone, Amazon deliveries the same day, instant messaging, news and sports alerts. People are just becoming less used to waiting, so when they do have to wait they become impatient a lot more quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology