Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't work anymore, so it's not really an issue with me now. But it does make me wonder - these guys that turn themselves inside out when a pretty woman walks in - what happens when they're on a date and they see a pretty woman. Do they do the same thing and if so, how can they not realize how insulting that is to their date?

Yeah, I know women probably do it too. I just don't think it's as obvious.

Anyway, you all have given me some things to think about. Thank you for responding.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:18 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
what happens when they're on a date and they see a pretty woman. Do they do the same thing and if so, how can they not realize how insulting that is to their date?
I'm usually the one that points out a pretty woman to my husband. I'm not insulted if he looks, because I trust him.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:28 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
I've worked with/for both genders and the women were the worst, as far as ogling and inappropriate remarks. Of course, I don't personally know what sort of language men use when discussing women, but these women would have made a seasoned sailor blush.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Nothing turns me off more and makes me feel cheap than a man who looks me up and down like I'm a piece of merchandise.

Men, if you think this will get you brownie points with a pretty woman, you are WRONG. Holding eye contact for a little longer than normal is a more polite and effective/successful way to get a woman's attention.

People who fall all over themselves to serve a good looking person are idiots IMO. Maybe it would work with a Blonde Bimbo or the Mr Universe-type of guys with huge egos, but it is a turn off for anyone with half a brain.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
I've always worked in places that employed both men and women. What was annoying and also funny and sad, too, was how, when an attractive woman came up to the counter, the men in the back would practically trample other employees in their attempt to be the first to help her.

I'm not asking why they do this. I know why they do this. But why don't the men realize how insulting that is to the other women working there, and how insulting it is to the customer herself?

I've had customers approach and ask me to get another female employee's phone number. Seriously, dude, if you can't ask her yourself, don't ask me.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive. But I can't help feeling that these guys make themselves look like fools when they fall all over themselves to get to a pretty woman and they look incompetent when they ask a woman to help them hook up with another woman. Maybe it's because this has happened in the work place and I feel a work place should be a little more professional. Or maybe I just feel slighted and want to say, "Hey, consider my self respect. How do you think I feel about doing this?"

What's your opinion?
You seriously think that an attractive woman is insulted by getting good service and overall attention from men? A good portion, having been conditioned over their lifetime, no doubt expect it and would be upset if they didn't get it!

Old 08-16-2017, 11:47 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I think each business has its own "culture" and the OP is in one that's stuck in the '70s.

It is "normal" for men to check out women (and women ditto men), but many workplaces require more professional behavior.

It's really unprofessional to rush over to ogle an attractive person, but if there are no repercussions, no chastisement from the boss, no lawsuits filed, no co-worked saying "keep it in your pants, jerk," then the behavior will just get worse and worse.

You could look for another job, or file a complaint, or just live with it.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:55 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm a woman, and I don't feel insulted by a man rushing to help me, nor would I feel insulted by my male coworkers rushing to help a pretty girl. If I saw a cute guy I'd be up there at the counter to wait on him. It goes both ways.
Agree. Woman here as well & Im confused how this is "insulting"? Seriously? This sounds more like a personal/self esteem issue.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I've never worked in settings that had customers, (or clients where hitting on them wouldn't constitute legal and ethical violations), per se, so this doesn't really apply. But such a thing would be ultra unprofessional.

I don't know about "insulting," though. It seems equally unprofessional to take it as a personal slight.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 08-16-2017 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
I've always worked in places that employed both men and women. What was annoying and also funny and sad, too, was how, when an attractive woman came up to the counter, the men in the back would practically trample other employees in their attempt to be the first to help her.

I'm not asking why they do this. I know why they do this. But why don't the men realize how insulting that is to the other women working there, and how insulting it is to the customer herself?

I've had customers approach and ask me to get another female employee's phone number. Seriously, dude, if you can't ask her yourself, don't ask me.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive. But I can't help feeling that these guys make themselves look like fools when they fall all over themselves to get to a pretty woman and they look incompetent when they ask a woman to help them hook up with another woman. Maybe it's because this has happened in the work place and I feel a work place should be a little more professional. Or maybe I just feel slighted and want to say, "Hey, consider my self respect. How do you think I feel about doing this?"

What's your opinion?
IMHO - Your right to feel slighted if some dude wants your cooperation in helping him arrange dates - imagine if it was the other way around - the guy(s) would feel just like you do. That is unless someone is your close friend then such a request is just a favor for a friend.

However I think you are mistaken (or perhaps a bit jealous) if you think paying attention to an attractive woman is in any way an insult - perhaps annoying or embarrassing if done clumsily but certainly not insulting.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:14 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Well, I don't work anymore, so it's not really an issue with me now. But it does make me wonder - these guys that turn themselves inside out when a pretty woman walks in - what happens when they're on a date and they see a pretty woman. Do they do the same thing and if so, how can they not realize how insulting that is to their date?

Yeah, I know women probably do it too. I just don't think it's as obvious.

Anyway, you all have given me some things to think about. Thank you for responding.

Have you heard the saying that men have 2 heads, and they often think with the little one? LOL

Some things come with experience. Ogle a pretty girl when you're on a date with someone else, and see how long that date stays pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology