Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you'll get a cat instead.
Or an aquarium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
I was going to suggest a cat (or two) as well, but then the OP posted stuff about dealing with dogs that made me do this: .

And I say this as someone who adopted my first two kittens, Mabel and Satay, back in 1991 when I was in the midst of a horrible, literally months-long panic attack. (It went away soon after I got them, and I haven't had one since, and it's been literally 26 years. So yes, animals can be great for one's mental health. But they still require lots of time and care.)

Cats ARE easier than dogs, but geez, OP, they still need daily care and attention. I don't think you're ready for ANY animal right now.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Never got a puppy or dog. Taking care of my house plants is enough for me. I like other people's pets as they take them home, just like kids.

For 10 yrs of depression, thyroid support reversed the long clinical depression. That was from 1991 to 2002.

Then a few yrs later a lowness set in and it was Vit D deficiency, got that fixed and no depression and no responsibility with pets. OP said "mild" and it could be Vit D deficiency. When thyroid was out of wack, it was clinical for me.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-22-2017 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 03:24 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I've been suffering with long-term mild depression as far as I can remember. I think there's a term for it... dysthymia? When it's under control, I'm motivated, social and active. These last few years have been tough being far away from family and friends. I spent most of last year unmotivated and laying in bed, cooped up in my room. I just couldn't muster any motivation to get out. I don't feel sad or mopey on a daily basis. I seem fine on the outside but struggle with relationships (platonic and romantic). I've been going to therapy, hired a life coach, went to group, and it helped a little in the beginning, but nonetheless I become unmotivated to go. Most days I don't feel like talking to anybody or telling anybody anything. I've been thinking of getting a small dog. A lot of days I feel like I just want physical affection that doesn't require a lot of energy (talking and socializing). I'm trying hard to get out of this rut but I start to feel bad when I socialize and I end up disappearing. If I get a dog I want to make sure I'll continue to love it and not just love it in the beginning and get unmotivated and feel like giving it up. Has anyone had success with getting a dog for their depression?
Why not foster a dog to find out if one fits your needs. There is nothing worse, to me, than someone getting a dog and then after a year or so giving it up because it is too much trouble.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Why not foster a dog to find out if one fits your needs. There is nothing worse, to me, than someone getting a dog and then after a year or so giving it up because it is too much trouble.
That sounds like a good idea.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:13 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Dogs are walking anti-depressants for some people,, but they key there is walking. They need exercise, socializing, training, it's like raising a baby in many ways. When they are puppies there is sleep deprivation if you are doing potty training correctly, they will frustrate you, they will destroy things no matter how careful you are (I think they are ninjas).

They aren't just there to give a person unconditional love. Even my 8 year old dog I have to enrich HER life. She doesn't just want to lay around waiting for me to want a cuddle. Which for some people is good. Putting focus on the well-being of another.

But it doesn't sound like that is a match for you.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
NO it's a terrible idea.

Don't rely on animals to change your brain, you have to do that yourself.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:27 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
Don't get a puppy. They deserve better than what you are showing yourself to be.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:32 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Actually, the whole point of dogs is that research indicates that they quite possibly changed our brains through the millennia. Our last big evolutionary leap in terms of the size of our brains coincides roughly with the point at which dogs were domesticated.

All of that said, getting a dog for the OP is NOT a good idea, especially not a puppy. For one thing, puppies are *******s. They really and truly are. The only reason we don't kill them is because they are so effing adorable. And they require tons of care.

Frankly, I wouldn't even get a cat - they are more social than most people think. My kitten has been a great boost to my household, but she is incredibly social - she plays with my dog constantly and hates being alone. Even my semi-feral cat was closely bonded to my other cat and then later to my elderly dog.

Instead, I would pay attention in therapy and do some research on your own. I've offered a book suggestion to you before, OP - Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. I also think some Pema Chodron books might be helpful or stuff by the Dalai Lama. You don't have to be a Buddhist to appreciate - it's just a useful mindset for addressing depression, anxiety and pretty much any mental health issue.

Volunteer somewhere - at a shelter if you like animals. Or at a library. Someone recently suggested Toastmasters to me on these boards, and maybe it would be helpful to you as well.

And maybe gratitude would be something to explore more. Write notes to your friends expressing your appreciation of them. Reach out to someone you care about who is going through a hard time.

Last year three of my closest friends were each going through a terrible time. I like to shop and I love stationary. I spent about 50 bucks buying them silly little gifts (magnets shaped like cat butts for one of them) and uplifting/obnoxious cards. A few days after I sent them out, I got a bunch of happy texts and calls from all three. They were in their respective pits, and my little mini-shopping spree had given them all boosts. I was kind of shocked by the reaction, but it made me feel great in return. I made a difference, and that was a huge boost for me as well. But even if they'd been to sad to acknowledge, I did already have some satisfaction knowing that they would know they were valued and thought of by someone else.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:56 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
While a dog, (or even a cat) may not be the best of choices, there are TONS of studies that conclude that pet owners experience less depression, anxiety, stress, and (yes) actually live longer. (Bona fide studies....Look online and do some brief research.)

Perhaps you could look into a rabbit? They are low maintenance, don't require walking, and home-bred rabbits are litter box trained. It would provide you with companionship, and possibly help considerably. --But yes, as I said before, there are tons of studies, documentation about the positive aspects of having a pet if one is depressed.

P.S. Also a reason why there are more therapists than ever before who have "therapy dogs." A therapy dog can work wonders with patients who wouldn't respond otherwise to a human, whereas an affectionate dog will "bring them out of themselves...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology