Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:05 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
The problem with some tools is that they affect other people's lives and other people's rights.

Check the terrorist attacks in Europe. A guy running over people with a truck. Or a guy stabbing people with a knife. Or the odd bomb here and there.

Number of victims ? A few dozen.

Now, imagine if Euope decided it was okay for citizens to have those tools...the number of victims would grow exponentially.

Anyone could buy a tool, stand in a corner and start shooting at random and mass murder as many people they wanted.

Students in a university campus, babies in a nursery, random people on the Street...no limits.

Everybody will be scared cos everybody could use those tools.

You can Dodge a truck or you can Dodge a knife (or at lest you have a small chance), but you can´t Dodge a bullet.

And that must have a psychological impact on a society.
You really need to check your facts on the deadliness of these truck attacks.

86 Were killed in Nice
14 were killed in Barcelona
8 were killed in a June 2017 van attack in London...

But the USA is SOO MUCH more dangerous because someone can mass murder us all with a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 10:16 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
From the article...

And? Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Self defense is a good, natural and healthy instinct. But I wonder...wont be the hypothetical bad guy equally ready to pull the trigger when he assaults her? Its an scalating game.

And scalating games end up bad for everybody.

Last edited by Javier77; 08-27-2017 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 10:20 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Anyone that is serious about getting a firearm illegally is going to get one. There are 330 million in the USA. It's already been shown that someone in Europe can get guns quite easily on the black market.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You really need to check your facts on the deadliness of these truck attacks.

86 Were killed in Nice
14 were killed in Barcelona
8 were killed in a June 2017 van attack in London...

But the USA is SOO MUCH more dangerous because someone can mass murder us all with a gun.

86 plus 14 plus 8 equals 108.

That's less that the number of murders per year of a city like Chicago.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Not really. I really wanted to know the perpective of particular gun owners in terms of traveling. And I had an open mind when I opened the thread.

I've nevr owned a gun in my life, and I could not own a gun even if I wanted, so I am curious about the mindset of gun owners.

Things got broader and more socio-political when a poster addressed me in particular, so I just stated my personal opinión on the subject.

In my humble opinion its like Kurt Covain (Rest in peace) in tour.

He was addicted to heroine and he knew he could not score while on tour. Not that easy to buy heroine in Japan, or Chile, or whatever.

The ending result is that he cancelled several world tours and stayed in a heroine indiced high at home, until he commited suicide.
Ok fair enough.
I get defensive when people associate gun ownership ONLY with the topic of self-defense. That's a part of it but also important to know about the other aspects of gun ownership.

There are a small, a very small, percentage of gun owners that abuse the gun rights they have in the US, but I see absolutely no comparison with a substance abuse addiction. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible as can be seem from the responses you are getting. Sadly, it's hard to discuss this topic in an objective manner without getting political and this thread will probably degrade and get sidetracked. But such it the topic.

I travel to other countries for business, just returned from a 2 week trip to China. I can safely say I never even though of my firearms, being more concerned with my job tasks, catching taxis and dealing with madarin, dinner appoitments, and more mundane issues. When I thought of home it was thoughts of my family, my pet, and the comfort of home. It just never crossed my mind to think of my firearms no more than I though of my guitar collection.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:27 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Imagine you go to a trip abroad, or any particular circunstance that makes you impossible to have a gun.

Would you feel different, in terms of anxiety, stress levels, etc? Imagine, for whatever reason, this circunstance was prolongued in time...how would you handle it?
Revert to other systems such as a readiness to beat the Thanksgiving stuffing out of someone with hand to hand or what other weapons may be available.

The thing is that I have been in plenty of places, plenty of situations where I didn't, wouldn't have a gun and have been trained, trained myself, to be as deadly at point blank range as if I did have a gun.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:35 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,472 times
Quote:
Self defense is a good, natural and healthy instinct. But I wonder...wont be the hypothetical bad guy equally ready to pull the trigger when he assaults her? Its an scalating game.
Maybe - maybe not.

What do you expect though, someone to not even bother since the bad guy might have a gun too? If anything that just concretes the need for one.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Maybe - maybe not.

What do you expect though, someone to not even bother since the bad guy might have a gun too? If anything that just concretes the need for one.

Bad guys will always and everywhere be bad guys. It's human nature.

In Europe, most bad guys dont have guns. Okay, a few of them do have them, but they are not common criminals, they are mafia types, involved in bank robberies or high profile crime.

If a bad guy in Europe, armed or unarmed, does what bad guys do, he'll know that with a 99.9 per cent probability his victim will have no gun. Therefore the violence of the interaction will be lower. (statistically speaking, of course). Do your bad guy business quick and leave. Nobody dies.

In the US, most bad guys have guns. When he commits a crime, he'll know his victim is very likely to have a gun, and very likely to use it against him. What sort of effect do you think this piece of data will have in the mind of the bad guy and the level of viciousness in his attack?

Old 08-27-2017, 10:50 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Except for a few trips into Canada to see a show, I have never traveled anyplace in the past thirty years that I could not take my gun. And now that I am retired, I have no desire to travel outside of the lower 48, so I will continue to take my gun with me (LEGALLY).

Old 08-27-2017, 11:08 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Imagine you go to a trip abroad, or any particular circunstance that makes you impossible to have a gun.

Would you feel different, in terms of anxiety, stress levels, etc? Imagine, for whatever reason, this circunstance was prolongued in time...how would you handle it?
Scared , as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology