Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 04:30 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
you ought to see some of the bathrooms in the shipyards, I swear they wipe their butt on the walls
They might have.... if there was no toilet paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:29 AM

36 posts, read 22,230 times
Some people and families are messy and it does not matter what their income bracket it. I do not know if it is genetics and some people do not care about clutter, dust, and cleanliness. I had a roommate when I was younger and she always looked so clean and well put together when she went out, but she was a pig at home. It was gross. I moved in and had to do a Hazmat clean up. Piles of smelly wet unwashed clothes. Blackened food everywhere in fridge. Grime on many counters.

I believe that people treat public bathrooms exactly how they treat their own homes. Depending on the establishment, I used elbows and feet if it is wet and disgusting.

If you start off with a clean bathroom and everyone were to use the toilet properly, discard tissue properly, flush, wash hands, dry hands, and wipe up any excess water then the bathroom would remain relatively clean at the end of the day.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:53 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
For newly built restrooms, when there is room for at least four stalls or more, I think it would be a good idea to have at least one stall that includes a flushable squat toilet, for those who prefer that option, for both male and female.
Public restrooms in South Korean highway rest stops are set up like this. I found it rather fascinating, because I had never seen a squat toilet before. I was too chicken to try and use it. I was told that they are there because many Chinese tourists prefer to use that kind.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Some people are filthy! They just are. To believe someone this filthy is clean at home, I just don't think that is the reality.

When I subbed as an assistant in the school system, the wealthier side of town (boy did I dislike working there), there was a 2nd grade boy that had to be watched when he went to the bathroom because he would take his poop and cram it in the paper towel dispenser. He would try sneaking in to do it, so was successful enough for it to be an issue. I was told that calling his parents was not an option as the parents would defend him no matter what and the principal was afraid of them.

I just talked with someone this week that cleans the bathrooms at an RV park. She had a group of 3, one or all were pooping in front of the toilet and also in the shower. She finally caught one and they were kicked out of the RV park. They denied it, but she happened to be there when they were the only one using the facility.

Yes, I've heard about the men's room, but the women's has the potential to top that!

There is a trend for people being filthy. Not sure why. Now, Wal-Mart has an aisle dedicated to sprays for your clothing, house and, of course, health and beauty has sprays, so people can avoid washing themselves and their homes, just cover the stink.

We have an adult son with Down syndrome, and I plan trips to make sure he doesn't have to go into a public restroom when I have him out alone, only God knows what he might encounter. Although he is lower functioning, he knows how to use a toilet. We carry a porti-potti, simple bucket kind with a bag inside filled with cedar pet litter, just in case in our vehicles, a must have these days!

Old 09-15-2017, 02:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
I walked into a public restroom the other day just as a teenage girl was coming out of the only stall. As I started to walk into the stall, I realized the girl had not flushed the toilet, it was nasty. I said something to the girl, but she just rolled her eyes and walked out. How nasty of a person do you need to be to not care to flush the toilet when you know someone else is in the bathroom waiting to use the stall?

Old 09-15-2017, 05:53 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have found vomit, in the sink, stubble from someone shaving, (foamy toothpaste someone spit out and did not rinse away, and once poop in the toilet no flushed (but we have auto flush so maybe it did not work and they could not figure out where the button is). Overall though the office bathrooms are pretty tidy, given the number of people that use them.
That's another thing. There are people at work who brush their teeth in the bathroom. They don't rinse the sink when they finish, leaving food particles all over. Nobody wants to see that.

Another poster mentioned it's only uneducated people who do this? No. The two places I mentioned in my posts were in professional office buildings, both Fortune 500 companies. One was in the IT department, the other was Accounting.

Just nasty. Doesn't matter if you're a cashier at mcd's or CEO.

Last edited by jaynaydee; 09-15-2017 at 06:01 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 07:10 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
The overnight cleaning crew at work -- Fed Govt. office -- left feces on the floor ..... in front of the men's restroom door!!

Old 09-16-2017, 02:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
I went to the bathroom at Walmart the other day, and there was pee-soaked toilet paper all over the seat and turds on top of it and on the floor. It was disgusting.

Do these people have some kind of mental illness and crap all over the place at home too?

Let me guess...it's a woman's restroom?Remember women also are the ones having to deal with bringing in their children as well so I feel that it's mostly children doing that.
I feel it's mainly kids.That is very gross so it pays if you can to just use your own personal bathroom at home.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:49 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
At times, I've live in varied buildings over the years that are typically called "rooming houses" (dormitory-style single-room-occupancy type of living with shared bathrooms on each floor . . . and the residents are, by-and-large, on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale). You come to realize that there are any number of persons living amongst us and all around us in the world (grown adults already, whether in their 20s or 30s or 40s or 50s or 60s or 70s or higher) who are what we can deem to be relatively "low-functioning" people. That is, things that you and I just assume to be proper and acceptable behavior patterns, practices, and ways-of-thinking that we think that one should know just by virtue of being alive (i.e., these are things that shouldn't even have to be distinctly taught to you but rather you should just know it as what can be called "common-sense morality"), these people apparently lack these ways-of-thinking often enough and as a way-of-life. They are like "adult children": that is, chronologically, they are adults; but maturationally (psychologically and behaviorally), it's almost like they have the mind of an undeveloped or semi-developed child. You might say that they suffer from what might be called some form of "arrested development". I mean does ANYONE have to be distinctly and specifcally taught to be thoughtful and considerate????? You would think that it would occur to any normal person to "Always aim to treat others the way you want to be treated" and, implicit in that dictum can be derived a complementary dictum which says "And hence, don't treat others in ways that you yourself would not want to be treated."

And yet, any number of our fellow humans do not, as a way-of-life, think like this. Rather, they are quite narcissitic in that they appear to subscribe to the life outlook that it is everyone else's duty to pick up after them and clean up after them and cover for them and support and sustain them. It is like they are rather like young children who need all the adults or otherwise-mature persons amongst them of whatever age group to take care of them and always pick up after them. No one ever distinctly taught me to be thoughtful and considerate (and I'm in my 60s now, per this typing); it is just a way-of-thinking that I came to grow into as an older child, a teen, and then further as a young adult (and now I am a senior adult). Why can't they be the same as us (not referring here to those amongst them that are profoundly or markedly mentally deficient or learning-disabled (what used to be referred to as being "mentally retarded" in earlier times before that was deemed an offensive designation in this later age by society-at-large)?????
I also notice these traits in a lot of homeless people as well. Very basic things that you were taught as 5 year old these people don't know or don't care to do...like it's some huge effort for them (like throwing their stuff in the trash can that's 10 feet away).

Old 09-17-2017, 05:43 PM

9 posts, read 5,408 times
I've been in public restrooms that I've refused to use. In fact, one was a one room bathroom in a small restaurant. It was obviously due to a lack of proper cleaning than one incident. I was so disgusted that I never ate there again. If the bathroom was that nasty, what about cooking areas that I couldn't see?

In multi-stall bathrooms, most messes I have seen have been mostly due to a poor cleaning schedule or bad cleaning staff. I have only run into one or two instances where it was obviously done by one culprit. In those cases, it makes you wonder what is wrong with some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology