Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 AM

1,089 posts, read 579,288 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever have a hard time dealing with the end of a really positive experience, even when you knew the end was coming? Fortunately, I deal with this sort of thing a lot better than I used to, but it still weighs on my mind.

I just completed a two-month theater class that I really enjoyed, as did everyone else. I think, given the chance, virtually everyone involved would do it again in a heartbeat but the instructor clearly stated she doesn't have time. There may be a one-shot class offered next month, but it may not be convenient for me and wouldn't be quite the same.

For me, experiences like this are somewhat rare. I'm always on the lookout for new things to try, but it's rare when I find something that's both fun and challenging where I make a great connection with people. So now that it's over, there's no telling when the next big thing might be and that's hard sometimes to accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:58 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
You know...maybe it would be enjoyable to journal your thoughts and remembrances of things you really enjoy, and then at some point in the future, you can go back and 'relive' the class.

Also, can you meet up with some of the folks that were in the class, and go out for happy hour or coffee or something?

Old 09-05-2017, 09:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
In my experience of 71 years, life is full of disappointments; some small and some very large. What's important is how you confront and deal with them. You either collapse or you drive-on and get on with your life. Recently my marriage of a bit over 20 years came to an end with the death of my wife. It's rough and depressing but my life is far from over so there's hope for the future. Would that it were as comparatively minimal as the end of a two month class. In the overall scheme of things that's a mere hiccup. You have much to look forward to. Get on with it!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:03 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I take it you're kind of young. When a positive experience ends there will usually be something that comes along to top it. When my trip with my two best friends to Ireland came to an end, I was a little sad, but we're already talking about our next adventure. Keep moving forward. Change is the nature of life.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Cherish and grab those good experiences and don't dwell on the less good ones. I've been living a long time and can think of so many wonderful experiences but so much passes and that's life.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:46 AM

378 posts, read 230,116 times
This Death Cab for Cutie song sums up how I see these experiences.

[url]https://youtu.be/H-yycFgfY-U[/url]

Everything ends, but let's meet half way and enjoy

Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
If it's too good to be true, that typically means it was created for you. You manifested that experience through your thoughts or somewhere deep inside that needed a "fun" experience. So the universe, in effect, gave you what you may have unknowingly asked for. You can continually create those experiences and even better ones by making your intention clear that you would like more of these. You can vocally declare that you have those fun experiences all the time or write that goal on paper or make a dream board or a Pinterest or just anywhere where the desire is clearly stated. And it will happen again.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:34 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
There are just times in your life when everything is just perfect and you don't want it to end. If it doesn't end, then nothing else can come along and take it's place that may even be better

Old 09-11-2017, 09:11 AM

1,089 posts, read 579,288 times
I appreciate all the insight. The fact is, I had indeed been hoping for something enjoyable to come into my life, but it was a very long time before I managed to find this. So while it's absolutely possible the next big thing is out there, it could be a while before I find it.

Generally, I move on from life's changes pretty easily. However, in this particular case there was a lot of potential for it to continue and I know I wasn't the only one who felt that way. The instructor ran the class as though we would all be working together for a long time and gave us a lot of helpful ideas to use going forward -- and then it ended and now we won't have the chance to truly apply what we learned.

But I suppose you never know what's around the corner. I just need to keep my eyes open.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
I've been having these thoughts from time to time in regards to some of the activities I do. While some would suggest better things coming along to top them, I just don't see that to be the case. Sometimes you hit the pinnacle of life and then it's all mundane and humdrum from there.
But after experimenting with limiting the activities I like to travel out to when I'm able to do them, I've found that simply occupying yourself with long work hours, or hard work outs will make you too tired to really be saddened by the loss of those particular things anymore.
I mean now, taking a long, interrupted nap after a gym session, followed by a 14-16 hour shift, is enough satisfaction to calm my nerves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology