Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I think the solution to the problem of N. Korea is going to have to come from the PEOPLE of N. Korea. Was there anything that the USA could have done to convince the Cuban people to rise up against Castro? I would like to know your thoughts on that.

Where are Kennedy and Kruschev when we really need them?
Off topic to the fear issue - but the "people" have no power in either Cuba or N. Korea, both somewhat similar by the way because they are (were in the case of Cuba) ruled by "cult of personality" type leaders under a totalitarian regime, with Cuba only slightly less oppressive. The idea about sanctions was always to encourage the people to revolt, which like I said don't work in these two countries. However, in both these countries you still have an elite power base, an oligarchy, that live comfortably while there people starve. Once you get enough of Kim's immediate underlings that find there material wealth and comforts diminished, then you may get impact. Same happened in monarchies in the middle ages - the people don't matter, but you still have to keep the elite lords, dukes, and duchesses happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times
There should be a civilization first....

Old 09-08-2017, 07:51 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Off topic to the fear issue - but the "people" have no power in either Cuba or N. Korea, both somewhat similar by the way because they are (were in the case of Cuba) ruled by "cult of personality" type leaders under a totalitarian regime, with Cuba only slightly less oppressive. The idea about sanctions was always to encourage the people to revolt, which like I said don't work in these two countries. However, in both these countries you still have an elite power base, an oligarchy, that live comfortably while there people starve. Once you get enough of Kim's immediate underlings that find there material wealth and comforts diminished, then you may get impact. Same happened in monarchies in the middle ages - the people don't matter, but you still have to keep the elite lords, dukes, and duchesses happy.
The people do matter. The problem is that they can be easily manipulated. Machiavelli understood this Sol Alinsky did and Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-09-2017 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Post your personal politics in the Politics forum, not here.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:00 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Civilization ended a long time ago. Focus on living now instead of worrying about the future.

When did civilization end, in your opinion?

Old 09-10-2017, 10:42 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Note to PJSinger. The part of my post you cut was not a "political statement" but an observation. ***** understands the principles that were outlined by both Machiavelli and Alinsky and he uses them against his detractors.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:40 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I am really concerned about North Korea and the other signs in these months that indicate a global war with large-scale destruction and what not. I feel like my parents and situation around me are giving me no choice but to keep my anxiety bottled in. I'm just very scared of dying on Earth young without getting to live a full life. After that, no matter what you believe about hereafter, our existence will be too radically different from today.
Turn to God. Read the Bible, etc. Meditate. Get your life in order--you know--the stuff you know you ought to do but have put on the back burner...that stuff.

It's a good idea to just observe your thoughts. Don't assume every thought you have is true.

If you hate God (which I admit horrifies me) then read 10% Happier by Dan Harris. It's about learning to meditate. No religious dogma.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-10-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 12:41 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I have no prepping qualifications at all. I kinda wish I knew some thing about it though.
So go learn about it, then. The information is out there. Take some action instead of just ruminating about it in your head.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-10-2017 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 12:54 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
I am with you. But I keep telling myself this.

- 1991... Hurricane Bob is coming up the coast. We get news that there has been a coup in the soviet union. It looks like maybe Gorbachav is dead and so is Borris Yeltsin. Bob knocks out the power. Two days of being sure this is it, this is the end. Power comes on... Coup has failed and everyone is fine.

- 2001 - 911. We got hit, I could not believe -- could NOT that the world wasn't over. In fact I still have news papers from the next month with headlines that say "nuke could go off tonight" - then after a year or so.. I thought for sure we would have a major terrorist attack in the next 10 years. But we didn't. No nuke, no chemical, no dirty bomb. Nope.

I could go on with the many many many many "tense" moments in the world that worked out fine. We can talk about the cuban missile crisis - Apollo 13, to the mundane like them finding the DC Sniper; and Elizabeth Smart not being killed by her captor. The reality is that bad things rarely happen and, for some reason, seem to happen when no one is focused on them. I have long had a theory that we, as humans, can influence the world we are in just slightly. So if we become aware of something we can pull it just slightly sideways. It is possible that is what prayer is. When the world says in unison "please let everything be ok" it is.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:12 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
I am more worried about a far-right takeover of the US from within, imposing a theocracy similar to A Handmaid's Tale than I am a nuclear holocaust at the hands of North Korea. Kim Jong Un is mostly all bark and no bite.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:08 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
How can I deal with the end of civilization?

Have plenty of food and water and/or the ability to find it.

Have guns and plenty of ammo because people will try to kill you to get your food and water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology