Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,749,975 times

Advertisements

You really need to consistently go to Meetups for it to be effective. I did regularly for a while and it really helped improve my social life. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to do it. The thing is though, they are hit or miss. Sometimes you will have a great time and others you won't quite click. That is normal. Keep going though and eventually you'll have a solid social group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 02:52 PM

836 posts, read 1,112,308 times
Might be best to attend a meetup that is an actual activity not one where everybody is standing around and you have to make conversation.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:03 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,792,717 times
From my experience with Meetup in a very large city, if 100 rsvp then maybe 25 show up. And 90% of the people that show up will be like you. A little (or a lot) introverted, nervous etc but wanting to make an effort to put themselves out there an meet some new people. Just force yourself to go to the next one. Personally I find that ones without alcohol are less intimidating. Anything at a pub or with drinking feels like a meat market mixer because clearly people are there to drink and try to hook up with people which is all good but you go to one that is involves an actual hobby or activity like hiking for example and there is less pressure involved and people tend to be more relaxed and let the guard down

Old 09-14-2017, 06:20 PM

4,385 posts, read 2,885,644 times
Meet ups are lame with lame people. Better off to join some type of group or activity where the main purpose isn't to make friends. At least then you will meet other people who already have friends/groups of their own that you can naturally become a part of. Instead you will have a bunch of friendless people desperately and unnaturally trying to be friends.

I thought about going once, then looked at the photos of the people at the events and said no way.

Last edited by Berteau; 09-14-2017 at 06:52 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 1,720 times
I felt the same. So I don't go anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology