Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 PM

10,597 posts, read 12,040,198 times

Advertisements

-- Do you have a diary or journal and have you found it helpful, personally (emotionally or physiologically)??

I've toyed with having a diary over the years, during stressful periods. But I'm usually only good at daily entries for about a week...then I get busy, or my need to use it to clear my head passes, or I'm just to tired by the time I get to bed....and I get out of the habit.

-- Also, is there any one else (like me) who'd LIKE to write a diary, or personal journal....if for no other reason than to put your own thoughts into words and help you figure out your emotions and thoughts....BUT....who doesn't do it because it could be hurtful to others.....

Of course, the diary wouldn't be written with the intent to hurt others, but, sometimes we just have thoughts that even friends and family don't need to know about. Some truly personal thoughts perhaps they wouldn't understand.

I find myself asking is there anywhere to put down one's thoughts and yet make sure they'll be truly private.

I suppose I could put type them on the computer, and then remove them to a thumb drive...

I'm not tech savvy at all....IS there a way to encrypt (and I'm not even sure that's the correct word) or put a pass code on certain files or a diary on your own computer. If I write it in word for example, how could I make sure no one can open that but me?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 10:54 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,632,006 times
I typed a diary into one program that had the option of password protection, and the computer it is on is also password protected.

Are they foolproof? I doubt it, but good enough to keep casual snoopery at bay.

I do like the old-fashioned privacy protection, though. Just use scribbly script that only you can decipher!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:59 PM

15,243 posts, read 12,862,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
-- Do you have a diary or journal and have you found it helpful, personally (emotionally or physiologically)??
Yes and yes.

Part personal observation, part planning, but mostly pieces I've written for City-Data that were never posted because they revealed too much about me or someone else. I told my therapist I was journaling this way and she found it fascinating.

Of course, she's getting paid to find it fascinating.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:11 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,188,393 times
Yes, it is surprisingly helpful to write a diary of stressful events. For decades I couldn't write it even though I had tried, it was just too stressful. But Several years ago I joined an online Alanon group where I blogged my life as a child. Things I felt I had dealt with were explored in depth and finally put to rest. It was extremely helpful to be in a like-minded community. If and when a family member reads it I don't even care anymore. Now I even feel like collecting it all into a self printed book, complete with pictures!

Old 09-10-2017, 12:36 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,040,198 times
I really just want to keep it simple and type a diary (of sorts) into a Word document on my laptop.

Obviously I can call the file anything I want and only I would know what it is. And I have hundreds of saved documents on there so you'd have to read them all, or get awfully lucky to find THAT. particular. one.

But, I have left my passwords handy for family in case of a health emergency (stroke, heart attack, etc), so they can pay bills, stop automatic payments etc.

So with those passwords they could eventually find it. IF they looked mighty hard. IF I were ill or had died I think they'd just stick with bills and banking and not be looking for every darn thing on the computer. They'd have bigger issues at hand so to speak.....

So do you agree that a diary saved as a Word Doc called, oh I don't know 'shoes' -- would (likely) never been found?

How would you protect or save a doc on your computer you didn't want found?
Like I said. I'm NOT tech savvy so I really do want to keep it simple, and sort of hide it in plain sight...with one step, not 10 folders in folders in folders.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:04 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,306,579 times
This will work for what you need. Set up a separate email account where only you have the password. If something happens no one will know it even exists.

Type whatever you want there and email it back to yourself at that email. Or you can just do drafts. If you need to keep track of certain chapters you can make files.

You can also send emails to the new email from your regular email account. Just make sure you delete them from your deleted items file too.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,373,476 times
No one writes these by hand any more?

Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 AM

13,268 posts, read 8,371,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
No one writes these by hand any more?
Mine is.
Its more done for my heritage...legacy.

Ohh how often I still dig out my mothers letter she wrote to me during my early years as a parent struggling to find my way. Her written words mean the world to me.

Fast forward to my current diary...brutally "emotionally" honest and filled with some dern funny moments that I took time to write. Yes some truths are hurt filled ...and yes when the time comes I am sure my family will go....Ohhhh ...who knew she kept that to herself....

Overall though...its a prosterity keepsake.....

I savor the one liners or the deep and sometimes pain filled moments that only a pen and paper could soothe.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:21 AM

723 posts, read 566,506 times
Default Invisible Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
--

I find myself asking is there anywhere to put down one's thoughts and yet make sure they'll be truly private.

I suppose I could put type them on the computer, and then remove them to a thumb drive...

I'm not tech savvy at all....IS there a way to encrypt (and I'm not even sure that's the correct word) or put a pass code on certain files or a diary on your own computer. If I write it in word for example, how could I make sure no one can open that but me?

Thanks.
Why not keep your diary on your computer in a Word document, but change the font color from black to white (keep the white background) after each daily entry?

That way, if anyone would open the file, all they will see is what appears to be a blank white page.

If you ever want to read what you have written, highlight everything and change the font color temporarily back to black.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:30 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,373,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Mine is.
Its more done for my heritage...legacy.

Ohh how often I still dig out my mothers letter she wrote to me during my early years as a parent struggling to find my way. Her written words mean the world to me.

Fast forward to my current diary...brutally "emotionally" honest and filled with some dern funny moments that I took time to write. Yes some truths are hurt filled ...and yes when the time comes I am sure my family will go....Ohhhh ...who knew she kept that to herself....

Overall though...its a prosterity keepsake.....

I savor the one liners or the deep and sometimes pain filled moments that only a pen and paper could soothe.
Yes...there's something soothing about pen and paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology