Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:11 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Ruth...I could have done it and be mainstream. Or I could have pulled an out-of-the-box creative move and be original.

The second option seemed more appealing, cosidering I had no pencil and notebook, and the paparazzies were one second from spotting her and come all over and mess my chances of some one on one interaction with her.

Trust me, she liked it.
OK. So if you know she liked it, why are you asking us what her response meant? It seems you know what it meant.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:19 PM

823 posts, read 1,974,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK. So if you know she liked it, why are you asking us what her response meant? It seems you know what it meant.

This anecdote has totally overtaken the point of the thread.

I wanted to discuss the different meanings of the "I love you" statement in different cultures.

Americans say it a lot, Europeans say it in very specific situations.

I wanted a general discussion...but I guess the París Hilton anecdote has hijacked the attention....

It's the "Paris effect..". Subtle but intoxicating. Just like her scent...

Old 09-12-2017, 06:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
But I felt very WTF.

Saying I love you to a total stranger like that sounded superficial as hell.
And I'm sure she was thinking the same thing as you yelled "Paris number one!". Was that not completely fake of you to say, or do you actually think she is number one?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
This anecdote has totally overtaken the point of the thread.

I wanted to discuss the different meanings of the "I love you" statement in different cultures.

Americans say it a lot, Europeans say it in very specific situations.

I wanted a general discussion...but I guess the París Hilton anecdote has hijacked the attention....

It's the "Paris effect..". Subtle but intoxicating. Just like her scent...
OK, but I don't know any Americans who say it a lot. Usually it's said to one's partner, one's kids and one's parents. That's all.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And I'm sure she was thinking the same thing as you yelled "Paris number one!". Was that not completely fake of you to say, or do you actually think she is number one?

That's a tough question. I think she is the number one in terms of laid back entertainment. Definitely better than the Kardashians.

A part of me was fooling around, another part was being sincere...

Paris Hilton would definitely be in my group of friends, if she wanted to . (not likely she was interested though, even if she said she loved me)

Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! Now that's a good story!
It's not quite as believable as, let's say, 'The Princess Bride', but it's at least on par with 'Hansel & Gretel'.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:47 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Well in Britain, when one says 'sorry' one usually means anything but 'sorry'. Often it's meant to mean 'get out of my way' or 'move your sh..'. In the US, it almost always means 'sorry' as in 'I apologize' (unless said with sarcasm). Much more superficial in the UK.

What I'm trying to say is that there are idioms everywhere. In the US people know when 'I love you' means 'I love you' and when it means something less. Don't read so much into how words are used idiomatically.
Sorry usually means Sorry in the UK, if you want someone out of your way you generally say 'Excuse Me' rather than 'Sorry'.

The UK does not generally have a 'Have a Nice Day' kind if cuture, it's very much just being polite such as the London Underground which has been traditionally stand left, walk right when going up esculators or orderly queues or other such social etiquette.

How to behave on the Tube: unbreakable rules of the London Underground - Telegraph

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-13-2017 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
It's not quite as believable as, let's say, 'The Princess Bride', but it's at least on par with 'Hansel & Gretel'.

Mediocristan must be an awful place to live...

Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Sorry usually means Sorry in the UK, if you want someone out of your way you generally say 'Excuse Me' rather than 'Sorry'.

The UK does not generally have a 'Have a Nice Day' kind if cuture, it's very much just being polite such as the London Underground which has been traditionally stand left, walk right when going up esculators or orderly queues or other such social etiquette.

How to behave on the Tube: unbreakable rules of the London Underground - Telegraph

I found 99 per cent of locals extremely polite and nice when I was in London.

"Hey mate", "Hi there chief". Stuff like that.

It's a pity they are leaving the EU. No more summer jobs in the UK for a while.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Personally, this American is having a very difficult time imagining herself doing ANY of what you just described, OP. Sorry.

Except for walking on the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology