Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That still happens. You must not know any children.

I think you may be exaggerating.

The only think that has changed is 24/7 partisan media that thrives on making people mad at each other. Why don't you turn off Fox News and go talk to your neighbors.
Ok...that was hyperbole...no need to be snotty. I'm basically saying people tend to resort more towards violence to end disagreements...maybe because of media representation of dramatized conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Ok...that was hyperbole...no need to be snotty. I'm basically saying people tend to resort more towards violence to end disagreements...maybe because of media representation of dramatized conflict.
Can you link to the data you are quoting?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Can you link to the data you are quoting?
Yeah....I can see where this is going...smh
Where does it state I quoted anything/anyone. It's called an "opinion"....like 90% of all the responses on CD.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah....I can see where this is going...smh
Where does it state I quoted anything/anyone. It's called an "opinion"....like 90% of all the responses on CD.
My opinions are usually based on facts. You stated what sounded like a fact--that people are resorting more often to violence to settle disagreements than they have in the past. That's a pretty bold statement and I assumed you had data to back it up.

Is this just a "feeling" you have based on what you observe in popular media? Why not just say that then, and note that the facts may not agree. Or better yet, find the data to support your assertion.

I'm not just giving you a hard time. This is a problem. Too many people are making decisions and judgements and even laws these days based on a "feeling" rather than scientific rigor. Not good for society. Not good at all.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:39 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,588,321 times
Quote:
My opinions are usually based on facts. You stated what sounded like a fact--that people are resorting more often to violence to settle disagreements than they have in the past. That's a pretty bold statement and I assumed you had data to back it up.

Is this just a "feeling" you have based on what you observe in popular media? Why not just say that then, and note that the facts may not agree. Or better yet, find the data to support your assertion.

I'm not just giving you a hard time. This is a problem. Too many people are making decisions and judgements and even laws these days based on a "feeling" rather than scientific rigor. Not good for society. Not good at all.
Do you have a source that people deciding things on opinion is bad for them....or is that your opinion.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Do you have a source that people deciding things on opinion is bad for them....or is that your opinion.
You never studied statistics, did you.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
You never studied statistics, did you.
You really can't base human emotions, empathy, opinions, and love/hate strictly on "statistics" alone unless you are a robot.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
You really can't base human emotions, empathy, opinions, and love/hate strictly on "statistics" alone unless you are a robot.
Exactly. But you were using quantifying language. Your argument was "more" vs "less" (subjective) while my opinion was "good" vs "bad" (objective)

You said, these days, "people tend to resort more towards violence to end disagreements." More than when? For the sake of argument, let's say you meant 1997, 20 years ago. You set up an equation: People tend to resort more toward violence in 2017 than in 1997.

See what I'm getting at? It may FEEL like more to you, but is it? There is actual data to prove you right or wrong out there somewhere.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly. But you were using quantifying language. Your argument was "more" vs "less" (subjective) while my opinion was "good" vs "bad" (objective)

You said, these days, "people tend to resort more towards violence to end disagreements." More than when? For the sake of argument, let's say you meant 1997, 20 years ago. You set up an equation: People tend to resort more toward violence in 2017 than in 1997.

See what I'm getting at? It may FEEL like more to you, but is it? There is actual data to prove you right or wrong out there somewhere.
Oh give me a break. Go ahead and over-analyze all my words if you want, but please take the time to "call out" all the other threads/posters who state their opinions on topics just as I have. I'm done.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Oh give me a break. Go ahead and over-analyze all my words if you want, but please take the time to "call out" all the other threads/posters who state their opinions on topics just as I have. I'm done.
OK, but you never answered how you came to your opinion, which I believe is wrong. You could convince me to change my mind if you had some evidence. Isn't that what we do here? Discuss our opinions and try to change those of others?

What do you think of my opinion, that false perceptions of increased interpersonal violence are driven by commercially motivated media reports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology