Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
This song:

Turn Around Lyrics - Lullaby Lyrics

This one has always gotten me ever since I was little. I have the Rosemary Clooney version downloaded, but I can't even listen to it, because it makes me cry so much to hear.
That one will do it! So sentimental, classical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 05:36 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I cried through the whole first half of Hotel New Hampshire, because the bear died. I don't know what that triggered, I've never owned a bear or had a pet shot...

JK, I realize that grief is grief.

Last edited by steiconi; 09-14-2017 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 07:21 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Interesting replies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was crazy for a second. Typically when this happens, I may mope around for a few days but by the next week, I'm okay. For me, my mind replays it over and over until it no longer has an effect. I can't go around crying in front of people all day lol. Unfortunately, I saw a movie the other day and I keep thinking about a specific scene I saw between the two main actors. Gets to me every time. I wish I could spot these triggers before they happen.

*sigh*

Old 09-14-2017, 07:30 PM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Interesting replies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was crazy for a second. Typically when this happens, I may mope around for a few days but by the next week, I'm okay. For me, my mind replays it over and over until it no longer has an effect. I can't go around crying in front of people all day lol. Unfortunately, I saw a movie the other day and I keep thinking about a specific scene I saw between the two main actors. Gets to me every time. I wish I could spot these triggers before they happen.

*sigh*
It's okay to to feel overwhelmed by an artistic experience...what could we do without art?

I feel it all the time...the ending of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was kinda epic. The frozen image of them facing their certain death, and you can only hear the Bolivian army shooting...goosebumps.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:09 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
No I can't relate. Fantasy is fantasy happy or sad. A song is just a song. I live in a bottom line world and only harsh reality can make me cry. Sometimes not even then.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
That hit you SO hard out of nowhere that you couldn't stop thinking about it or every time you thought about it, you teared up/cried?

Just curious because this has happened a few times in my life. It's not a consistent thing, it happens once in a blue moon. I can count on one hand how many times this happened. Like for example: When I was 14, I played a video game with a very sad ending and I literally cried for like 2 weeks afterwards every time I thought about it. Looking back, I can laugh lol. But that's just one of the few times it happened. I usually get desensitized to it after being exposed to it for a while.

Has this happened to any of you?

One time, I was driving home from work, and a song by an artist I don't even care that much about, came on the radio. It's an excessively sentimental song, and it reminded me of my dad, who died several years ago.

I started crying. On the way home, I stopped at the grocery store, and the ONE item I was in there for was out. And so I cried some more, right there in the grocery store aisle.

Turns out, I was hormonal. But at the time, I was rather shocked that a purposely sentimental song (which usually I kind of hate) was effecting me that way.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:36 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
Whenever I watch an episode of Black Mirror I end up thinking about it constantly for several days.

Oh I know what you mean!! That show has the knack for making you think outside the box, because every episode is so outside the box.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:36 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Music
Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber
There's a reason that is sometimes called "the saddest music ever written." It is hauntingly beautiful but so, so sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MHeNt6Yjs

For me one song that triggers tears every single time is the 1980s song "The Living Years" by Mike & the Mechanics ... it's just pop music so it annoys me to no end that it has such a huge impact on me, but it does. These days it makes me think of my mom, who will be 84 this Sunday. She's in decent health ... but she's 84.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDA0Hecw1k

Old 09-15-2017, 10:43 AM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Yes, there are certainly a few songs, movies, and episodes of shows that trigger deep sadness or a tearful emotional response for me. But I don't dwell on them, and I don't even deliberately watch/listen to them often. I have far more happiness-inducing or uplifting choices of music or film, and I indulge in those (especially music) deliberately and often. But that has been, for me, part of purposeful management, because I have in the past had serious depressive episodes, so I do things to keep my mind in the place I want it to be.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I've had inexplicably emotional reactions to several movies I've seen. Two that immediately spring to mind are Out of Africa and Cinema Paradiso. Neither mirrored my personal experiences, yet I was unusually emotional about them. I get that way about other movies, but in those cases it's self-explanatory. For instance, Schindler's List. I was haunted by that for weeks, but it's understandable. I'm also especially responsive to music. I often cry at live performances and have certain songs that stop me in my tracks if I even hear a snippet of them. I can even get pretty obsessed with paintings. Just the way my brain works, I guess. INFP and very right-brained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology