Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 08:52 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,266 times

Advertisements

The amount of sick fu**s in this thread is mind boggling. Reason exactly why I hate people but love animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,783,967 times
Have you ever considered trying to find the pet's owner like a normal human would? Or do you kill cats for fun?

Talk about sickening.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:19 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post

If you are letting your cat roam around outside your property into the street and my yard, and I find your cat in my backyard, I have no problem shooting the cat with a pellet gun, but I try to be kind and just catch it in a trap to take across the river or spray it with a water hose with force.
Shooting a cat or other domestic animal is a FELONY in my state, and doing a trap and releasing elsewhere of a cat that you KNOW belongs to someone is theft. Releasing it "across the river" can also be considered to be cruelty because now the cat has no way to get home.

You have serious mental issues. No, you really shouldn't have pets, or even be allowed around animals.

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/n...statutes#s353a

353-a. Aggravated cruelty to animals

Quote:
1. A person is guilty of aggravated cruelty to animals when, with no justifiable purpose, he or she intentionally kills or intentionally causes serious physical injury to a companion animal with aggravated cruelty. For purposes of this section, "aggravated cruelty" shall mean conduct which: (i) is intended to cause extreme physical pain; or (ii) is done or carried out in an especially depraved or sadistic manner.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
I understand, OP. I like animals, but I have no desire to domesticate one. I've taken to telling acquaintances who are curious about my pet-free existence that I'm allergic to animal dander, because it's easier than telling them that I just don't want a pet.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:41 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
It's borderline negligence/abuse to leave a dog alone all day in the house while you work. If you do work, then I would say unless someone is staying home with the dog or you're willing to shell out for the dog daycare or dog walkers, then maybe having a dog is not a great idea.
I'm sorry, but that's nonsense - and incredibly insulting to someone like me, who's raised a VERY happy dog for 12 years with that routine. As I said above, he's perfectly fine at home alone (with the cats) during the day, since we do a LOT of stuff together when I'm not working. My life basically revolves around him, aside from when I'm at work. So to say I'm "borderline abusing" my dog is ludicrous, and tells me you know very little about dogs. Dogs sleep for most of the day, and likely don't even care if you're gone for x hours, as long as you're giving them proper exercise and attention the rest of the time.

If I hired someone to babysit/walk my dog every day, not only would I go broke, but my dog would probably ignore whoever the sitter was. He doesn't want anyone but ME to spend time with him, and even snubs the pet sitter (my friend) on the rare occasions when I leave him home to go on a vacation. She's told me that he refuses to walk much, and basically spends the whole time moping on the couch. Again, do you even know anything about dogs?

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-24-2017 at 03:49 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
So, this is my experience with pets and pet owners in just a very small area of my neighborhood. And this is the same stuff happening all over America.
Sounds like you live in a neighborhood full of terrible pet owners - but that's certainly not true of most, and hope it's only true of a small percentage. I've never in 12 years had a complaint about my dog barking, and we've lived in some tight quarters! I currently live in a neighborhood filled with dogs/cats, and none of them have been a nuisance thus far. Maybe this is just more common where you live?

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-24-2017 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 07:38 PM

6,416 posts, read 1,426,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Have you ever considered trying to find the pet's owner like a normal human would? Or do you kill cats for fun?

Talk about sickening.
No, I would not waste time to try to locate the owner. If the cat is in my yard, I would do what i need to do the get it to leave. I have never killed a cat, and do not want to. If a cat is in my yard , I would do what I could to remove it. If I did catch it and bring it across the river and release it, if that is kidnapping (haha) than so be it....

Another note, I am temporarily living in an apartment complex. Why do people have pets in apartments?! There is no room for them to run around, and their noise is very loud when they are barking because you are right next to one another!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:40 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times
I can't understand the hate for "free roaming" cats. If I do see a cat roaming or just walking across my lawn, I don't have a conniption about it. If there is poop, the lawnmower takes care of it every week. I just can't stand hearing cats fighting or "in heat" at night when I am trying to sleep.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Another note, I am temporarily living in an apartment complex. Why do people have pets in apartments?! There is no room for them to run around, and their noise is very loud when they are barking because you are right next to one another!
Because if you live in a big city, and/or on a certain budget, an apartment might be your only option - and people in apartments also desire the companionship, protection, etc, that a pet can provide. Or in some cases they had acquired the animal while living in a house, but had to move into an apartment (for whatever reason), and didn't want to surrender their animals? I've moved about 20 times in 20ish years, and have never left a dog/cat behind even when majorly downsizing. See, because some of us consider our pets to be like family, and not disposable objects. And just like with human families who experience a change in housing, you adapt and adjust when it happens.

If you get the RIGHT dog or (less importantly) cat, they can do just fine in an apartment. About half of my homes have been apartments or townhouses, currently in a duplex, and I've noticed no difference in my pets' happiness. Cats don't care, honestly, since they mostly sleep anyway... and again, with dogs it's all about their exercise needs being met. My dog and I walk EVERY night + regular excursions together, so when we're home he is mostly crashed out on the floor. He's not a barker, either, and as I said above, I've never in 12 years received a noise complaint.

But I'm not lazy like some owners, and take my dog OUT when he needs to "run around." I don't just expect him to run in circles around the house or yard, like some folks apparently do. Those are the dogs you hear barking all the time; not the ones who are getting enough exercise and activity to wear them out. As they say, a tired dog is a good dog.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 AM

Btw, do you also question why people have children in apartments? I mean, there's no room for them to run around and play, plus they can be VERY noisy. But to families in big/dense cities like NYC and SF, apartments are the norm. And somehow they seem to manage just fine, for the most part. My father was born & raised in Brooklyn, and told me he didn't even KNOW (as a child) that homes could have yards - and nobody stomping around above you. He thought houses were eerily quiet at first, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology