Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I had a cool dog when I grew up that stayed outside, he was a spaniel and liked to run, chase birds, and rabbits. My family rarely let him come in the house, he had a part in the garage that was warm, when it got to cold.

I can't understand why some people treat pets like human beings. They also spend massive amounts of money on pets, and let them sleep in bed with them, and even pay people to babysit their pets.

I don't like the smell of cats or dogs in a house, and would not want a dog unless he stay outdoors.

Can anybody understand there are still people like me, that don't want a pet inside, or think of pets like actual people. They are only animals.
A person who keeps their dog outside doesn't have a pet. A pet is part of your life and you spend time with it. This doesn't mean treating them like human beings. It means having compassion and taking responsibility for them. Modern dogs aren't wolves whose body is conditioned to live outdoors. This has been bred out of them.

I assure you, 2 of my dogs would not survive a cold winter's night outside nor in a garage where it freezes. They both weigh 10 pounds or under. The Yorkie has to wear sweaters in the winter or she shivers. She has a winter coat for outside for when she does her business. When she's chilly, she will burrow under blankets on the couch, in her crate, or in our bed. One night outside or in a garage below freezing, she would die a slow painful death. That's beyond cruel and it's animal abuse which is a criminal act and you can go to jail for it where I live.

Yes, we spend a great deal of money on our pets. They need a good quality food, healthcare including dentals, beds, blankets, toys, crates, etc. We knew that when we adopted them. We made them apart of our family. This means taking care of them and not letting them to fend for themselves like homeless street dogs.

Cows, chickens, pigs, ducks, turkeys, sheep, and goats are all raised for food. They, too, are "just animals", yet farmers provide them with shelter and depending where they live there's heat or fans for weather. They're also provided with healthcare. Horses also have a farrier who visits. Have you even seen horses out to pasture wearing a blanket or a fly mask. That's the farmer taking care of their animals. None of these domesticated animals are left outside exposed to the elements. These animals also cost quite a bit of money to take care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 02:46 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Quote:
I had a cool dog when I grew up that stayed outside, he was a spaniel and liked to run, chase birds, and rabbits. My family rarely let him come in the house, he had a part in the garage that was warm, when it got to cold.

I can't understand why some people treat pets like human beings. They also spend massive amounts of money on pets, and let them sleep in bed with them, and even pay people to babysit their pets.

I don't like the smell of cats or dogs in a house, and would not want a dog unless he stay outdoors.

Can anybody understand there are still people like me, that don't want a pet inside, or think of pets like actual people. They are only animals.
Those of us who love our dogs more than most people love their children really don't care whether people like you understand us. You do your thing and I'll do mine.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Pets are as expensive as YOU make them. Our bunnies for example: $5 on 80lbs of hay from a farmer, that will last them easily a year. (food for bunnies). $6 for 40lbs of Equine pellets, will last about 6 months (litter for them to potty on). I re purposed a crib (free) into a cage. $1 cat toys from dollar tree.

My bunnies are actually CHEAPER than my dogs AND cats!

Old 09-18-2017, 02:49 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My cat isn't a pet. I'm staff. Non-cat owners fail to fully understand the relationship.
We do have sort of a partnership thing going on. She wakes me up before my alarm, she gets fed right away. Didn't take her long to pick up on that! I clean her litter box, she reminds me to clean off the top of my dresser or night table (usually by shoving stuff off of them). That sort of thing...

Old 09-18-2017, 03:12 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I have felt guilt for a long time in not being a pet person. Yes surprisingly people don't accept people who are not into animals. Everyone expects you to be a dog lover or to have an understanding of animals.

This man was walking his dog as I was checking the mail. The dog started sniffing at me and I was like um what do I do. So I just pretended I was happy and started petting the dog. I could not wait to go wash my hands. I always feel guilt about that also. I always want to wash my hands after touching people's animals but I don't want to offend them.
Try just saying "I'm allergic". Off the hook. Easy peasy.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:18 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I didn't have a pet for a really long time, because I wanted to make sure that I could commit to it for its life, and I was worried about how having a pet can narrow your options in rental homes, given we were moving around and stuff. Eventually we bought a house and I got a cat. Of course now I am back to renting...but the cat hasn't been TOO much of a problem, though pet deposits and fees can be kind of crazy. I scoop the litterbox daily, it takes under 5 minutes (including the time it takes to wash my hands) and I've asked friends, the sorts of friends who will tell you such things, if they smell it when they first enter the house or walk by, and they tell me that they cannot.

I know way too many people who let the litterbox go, that is a huge mistake if you have a cat. I mean god, imagine if a toilet was overflowing, and you had to step in it to use it, GROSS. I feel sorry for those cats.

I like dogs ok, but I don't want one, and I do get a little nervous of other people's dogs especially if I don't get a sense that they're well controlled by their owners. I wish that some folks would understand that no, not everyone in the world loves your dog. I don't expect everyone to love my cat, and I don't let him outside for my neighbors to deal with him pottying in their flowerbeds and stuff like that. He's an indoor beastie.

People are free to like animals, and pets.
People are free to NOT like animals and pets.

I just wish that people would be more consistently responsible pet guardians.

And while I do see my cat as a member of the family, rather than a possession, I also do find the term "fur babies" to be kind of .

Old 09-18-2017, 03:19 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:

I worked for someone like that. She owned one pet as a child, and that was it. She found pets a waste of time, dirty and useless.

She was a bitter, unhappy, angry woman. She found pleasure in nothing, and saw the worst in every situation.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I have felt guilt for a long time in not being a pet person. Yes surprisingly people don't accept people who are not into animals. Everyone expects you to be a dog lover or to have an understanding of animals.

This man was walking his dog as I was checking the mail. The dog started sniffing at me and I was like um what do I do. So I just pretended I was happy and started petting the dog. I could not wait to go wash my hands. I always feel guilt about that also. I always want to wash my hands after touching people's animals but I don't want to offend them.
I'm a huge pet lover, but I don't like to pet stranger's dogs. I will acknowledge them, and maybe pat them on the head. But I love my pets, and pets in general, but don't need to be touching all of them. If someone's offended by that, too bad. I wouldn't be offended if you didn't touch my pets.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:26 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
I'll pet-sit, but I won't own one. They are in the way, a pain to deal with, and I don't want the extra cost.

My friend has a big German shepherd, and she has to drop it off at someone's house when she wants to go camping overnight or on a long trip. And if the friend is unavailable, she has to drive 1 hour to her mom's house just to drop the dog off. No thanks. I don't need the extra hassle.

My husband had a bulldog, and when we got married, the dog lived with us as well. The dog had ear infections and eye infections and cost some $2,000 at least in medical bills alone. Food of course, was another cost. And he shed everywhere, which drove me nuts.

I don't like pets.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:28 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,338,548 times
Quote:

It's cruel to make a pack animal live alone. I wouldn't do it to a cow or horse and certainly not a dog who is supposed to be a pet. That's just mean and it has nothing to do with treating them like humans. It's recognizing that they are pack animals and need a pack around them. That pack could be humans or other dogs.

Why get a dog if you don't want him around you and your family? Please don't do that to a dog. Or a cow or a horse, but particularly a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology