Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
What is your opinion on people on social media (Facebook) who post asking people to "pray" for someone they know who is in dire straits? I have been noticing this a lot and it makes me wonder are they really sincere in their efforts or just "fishing for likes/comments". And I also wonder if they really do need "prayer", why don't they post themselves. And if the poster is doing this without the person's permission or blessing. I noticed one today that went into great detail about the "issue" that asked for prayer and it made me wonder if the person wanted strangers to know such personal details about them. Thoughts?
That such things are personally meaningful and comforting to them due to personal culture.
It doesn't have to do with fear. It has to do with what brings comfort to those in need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 02:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
The internet and social media have made it easy for people to be exposed to essentially total strangers who they'd never know in real life. Or forced through work strangers' peer pressure to interact when you never would. And those strangers get to have all types of opinions and judgement on your beliefs and actions. Then you even get accused of trolling your OWN WALL "asking for likes or comments".

Who cares?

Is money awarded for likes and comments and you're missing out on it?

I would never do Facebook and have a fake name account used strictly for reading stuff.

I had one for my business which I shut down the MOMENT one of my dopey clients posted a passive aggressive lie about something on my wall.

Don't need the aggravation.

My suggestion is to not follow people with whom you know you have fundamental differences. That's hours and hours of your life you'll never get back for absolutely no reason.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:00 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Quote:
What is your opinion on people on social media (Facebook) who post asking people to "pray" for someone they know who is in dire straits? I have been noticing this a lot and it makes me wonder are they really sincere in their efforts or just "fishing for likes/comments". And I also wonder if they really do need "prayer", why don't they post themselves. And if the poster is doing this without the person's permission or blessing. I noticed one today that went into great detail about the "issue" that asked for prayer and it made me wonder if the person wanted strangers to know such personal details about them. Thoughts?
The prayer requests are often ridiculous, people who ask for prayers for their hairdresser's neighbors' nephews co-worker's aunt. I mean, come on!! Not to mention the ones who have to post their entire day, from what they ate for breakfast to pics of their lunch, to the groceries they bought after work. Or the ones who post cryptic comments like "worst day ever" to try to bait people into asking "are you okay?", "what's wrong?", etc. That's why I quit facebook, too annoying.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
OK, if you happen to believe that prayer is beneficial, well fine, go right ahead. Its probably better than cursing someone. But to assume that the person you want prayers for even wants or welcomes your efforts seems quite bizarre.
Reminds me of when my Uncle was dying, and I posted about it on City-Data just to vent my own feelings... but I specifically said DO NOT pray for him, because he would have called that mumbo jumbo. He was a Jewish Atheist, which is a thing, and was never afraid to express his thoughts on the matter. So I knew he would not appreciate "prayers being sent," but would appreciate knowing people had him in their minds and hearts. Not to mention, there are no prayers that could cure what he had (Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease). So if anyone wanted to do something in his honor, I'd tell them to donate to CJD research.

Btw he passed away in 2009, and I still miss him so much.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
My FIL went through a rough patch about two years ago and I asked for prayers (the only time I've ever done this in the eleven years I've had a facebook account) because of my extended family who are all on facebook.

YMMV.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:50 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
I have never ever thought that. Fishing for what?

I take it at face value and think they just want prayer or positive thoughts.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:59 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
The prayer requests are often ridiculous, people who ask for prayers for their hairdresser's neighbors' nephews co-worker's aunt. I mean, come on!! Not to mention the ones who have to post their entire day, from what they ate for breakfast to pics of their lunch, to the groceries they bought after work. Or the ones who post cryptic comments like "worst day ever" to try to bait people into asking "are you okay?", "what's wrong?", etc. That's why I quit facebook, too annoying.
That is my biggest gripe with people on FB...the open ended, cryptic, “fishing” messages. On top of the play-by-play sports posts when a big game is on TV. Smh

Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Reminds me of when my Uncle was dying, and I posted about it on City-Data just to vent my own feelings... but I specifically said DO NOT pray for him, because he would have called that mumbo jumbo. He was a Jewish Atheist, which is a thing, and was never afraid to express his thoughts on the matter. So I knew he would not appreciate "prayers being sent," but would appreciate knowing people had him in their minds and hearts. Not to mention, there are no prayers that could cure what he had (Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease). So if anyone wanted to do something in his honor, I'd tell them to donate to CJD research.

Btw he passed away in 2009, and I still miss him so much.
It is indeed, as I'm one, too.

Social media spotlight hogs are one thing (and they come in all shapes and sizes and religious denominations), but I otherwise don't have a negative knee-jerk reaction toward people who ask for thoughts and prayers. Unless it's somehow hurting me, who am I to tell a pain and grief-stricken person that their request is superstitious at best and morally hazardous at worst?

If someone does this to me in person and tries to stress the prayer aspect (or some other spiritual notion), I'll try to politely brush it off and change the subject. If they persist and become nasty and self-righteous, then kid gloves come off. Fortunately, I've only had to resort to that once.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
The thread reminded me of this video/letter by a man who nearly died - entitled "Thank goodness I am alive"

Old 09-21-2017, 01:25 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Further consider the Royal Family in England. One of the most prayed for families on the planet. And note how messed up _they_ are.
Note how messed up it is that the royal family of England would be one of the most prayed-for families on the planet. Back in my first 18 years of life, when I was religious and prayed nightly, I'd sometimes pray for entirely random families in faraway lands that were assumed by me and/or known by the god I was praying to to have problems of such a nature that would exceed the powers of my imagination. I give my childhood self credit for praying in such a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology