Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRackum View Post
some old people are just nasty. people from NY and NJ area come to places like Fla and flip everyone off, yell like its NYC. And then wonder why people get mad at them. The attitude is nasty. No wonder most people who don't live there hate NYC

You mean that is confined to "old" people lol . ah you did say "some"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I mentioned in another thread a while back that "My life is a river of regrets, but I choose not to swim in it too often".
That's a great way to express it! Can't say I have many regrets. Yes, bad things accumulate with the years, though I would be highly suspicious of someone who claims nothing bad ever happened to them. The bad stuff tends to make a more tolerant, compassionate, and wiser human being. Who wouldn't want that?

I think back to my parents who shared a very long life together. My mother tended to see the good in things, cared about the planet and all who lived on it. My father just the opposite; suspicious, miserable, and joyless. Time and their age didn't really change anything.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-25-2017 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 02:57 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCow011 View Post
Here is an example of exactly what I am talking about. Taking things personally, being aggressive and defensive ... no acceptance that others may have different opinion. I am assuming an old person. No wisdom learned over time.
Ah, ah, ah, there you go making assumptions again . Nothing in my comment was aimed at YOU. I didn't take your post personally and have nothing to defend. Curious, what's your definition of an "old person"? Most likely I am older than you but do not fit your description at all. Age does harbor discernment after all, young whipper snapper.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-25-2017 at 04:11 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 03:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
I can't help but think how the OP's very ugly statement would be viewed if he had said 'black people have no value' 'Jews have no value' 'people of many different ethnicities have no value' - and black people, Jews, and many different ethnic groups were substituted for 'old people' in his statement and all of his complaints and derogatory ideas were about black people, Jews, or any of various ethnic groups.

His statement never would be allowed to stand and remain. It would have been deleted.

I consider older people, as a category of people, just as important as black people, Jews, and ethnic groups in discussions, and they should not be treated in derogatory ways as a group nor discussed as a group in derogatory ways.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-25-2017 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 03:25 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Tell 'em, Matisse. We add diversity to the population. What would life be like if we were all separated by decade?

I personally don't think of any human beings as worthless. There is always a message to be gained from everyone you meet even if it's a cautionary tale.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 PM

857 posts, read 959,225 times
OP is probably a millennial loser.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:10 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCow011 View Post
I don't need someone telling me what to do or how to do it. I don't need advise. But what I do need is someone who can accept me and encourage me. Someone who believes that I have the tools within me to figure it all out.
Acceptance of you as a capable person and uncritical validation of all your choices are not the same thing. Are you sure you're not confusing the two?

Old 09-25-2017, 05:46 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
OP is probably a millennial loser.

I don't know, could be 50 and resents a 70 year old telling him/her what to do, or a 12 year old resenting a 40 year old , since the op didn't elaborate or define what "old" is id say the post is just the usual trolling �� ��

Old 09-25-2017, 06:40 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Hey, all you kids get off my porch.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
Generally speaking, I've never had any issues with old people personally. Once, an old guy yelled at me because I was crossing at a crosswalk, which by state law, pedestrians have the right of way. And my maternal grandparents are extremely racist and bigoted. But other than than, most of my experiences have either been neutral or friendly. I think those who are cranky or curmudgeony probably have good reason to be. They're probably sore, take too many pills, feel like they didn't accomplish everything they wanted to in life, etc. Being old and having your friends, family, and body give up on you, so to speak, has got to be tough on anybody. So whenever I see a cranky old person, I just shrug my shoulders and move on. As far as I'm concerned, they've probably earned the right to be that cranky.

And I'm just a no good, dirty Millennial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology