Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:00 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCow011 View Post
The majority of old people sound like a broken record, complaining about how they get no respect, how they don't feel valued.

It's sad, but most old people of today aren't valued but its their own fault, it's because they have nothing valueable to offer.

I do not expects old people to keep up with the latest trends, to know the latest technology, to be hip with the latest entertainment, to keep up with the pace of globalization, to do physically demanding tasks, to even be able to work a job, to even be able to take care of themselves.

But what I do expect from old people is that when they had the ability to do these things, that they lived their life to the fullest, faced adversity, and ultimately came out of this experience with a level of ACCEPTANCE.

Some things went right, somethings went wrong, but ultimately they learned to accept themselves for who they are and found that all the external stuff is not important. They learned to be happy with life on life's terms. And having found themselves, they have a sense of SERENITY.

I expect old people to have something that young people do not yet have, the ability to LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME. And that is a wisdom that I can appreciate in old people. That is an energy that I want to be around. I want to be around wise old people who because they can accept themselves for who they are, can accept me for who I am.

I don't need someone telling me what to do or how to do it. I don't need advise. But what I do need is someone who can accept me and encourage me. Someone who believes that I have the tools within me to figure it all out.

But the old people I come in contact with are bitter. They are complaining. And the very fact that they have so much anger, so much discontent, tells me that they have not found acceptance. That they have not found serenity. That in their 60+ years of life they have not mastered it.

It makes me feel that instead of facing their adversity, they instead numbed themselves with alcohol, television, unhealthy relationships, drugs, etc. And as a result they did not grow. They stayed adult children. And now in their old age they have no more wisdom than an 18 year old.

Sorry to be harsh, but its' their own damn fault that they have no value. And it is not too late for anyone to start facing the negative within them instead of spraying it all over the place.

WOW. You are really P****d off at the older generation aren't you? As a 71 year old Male I can understand some of the feelings you have expressed. I remember when as a teenager I thought my Dad was an old "fogey" that didn't have a clue about what was going on in the World. I spent several weeks with him the summer before I turned 21 and we settled our differences. I lost my Dad the summer I turned 32 and every year since then I have grown to appreciate him more and more.

My Dad was just an ordinary Man. He was not a Saint. Not a financial success. He was not the smartest guy in the room. But because of several million Men (and their Women) similar to my Dad the USA came to be the greatest country on God's Green Earth. Sadly I don't think my generation (Baby Boomers) will be held in high regard by future generations.

I remember a comment my Dad made about the Father of a friend of mine. My friends Father was a drunk, a wife beater, an adulterer, a liar a thief etc. Dad told me that ""Sometimes a bad example is better than no example". It didn't make sense to me then but I have kept contact with this friend over the years and when I told this friend about my Dad's comment he sort of laughed and told me that my Dad was a very wise man. Maybe the legacy of the Baby Boomers will be that they were a "bad example".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
The majority of old people sound like a broken record, complaining about how they get no respect, how they don't feel valued.

It's sad, but most old people of today aren't valued but its their own fault, it's because they have nothing valueable to offer.

I do not expects old people to keep up with the latest trends, to know the latest technology, to be hip with the latest entertainment, to keep up with the pace of globalization, to do physically demanding tasks, to even be able to work a job, to even be able to take care of themselves.

But what I do expect from old people is that when they had the ability to do these things, that they lived their life to the fullest, faced adversity, and ultimately came out of this experience with a level of ACCEPTANCE.

Some things went right, somethings went wrong, but ultimately they learned to accept themselves for who they are and found that all the external stuff is not important. They learned to be happy with life on life's terms. And having found themselves, they have a sense of SERENITY.

I expect old people to have something that young people do not yet have, the ability to LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME. And that is a wisdom that I can appreciate in old people. That is an energy that I want to be around. I want to be around wise old people who because they can accept themselves for who they are, can accept me for who I am.

I don't need someone telling me what to do or how to do it. I don't need advise. But what I do need is someone who can accept me and encourage me. Someone who believes that I have the tools within me to figure it all out.

But the old people I come in contact with are bitter. They are complaining. And the very fact that they have so much anger, so much discontent, tells me that they have not found acceptance. That they have not found serenity. That in their 60+ years of life they have not mastered it.

It makes me feel that instead of facing their adversity, they instead numbed themselves with alcohol, television, unhealthy relationships, drugs, etc. And as a result they did not grow. They stayed adult children. And now in their old age they have no more wisdom than an 18 year old.

Sorry to be harsh, but its' their own damn fault that they have no value. And it is not too late for anyone to start facing the negative within them instead of spraying it all over the place.
At every age, from 0 to 115, some people are happy and some are unhappy. It depends on their personal situation. If you generalize too much, you're just making useless assumptions, really.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:08 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
WOW. You are really P****d off at the older generation aren't you? As a 71 year old Male I can understand some of the feelings you have expressed. I remember when as a teenager I thought my Dad was an old "fogey" that didn't have a clue about what was going on in the World. I spent several weeks with him the summer before I turned 21 and we settled our differences. I lost my Dad the summer I turned 32 and every year since then I have grown to appreciate him more and more.

My Dad was just an ordinary Man. He was not a Saint. Not a financial success. He was not the smartest guy in the room. But because of several million Men (and their Women) similar to my Dad the USA came to be the greatest country on God's Green Earth. Sadly I don't think my generation (Baby Boomers) will be held in high regard by future generations.

I remember a comment my Dad made about the Father of a friend of mine. My friends Father was a drunk, a wife beater, an adulterer, a liar a thief etc. Dad told me that ""Sometimes a bad example is better than no example". It didn't make sense to me then but I have kept contact with this friend over the years and when I told this friend about my Dad's comment he sort of laughed and told me that my Dad was a very wise man. Maybe the legacy of the Baby Boomers will be that they were a "bad example".

I don't think anyone is p@@@@@d off except the op who you may have noticed did a hit and run on cd

Old 09-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times
OP...the old gen was left in the dust when the digital age came about. All they can offer is old tech. It is a young person's world nowadays.

Here is a short flip book pdf that sums up how it was back in the day.

https://archive.org/details/Retireme...dR.Shackleford

Old 09-26-2017, 03:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post

OP...the old gen was left in the dust when the digital age came about. All they can offer is old tech. It is a young person's world nowadays.

Here is a short flip book pdf that sums up how it was back in the day.

https://archive.org/details/Retireme...dR.Shackleford
Lots of people who are currently in their 60's and 70's know a lot about technology and use it every day.

We used technology at our jobs extensively, and many started with technology at their jobs around 1989 and used it right up until 2014 or later at their jobs or whatever year when they retired.

You are making an enormous mistake in your thinking.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-26-2017 at 04:47 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 03:49 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
Quote:

Broad generalization, and not true.

Quote:
Why not? Nowadays it is easier than ever to keep informed. And many old(er) people are able to do demanding jobs, work, live independently, etc.

Quote:

No idea what your point is. Level of acceptance of what? And external stuff is not important? Well, guess what, people who are shallow when they are young usually become shallow old people. Do you really think age automatically makes everyone wise and yoda-like?

Quote:
What does that even mean, the ability to live one day at a time. And why would old people have that ability while young people do not? And just because someone has self-acceptance does not mean they will accept you for who you are, regardless of the ages involved.

Quote:
Then you need a mentor, not necessarily an old person (if any who meet all of your requirements even exist).

Quote:
You are hanging out with the wrong people.

Quote:
There is no specific maturity pattern everyone adheres to. Some people get wiser as they age, some don't. Some people get grumpier, some don't. Some are invested in life, some aren't. Some remain interested and informed, some don't. Get the picture?

Quote:
Value is relative and not age-related. There are plenty of young(er) people who have no apparent value.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:11 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
LOL, I picture poor OP working at a senior facility, at low wages, with old people that have been warehoused. How happy would you be, changing wet bed sheets all day long, for old people complaining of bed sores.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:23 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
Depends on the person. Anything always depends on each individual person.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:32 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
I saw an old man standing in his yard, spraying a hose at nothing today. I waved at him as I was driving past and he looked startled and his water stream went way up and then back to hosing at "regular" level. He waved and smiled.
I like old hosers.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:04 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I saw an old man standing in his yard, spraying a hose at nothing today. I waved at him as I was driving past and he looked startled and his water stream went way up and then back to hosing at "regular" level. He waved and smiled.
I like old hosers.
Ha, at least he still had a good water stream, not so much for some of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology