Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 05:44 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
If it's any solace I am largely a dweller myslef, although I do post on my home state and area thread on occasion and cannot wait until some of the Alaska photo page regulars start posting Aurora Borealis pictures.

It' a rather nice, varied and informative dungeon isn't it...
lol,
I'm probably more of a DD (dungeon Dweller) now also.

I started out though going the the upper echelon of the forum. I'm searching for a place to retire to in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 04:48 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Same. Though others might say otherwise.
I think when it comes to the "nice positive poster" categories, that most of us are hybrids, of sorts.

When it comes to the nasty variety, I think it is possible that they abide in one category.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:02 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
OK. I have a interesting idea! Let's all tell each other who we think we are on City Data, tell us "Who Do You Think You Are?"

OK - this is who I think I am.

Benevolent and Nomad.

Anyone else? I love this thread!

Last edited by sheena12; 10-04-2017 at 05:56 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
More humorous observation than judgement PJ (that's the point). Funny, I was going to suggest in my opening comments that we do not accuse others of any of the categories/traits listed here given the fact that could get out of hand in a hurry, and the accuser may be seen as playing amateur armchair psychoanalyst, but I did not think it was necessary. If one wanted to volunteer they possessed a trait (hopefully in the spirit of humor) or belonged to a category that would be a different scenario, of course.
You actually went against your own suggestion in your opening thread since you
accused every member on City Data of falling into your specified categories.
You did however forget one category, let's just title it:
The ASSumer: Set up shop in Psychology and ASSumes they know anything about any one of the random strangers on the public forum just from a few written opinions posted...

Old 10-04-2017, 06:21 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You actually went against your own suggestion in your opening thread since you
accused every member on City Data of falling into your specified categories.
You DID read the "half tongue in cheek" in my opener didn't you?... I am not accusing any CD member of falling into anything, if one happens to identify with one of my categories or traits therein, or aspires to any of same, that would be an introspection or reflection on their part.

Bear in mind there are as many profiles and categories as there are grains of sand on planet earth, I have merely picked up a few and presented my take on them with some humor thrown in.

Quote:
The ASSumer: Set up shop in Psychology and ASSumes they know anything about any one of the random strangers on the public forum just from a few written opinions posted...
Just to point out that if you have someone specific in mind regarding this profile, it would make you the assigner/accuser, in that case it may be autobiographical/self reflective on your part. My personal wish is that neither is the case here.

Purely in the spirit of humor, however, it's nice to see a six star general with reputation points nearly double their post count weigh in here...

Old 10-05-2017, 10:31 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
This. Yep, this.

You can tell you're dealing with one when the topic is: "Why does everyone...." or "Why is everybody so..."

Old 10-06-2017, 02:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Hmmmmm, I think you left out one.

There are those who believe I am a figment of someone's imagination........and then, there are those who pray I am!

Old 10-06-2017, 05:32 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OK. I have a interesting idea! Let's all tell each other who we think we are on City Data, tell us "Who Do You Think You Are?"
Benevolent and Nomad.
Sheena, from what I see, your combination seems to be the most popular and wished for. In the spirit of humor, of course, I suggest a possible "Benevolent Nomad Bootcamp" to prepare posters (particularly dug in die hard single forum regulars) for the pleasures and perils of this profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Hmmmmm, I think you left out one.
There are those who believe I am a figment of someone's imagination........and then, there are those who pray I am!
This one's easy Tamara! Although a highly refined and specialized sub-category profile numbering only those in your immediate sphere, a fairytale would be a figment or one's imagination, if I am reading between the lines correctly here, some may take a grim view of your actions on occasion.

The "Grim Fairytale" Poster

Old 10-13-2017, 02:04 PM

534 posts, read 489,342 times
I loved this thread! I think I self-identify as a hybrid of Brigadoon and Nomad, what would that be?

I'm posting on City Data a lot lately mostly because a forum I was active on for a long time has gone away....probably permanently.

It's hard to find a fit (a home) here because the Spiritual forum is mostly about debating abstract intellectual ideas rather than personal original experience, which I find far more interesting, and I tried the Psychology forum for the first time the other day and it was a really weird experience. But I will respond to any post on any forum that piques my interest.

Sometimes posters make a post and I feel like they are really asking something entirely different, and I like to explore that, but I haven't found that most posters are interested in that, so sometimes my responses are stilted (I held back what I really wanted to say). So I will probably Nomad my way to somewhere else and be a Brigadoon until I'm led back here again.

OP what a great thread, I love threads that challenge my own self awareness. (Actually they all do, but this one was a great pointer!) Very nice!

Last edited by typical_guinea_pig; 10-13-2017 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 10-13-2017, 02:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,886 times
Quote:
In a half serious/ half tongue in cheek format, I thought it might be curious to delve into some of the habits, mindsets (and locksets) of what I have experienced and come across with fellow C-D members and posters over the years. The "Psychology" forum seemed the most appropriate one to place the thread. And so here is my take on some of the "Poster Personalities" so to speak. Feel free to add, embellish, disagree, blend from one or more, etc....

The Benevolent Regular...

Sets up shop on one particular State, City, or Subject Matter forum. If knowledgeable, posts very helpful information, helps and welcomes newcomers, etc. Usually a pleasant sort even if not so knowledgeable>

The Malevolent Regular

Sets up shop same as the benevolent with one big difference. The saddest day in their lives is when they were forced to graduate high school and lose the power and poisoned privilege of their "cliques" and are desperately seeking to re-establish same. Can join in with like minded regulars to form roving "clique gangs" that get sarcastic with anyone and everyone at the drop of a hat, foster and encourage strife and controversy. Unsuspecting newcomers are their "target of choice".

The "Professional"

Usually sets up shop on a City, State, or Subject Matter forum they have some professional experience or service they can offer fellow posters. Usually very helpful and friendly in hopes their advice will lead a poster to DM them and hire their service. Real Estate Agents, Home Inspectors, etc. come to mind as examples of this type of poster.

One drawback of this poster is they usually avoid controversy and even lively debate at all costs, be it helpful to the topic or not, in fear they will offend someone. They do not place alot of emotional or personal skin in the game and their posts can come across as clinical and antiseptic.

The "Popularity" Poster

Likes to be popular and well thought of with a high reputation point score. You get the feeling they sometimes gear their comments towards this goal and may forego saying what they really feel as a result. They can start a thread in an inappropriate forum if they feel if will gain more views over the proper one with less traffic. Some can be very fast out of the gate with a hot topic geared to their forum of choice and one can wonder if these particular posters ever sleep.

They may also fiercely guard said hot topics from any latecomers that may chime in or start a similar thread later on.

The "Brigadoon" Poster

Appears out of the mists one day every hundred years, makes a few posts (may even start a thread) then fades back into the mists to lay dormant for another hundred years.

The "Dungeon Dweller"

Eschews the City, State, Territory and Country forums and sets up residence down in the lower reaches of the C-D Forum giving opinions on Great Debates, arguing with the Agnostics on the "Religion and Spirituality" forum, and cannot decide if they would rather be a "prepper" of "survivalist" on the Survival and Self Sufficiency" forum. Rarely if ever surfaces to post on the City and State forums.

The "Nomad"

Their philosophical boots and backpack are their home, have varied interests and knowledge and can show up on any thread at any time. They have a particular aversion of malevolent regulars and the clever one's can make short work of them.

The "Troll"

Last but not least, and unfortunately self explanatory.
Cool thread.

I'm calling myself a "Peaceful Nomad" who avoids the Malevolent Regulars, as well as controversial topics, because arguing is not my idea of a good time. Having grown up in a hostile home, I stay as far away from it as possible.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 10-13-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology