Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I guess my main point in all of this is that it seems like some of the most unsavory behaviors are rewarded here, on this forum, far more than we see them rewarded in real life.

If someone is a narcissistic snob in real life, for instance, I think most of us cringe at their constant gloating and self-promoting.

If someone is rude or condescending in real life, we are usually offended by it.

But on here, it would seem that these traits are placed on a pedestal given how these types of posters seem to stand out.
Some sections tend to tolerate it more than others. 'Relationships' are a mine field!

Old 10-05-2017, 11:52 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I don't know if it's been stated (it probably has) that they probably post a lot in Politics and Controversies forums.

And/OR the more "troll-like" or inflammatory the statement the more rep you get. At least here on CD that seems to be the case. Moderate posters, or posts that aren't inflammatory just don't get reps, because they don't invoke a passionate enough response from others. That's just current day human nature. You can make sense all day long, but no one really cares. The truth of an issue is usually pretty boring.

Granted good people and posts get rep, however they tend to post A LOT.

If there was a rate down like Reddit or other meritocratic BBSes I've been on there might be a different story.

Since those posters aren't "checked" here like they are on other forums that behavior continues to spread. My local forum here has become a right-wing cess pool, in part, because of this. You would think Los Angeles is as conservative as 1960's Alabama.

And it's one of the reasons why I'm not on here as much anymore.
I think you’ve done a fine job articulating my observations. Agreed with you about the differences here compared to reddit. The nasty trolls are usually put in their place by being downvoted. Obviously there are unintended consequences to that system, because people abuse it and downvote anything they disagree with whether it was a valid point or not. But here, it does seem the system allows it to be far more skewed towards this crowd than the moderate or more empathetic posters.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Some sections tend to tolerate it more than others. 'Relationships' are a mine field!
Absolutely agreed! The Work and Employment forum fits this criteria for me. You’d think that Corporate America and management despises employees so much by spending enough time reading the responses there. Granted, I think some posters are trolling and trying to invoke outrage by posting some pretty absurd scenarios.

But I really enjoy this sub, because it seems like people are genuinely interested in the intellectual side of the discussion. And considering some of the hot button issues that are discussed, people seem relatively more polite and civil here.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:57 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
I wish you could post names so we could review the people and give opinions

Old 10-05-2017, 11:58 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Another thing is watch how short a thread is when there is no drama. When there is drama it goes on and on even if the OP bails due to it!

Quote:
But I really enjoy this sub, because it seems like people are genuinely interested in the intellectual side of the discussion.
Me too.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Not exactly, but that can happen, so can the calling on friends, to attack an individual who's not part of the normal crowd.

I'll give an example; Someone that doesn't normally act hostile, comes along trying to mess up a thread I've started, one that up to that point was totally lighthearted. I cross reference what I've just been posting on another thread, and the timings of this said person's posts, and know this person is just attacking me, or whatever I've said, for no other reason, than to get at me for my knowledge of the other thread's subject matter. I respond in kind, and put them in their place, but that's all you see. Other people know me, and know what I won't stand for, and also see this other person to be just trouble making.

Am I the bad person?
Believe it or not, I think these people realize they are being jerks. Especially if they aren’t that way all the time. Maybe they just get caught up in the moment, or they’re having a really bad day and snap at you for something you’ve said and they took it the wrong way.

If that’s not how you typically act, then you probably know what you did was wrong. But if that is your behavior all the time, then you probably have no idea how you are impacting others.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Another thing is watch how short a thread is when there is no drama. When there is drama it goes on and on even if the OP bails due to it!
Yep. I’ve noticed that as well. Seems like the drama sells more than anything. I’ve observed a very insightful contributor post on various subs seeking life and career advice, and most of their threads last a couple posts or so and sink to the bottom. But god forbid the wrong person gets a promotion, and we’ll be going back and forth on that topic for days, never to hear from the OP again.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:08 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, I think these people realize they are being jerks. Especially if they aren’t that way all the time. Maybe they just get caught up in the moment, or they’re having a really bad day and snap at you for something you’ve said and they took it the wrong way.

If that’s not how you typically act, then you probably know what you did was wrong. But if that is your behavior all the time, then you probably have no idea how you are impacting others.
Or, they do know, and it's what they get off on.

I agree with all you say though.

Note; I remember once reading a post, from someone that thought posting on here was, " just a bit of fun". I think that said it all.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:22 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Agree too...

but Politics etc forum worse for vicious attacks, IMO.

[/b]
Quote:
Absolutely agreed! The Work and Employment forum fits this criteria for me. You’d think that Corporate America and management despises employees so much by spending enough time reading the responses there. Granted, I think some posters are trolling and trying to invoke outrage by posting some pretty absurd scenarios.

But I really enjoy this sub, because it seems like people are genuinely interested in the intellectual side of the discussion. And considering some of the hot button issues that are discussed, people seem relatively more polite and civil here.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post

Note; I remember once reading a post, from someone that thought posting on here was, " just a bit of fun". I think that said it all.
Lol, I had a similar response when discussing the civility and effectiveness of the Work and Employment forum. The poster asked, “why do you care what anybody here thinks?” And I was like, “because it’s an advice forum?”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology