Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 09:14 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,322,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I hope you write somewhere besides here. That one-sentence para shows some real descriptive talent.
You made me laugh out loud. I do post elsewhere. I can pop up anywhere. Except Politics. Never in Politics, which saddens me, because I'd love to have some low key discussions and debates like I manage to do on Facebook. Not possible on that board.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:25 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,427,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
You made me laugh out loud. I do post elsewhere. I can pop up anywhere. Except Politics. Never in Politics, which saddens me, because I'd love to have some low key discussions and debates like I manage to do on Facebook. Not possible on that board.
I didn't mean posting in other forums, or on any message board. I meant writing as in articles, books, what have you.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I didn't mean posting in other forums, or on any message board. I meant writing as in articles, books, what have you.
ooooh.

I am in a creative writing group or two, and while my job requires a lot of writing, I don't get to exercise my descriptive chops that much in my role unless it's in internal emails.

And thank you!

Old 10-06-2017, 12:55 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,718,981 times
I don't know how they do it. I've been chided for responding negatively to openly racist comments on the idaho board. Allowing open racists to come back under slightly different names doesn't seem to be smart but not my board.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:11 PM

36,382 posts, read 15,982,902 times
I'm baffled, the CD'ers I know with very high reps and posts, over 100K, are really great people!!

Old 10-06-2017, 01:12 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,824,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I’ve noticed that some posters who’ve been around awhile and have some of the higher rep ratings have some of the most unsavory personality traits. Narcissistic, ageist, condescending, obtuse, unempathetic,downright rude can all be used to describe some of these people. How does something like this happen? I generally have faith in humans doing the right thing, but when I see that these people tend to be highly rewarded for their behavior here, it sort of baffles me.

Am I wrong about people? Do most actually admire people with these sorts of traits? Why do you think this is the case? Is this a forum thing? Because I feel like people who act this way in real life are usually called out and put in their place, definitely not respected or admired for this behavior.
You mean personal attacks like this (I'm not involved in the below discussion):

Quote:
Dinner and drinks.

What are you, like 12? Every response you’ve had here, and in other threads with me, is like that of an angsty, sarcastic know-it-all pre-teen. Do yourself a favor and grow up! Your behavior is embarrassing, especially if you are an adult. I can’t imagine this snarky attitude gets you very far in life, despite what it does for you on this forum.

You simply need to take a break from CD, or the mods give you a free vacation on their own accord.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:24 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,471,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You mean personal attacks like this:

You simply need to take a break from CD, or the mods give you a free vacation on their own accord.
Okay, you are taking something completely out of context from an entirely different thread to drive your narrative. Maybe, before hi-jacking this thread for your hit job, you’d like to provide a little bit of background of this particular response to another poster. The post you copied over is one of the last I posted in response to a line of snarky responses from the poster in question.

This poster I was responding to has immaturely harassed me on other threads and has actually had her posts removed as a result. In one such case, she mocked me for spelling something differently than she would have. I didn’t say anything then, but I’ve had enough of her nastiness towards me.

This poster jumped into another thread that I responded to the OP on and continued to make snarky responses to me when I questioned her line of reasoning for the advice she gave. Several other posters commended me for my feedback to OP. Context means everything, and you chose to leave that out.

My question to you is why are you bringing this up entirely out of context? What do you have to gain from trying to make me out to be guilty of what I’m talking about in the OP? Is this poster your forum buddy or something? Why don’t you post a link to the entire thread so people can read the rest of the discussion? I would be more than happy to.

The problem with attacks like this is that you want some people to be neutered from standing up for themselves, while allowing others to have free range in saying whatever they want, however they want to people on this forum.

Please don’t hi jack my thread to post something out of context for a Gotchya moment, or you’ll be the one being reported to the mods.

Last edited by Left-handed; 10-06-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 01:33 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,824,916 times
Quote:
Okay, you are taking something completely out of context from an entirely different thread to drive your narrative. Maybe, before hi-jacking this thread for your hit job, you’d like to provide a little bit of background of this particular response to another poster. The post you copied over is one of the last I posted in response to a line of snarky responses from the poster in question.

This poster I was responding to has immaturely harassed me on other threads and has actually had her posts removed as a result. In one such case, she mocked me for spelling something differently than she would have. I didn’t say anything then, but I’ve had enough of her nastiness towards me.

This poster jumped into another thread that I responded to the OP on and continued to make snarky responses to me when I questioned her line of reasoning for the advice she gave. Several other posters commended me for my feedback to OP. Context means everything, and you chose to leave that out.

My question to you is why are you bringing this up entirely out of context? What do you have to gain from trying to make me out to be guilty of what I’m talking about in the OP? Is this poster your forum buddy or something? Why don’t you post a link to the entire thread so people can read the rest of the discussion? I would be more than happy to.

The problem with attacks like this is that you want some people to be neutered from standing up for themselves, while allowing others to have free range in saying whatever they want, however they want to people on this forum.

Please don’t hi jack my thread to post something out of context for a Gotchya moment, or you’ll be the one being reported to the mods.
Wow! serious overreaction

yeah you really need a time out...take a break dude, smoke a bit of ganja...reeeeelllllaaaaax....you've been here all of 4 months? LOL...wow...forget about this forum for awhile.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
You mean personal attacks like this (I'm not involved in the below discussion):

That hardly qualifies as a personal attack - I haven't seen the whole thread but nothing very inflammatory there. It wasn't NICE is all. Nothing sexually inappropriate, nothing racist, nothing foul. There's a certain level of verbal evisceration that is warranted when someone oversteps. I got lambasted on another board over something incredibly stupid recently, and I didn't hold back that much when I responded (though there was more I wanted to say but didn't). Personally, I'm sunshine and light until someone gets nasty with me. And if you reveal your own flaws while going after me, yeah, I'm gonna point it out.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:38 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,471,028 times
Quote:
Wow!

yeah you really need a time out...
I’m merely explaining the details that you opted to leave out while trying to paint me in a negative light. I think your actions here illustrate several points in this thread that the buddy system is alive and well on this forum. You apparently didn’t like that I stood up to your forum buddy, so you thought you’d post something out of context to make it appear that I’m the real problem.

If you respond again with some off topic, personal comments about me, I’m going to report you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.