Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinley View Post
You poor darling. You seem to have very limited experience with females since you have never encountered this type before.

What kind of comment about your belt?

Have you ever seen mean girls?

"I like your bracelet where did you get it? It's adorable."
"I love your skirt. Where did you get it? It's adorable."

She didn't care that you didn't go to the credit union to humor her.
She was bored waiting on line so she decided to use you to humor herself and who ever else appeared to be an easy target.
How did you not know that some chicks do this?

You either had a really ugly belt, a belt that said something stupid on the belt buckle, or some kind of poser belt or something. Like a weightlifting belt but you didn't have a muscle in sight so she knew you weren't really a weight lifter. So she started a conversation about your belt or told you she liked it just to mess with you.
And she did it under the guise of being friendly.

"I love your belt. Where did you get it. It's adorable."

Lol

Ps. Or maybe she worked at the bank and was doing her job by being chatty and polite to the customers as they wait on line. Sometimes they do that. But she was still making fun of your belt. What did it look like?
So true. I think. After all, my wife always has to put up with stuff like "I love your husband. Where did you get him? He's adorable." She just shines them on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 12:53 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
People are the way they are, others are more open and some are more guarded. You can't force someone to interact with you.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:34 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
People don't have to accept invitations to interact... but really, it's their loss.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:58 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Yes - it would be extremely rude and childish - plain and simple

Old 10-10-2017, 05:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
People don't have to accept invitations to interact... but really, it's their loss.
I agree, and there have probably been times in my life when I shut down people who were trying to get to know me, and I shouldn't have.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Surely you aren't saying you were kind to people only when it was in your own best interest professionally and monetarily? Unkind people are very unpleasant to be around, but I guess that's strategic since they like to be alone so much.
There are times to just be friendly, but I would have to much to think about and sometimes when I was on the way to my office, saying good morning to every one when I passed their desk, was very distracting. Not having a big greeting for everyone that said good morning as I walked by their desk, was too distracting when I was wanting to think.

I was at my peak in the corporate world, division sales manager for every thing west of the Mississippi river. I have had a lot of people in the office suites I may pass through. I did not have the inclination to disrupt mentally making plans for the day, just to go by everyone on the way giving them a cheery good morning. I knew a lot of people in offices I worked in, that felt the same way. In fact I have been in managers meetings when the problem was discussed, of these especially women that wanted to attract attention to themselves, and greeted anyone that passed by their desk going somewhere else, and expected the person they were greeting to give them a greeting in return. Doing so wastes a lot of time, and depending on your position, it may be the only time you would have to set your day in order.

The person that expects everyone to give them attention, is the one that is out of line. Just because they want to be showered with attention, does not mean everyone should give it to them. When you are in the office, you are there to do your job, not trying to get everyone's attention, and give them a greeting. Such action has no place in a well run office situation. It should be saved to flirt in bars in the evening, etc.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Yes - it would be extremely rude and childish - plain and simple
The one that is being rude and childish, is the one that garners attention by trying to get the attention and a greeting from everyone that passes their desk all day long. They should be doing their job, not trying to get everyone's attention.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There are times to just be friendly, but I would have to much to think about and sometimes when I was on the way to my office, saying good morning to every one when I passed their desk, was very distracting. Not having a big greeting for everyone that said good morning as I walked by their desk, was too distracting when I was wanting to think.

I was at my peak in the corporate world, division sales manager for every thing west of the Mississippi river. I have had a lot of people in the office suites I may pass through. I did not have the inclination to disrupt mentally making plans for the day, just to go by everyone on the way giving them a cheery good morning. I knew a lot of people in offices I worked in, that felt the same way. In fact I have been in managers meetings when the problem was discussed, of these especially women that wanted to attract attention to themselves, and greeted anyone that passed by their desk going somewhere else, and expected the person they were greeting to give them a greeting in return. Doing so wastes a lot of time, and depending on your position, it may be the only time you would have to set your day in order.

The person that expects everyone to give them attention, is the one that is out of line. Just because they want to be showered with attention, does not mean everyone should give it to them. When you are in the office, you are there to do your job, not trying to get everyone's attention, and give them a greeting. Such action has no place in a well run office situation. It should be saved to flirt in bars in the evening, etc.
I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology