Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 05:22 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I've been thinking a lot about the many mass shootings in the U.S. in recent years, and my take on it is that there isn't any one cause. It's a combination of several factors:

1. Gender.
2. Social structure.
3. Media.
4. Overpopulation.
5. Untreated mental health issues.
6. Easy access to firearms.

If you take a disturbed person with a lot of untapped energy, a grudge against society, the fantasy that shooting people will somehow make him a hero and the means to acquire firearms, and you have a recipe for mass murder.
Good points. There was a 23 year old man who was responsible for the Isla Vista/U.C. Santa Barbara shootings (as well as two people whom he knifed) not far from us three years ago, and Time magazine ran an article that listed nearly the same reasons that often drive these men. And also, that angry women tend to turn their feelings inward as opposed to outward.

Santa Barbara Killings: Why Are Mass Murderers Always Male? | Time.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Likewise if you attempt to segregate by sex, by age, anything - there is no possible way to make an overall conclusion, making this topic pointless.
By age, background, religion, family, etc...yes. But sex? Has there been even one female mass shooter? I think it's safe to draw some conclusions about sex/gender.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 PM

100 posts, read 81,301 times
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/p...ampage-killers

Old 10-11-2017, 07:52 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,252 times
Default lawyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ahhh a conspiracy theory, plenty of those going around.
In this case, who is "they"? MGM CEO? A quick review shows the stock was at 33 in September, now it's about 31, not a huge change and far from it's yearly low of 25 back in march (and going back up as of this morning).
They say the lawsuits are beginning on MGM. It was just an article I thought interesting.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,252 times
Default fight for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Haha - women are forced out to pasture at least by the time she's 25 and no longer the dewy, nubile fertility goddess. Women don't usually go off and kill multiple people because of THAT.
Good point about women.
I think more men need to go to the gym and maybe have a sparring partner or do a form of karate. It will get rid of the natural violent tendency in Man.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
So Murren knew about the attack beforehand? And he sold shares because he knew the stocks would go down?

If you believe this, I 've got a bridge to sell you.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:10 PM

100 posts, read 81,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post
Good point about women.
I think more men need to go to the gym and maybe have a sparring partner or do a form of karate. It will get rid of the natural violent tendency in Man.
A necessary evil. Otherwise we never would have gotten past caveman times.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:05 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
There's a reason why women are rarely mass murderers.
It's coming! It's coming! Now that women are in the military, even begging to do combat, all it will take is a women coming back from Afghanistan/Middle East with PTSD, and? And since women are trying to prove to men they're just as capable as men of being expert fighters/killer...............

Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I know it sounds like a topic for Politics and Controversies but, after reading the article I really feel like it belongs here more. I found it a compelling read:

Why the Vegas Shooting Happened and Why Men Keep Doing This
Wow. Totally blown away by my reaction to this. I clicked on the link fully expecting to find some suggestion of a reason to think about.

What HOOEY! OMG. For one thing none of those 3 isn't something that women also face; in spades. Second, I know plenty of men with good friends, as a matter of fact I often think men are better at having friends in adulthood than women. Plenty of men who play (fishing golfing, attending sports games usually with friends). We all struggle with shame.

What a waste of space. Not that they aren't valid issues in people's lives. But that isn't why white men are mass shooting.

Sure you could argue that a person with some sort of mental illness experiences the above. But the mental illness is the problem there, it comes first, then the effects/causation on life.

Men have control issues. When whatever happens (mental illness, stress, life) pushes them over the line - this is the way they go. That's my theory.

They are deeply lonely. They have no significant friendships to rely on, and very few quality people to confide in.
They experienced ongoing play deprivation. Their innate ability was crippled, and they struggle to maintain a healthy emotional connection with themselves and others.
They are deeply ashamed. They experienced extreme ridicule, rejection, or humiliation.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I strongly believe that we cannot ever truly know the "why" We can only hypothesize and give our best guess regarding what led up to these and many such tragic violent events.

I do believe that we fail as a Country in providing help to our mentally ill children and adults. And, until that changes drastically I think we will continue to debate after the facts, rather than be proactively preventative in diagnosing and helping our mentally ill citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology