Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

My husband's company thought so much of me that they reached out to me and offered me a very good position with the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:19 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
A few years ago - before I retired - in the same week I had people in three different groups (management meeting at work, HOA board meeting, high school class reunion committee) call me "the voice of reason"! Each time I actually thought it was pretty funny, but later on I realized it was flattering that those different people thought I was so level headed. If they only knew.....

Old 10-12-2017, 09:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
When people who haven't seen me after a number of years finally see the new person that I have become. Last year, I was obese, had a protruding stomach, and, quite frankly, looked disgusting. Now, I have lost 104 pounds and put on muscle. I occasionally run into people that I haven't seen in a number of years, and I love seeing how their faces change when they see this new me. Also, although this weight loss attempt was never about impressing women (I've failed so many times in the past due to this), I do enjoy the new attention that I receive!

Another ego boost I get is when people say that I look 16. I'm 22, but I don't grow facial hair easily. People heavily scrutinize my ID when I go to bars! I've also had this happen when purchasing cigs for other people.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:36 PM

322 posts, read 286,046 times
When my mom said she feels better after she talks to me and that I calm her down. I was so happy to hear that! My mom is a strong woman that rarely relies on anyone so that made me feel good. I didn’t realize I could be a source of safety and comfort for anyone like that.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Having sex with hot, famous guys back in the day.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I worry all the time that I haven’t been able to be the best role model for my 16 year old girls.

They are the only 2 of my 11 who have never seen me “in action” as far as my ability to overcome every obstacle. They were 5 when my youngest was diagnosed with Autism & I became his official (per Social security) primary caregiver.

In Autism ; I have met my match. I am totally financially dependent on their dad & he makes sure everyone is aware of it. All teens will be embarrassed by their parents but I am an extra embarrassment: I sometimes have ran out of gas on the way to school (to teach me a lesson about budgeting). Their little brother is now a 6’ tall 200lb Autistic 13 year old with difficult, aggressive & inappropriate behaviors & I haven’t bought myself anything to wear that hasn’t come out of a thrift store for almost 3 years now.

I give up a lot so they can go to an out of boundary school with the best programs & activities available. They haven’t missed not one out of state travel opportunity & I & their little brother attend every fund raising event offered, even if it means having to return purchases to the store to buy groceries for a week.

I hate being powerless. I hate what that teaches them. I hate that they don’t know the real me. Anyway ...

One night last year, that dumb reality show “Don’t Be Tardy For The Party” with the former Real Housewives star Kim came on & I remarked how (up until 10 years ago) similar her & I were: We look alike (when I used to bleach blonde), we both left home at 16, were both young single moms, both worked in Adult Entertainment industry & both went to Nursing school ( I worked as an RN from 1992-2005 though, not sure about her).

Then I said “EXCEPT ...” And I was going to say “ She was smart, landed an NFL player & married for money ...”

When one of them interjected “Except YOU went on to do something important with your life!”

And I was floored. “Like what?”, I asked. And she said “Like having all of us! And taking care of Luke! There’s no way she could handle all that!” I was still reeling when the other twin said “ Yeah; she’s really nothing like you. I don’t think she’s very smart ... but you know EVERYTHING ...”

What..? Of course, that epic revelation took about 60 seconds & they remain eye rolling, sighing, dramatic butt pains but I was truly on cloud 9 after that one!

Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
A teacher in my college telling my sister (and everyone in her class) how "cute" I am and if I am single ("this girl's brother is so cute"). She also used to be my teacher, and she always had a crush on me. Even though she was like 60, it was really flattering. I never thought of myself as traditionally attractive or anything.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Default Coming Out Of The Woodwork

Pushing 40 when my children's mother decided she no longer wanted to be married to me. After separating, it didn't take long for news to get around.

At a high school function with dear daughter, her friend's mother ran up to me in disbelief of what she'd heard. I confirmed. She said, "What?! Is she nuts? They'll be coming out of the woodwork when they find out you're available, honey!"

Not arguing the merit (or lack thereof) of what she said, but what a gift! Ego boost extraordinaire!

Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Having sex with hot, famous guys back in the day.
Any famous guys you want to name drop??

Old 10-13-2017, 07:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
At my work I am one of the older guys, and pretty often I will have a customer come in looking specifically for me and tell me they always look for me because I have all the answers. I usually joke and say " I guess you haven't talked to my ex wife, have you !" But it does feel good.

Also, sometimes a customer will say "You may not remember me, but you told me how to do something and it worked, thanks !" I took off for a week, and my manager said " We missed you, people kept asking for you. Those are nice moments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology