Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 05:25 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
All this time women have been accused of being the catty, back biting, gossipy, petty, calculating, diabolical ones. Branded as witches and b----es. But now there's so much melodrama going on among men it's jaw dropping. In Washington D.C. it's very intense and very public. Name calling and belittling. It's in the workplace too. Guys routinely talking trash about each other behind each other's backs. I swear things weren't like this where and when I was growing up. Even when I worked at Evil Corp the viciousness didn't show up at this level. It's not that it was hidden, it was that the game wasn't played that way. If two guys detested each other they did something about it -- either had it out or avoided each other. They didn't create a hollywood soap opera that has no resolution and no end. Maybe my environment was some kind of bubble but I don't think so. In my experience things weren't like this even 10-15 years ago. All I can come up with is either men are changing or else they're changing the rules. Oh No doubt part of the cause is the evolution of the internet.
I read a study decades ago, comparing which gender gossiped more. Women have that reputation, and I don't know anyone who would say they think otherwise. But the study found that when they examined actual conversations among the genders (men with men, women with women), it was MEN who talked about other people more, while women talked about things/events more. Women were not the gossip gender. That was decades ago.

Sometimes we notice what we want to notice, and disregard things that don't feed into our preconceived ideas. Like women being bad drivers, while insurance stats show that for most of the age ranges, it's men who get in accidents more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 05:38 PM

710 posts, read 584,070 times
Who cares to be honest. I couldn’t care less about what other men are doing, I’m just worried about myself.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:50 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Well there's been a War Against Boys for decades.

All the women wanted men to act more like them so now 'ya got it.

"NO you can't run around at recess. Sit in the classroom and chat."

Old 10-13-2017, 08:32 PM

242 posts, read 184,184 times
This is going to sound weird but I honestly think it has something to do with birth control. Just hear me out. The hormones in the pill pass out through the urine and get flushed and most municipal water treatment doesn't really have an effective way of filtering them out, so there is still a fraction of estrogen in the tap water. I'm not sure when the pill became as popular as it is today with most women having used it at some point, but most men today have spent their lives drinking these hormones which I think can accumulate.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Our men act less like men these days because they are filled with soy! It is in everything...even stinking Oreo Cookies and Campbell's soups! Soy raises their estrogen levels.
This too. Also endocrine disruptors in plastics and municipal water. Estrogen enhancers are literally EVERYWHERE. So much for progress.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:40 PM

387 posts, read 357,748 times
if these various things in our environment and diets were raising male estrogen levels, wouldn't men be growing breasts and other female bodily traits? I don't think that's happening. the effect, if real, must be negligible and not something that couldn't be offset by physical activity, diet, and other things that raise testosterone levels. if men have become more feminine in their behavior, it's probably due to socialization, not estrogen levels rising in men.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
You're right, we should go back to the good old days when men dominated women and everything around them without any consequences for their behavior. Certainly that's better than men exhibiting the purely "feminine" traits of passive aggressiveness and immaturity.

And no, testosterone levels aren't "going down." Some of you need to seriously educate yourselves.
Actually if you read the research you will find that it is. Additionally rates of male infertility are skyrocketing.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-counts-halved

http://www.newsweek.com/2017/09/22/m...ts-663074.html

Last edited by homesickgirl; 10-13-2017 at 08:57 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
if these various things in our environment and diets were raising male estrogen levels, wouldn't men be growing breasts and other female bodily traits? I don't think that's happening. the effect, if real, must be negligible and not something that couldn't be offset by physical activity, diet, and other things that raise testosterone levels. if men have become more feminine in their behavior, it's probably due to socialization, not estrogen levels rising in men.
There are more men with fatty breast tissue now, but even if a man were to take the actual pill every day it would be doubtful he would grow an actual set of breasts, it won't even do that to a woman without them. It still effects hormone cycles though and is in direct opposition to testosterone. I'm not saying these environmental things are the ONLY reason men are becoming more feminized, but altogether I do think they have a somewhat cumulative effect.

ETA: And yes, I think many of the effects could be offset by physical activity and diet, but like a pp stated, people in general are more sedentary these days and there is soy and other suspect things in all kinds of processed foods, and that is what most people eat.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:03 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
There are more men with fatty breast tissue now, but even if a man were to take the actual pill every day it would be doubtful he would grow an actual set of breasts, it won't even do that to a woman without them. It still effects hormone cycles though and is in direct opposition to testosterone. I'm not saying these environmental things are the ONLY reason men are becoming more feminized, but altogether I do think they have a somewhat cumulative effect.

ETA: And yes, I think many of the effects could be offset by physical activity and diet, but like a pp stated, people in general are more sedentary these days and there is soy and other suspect things in all kinds of processed foods, and that is what most people eat.

And yet I get the impression that the "wussified men" people are referring to in this thread are young. If hormones were affecting men, wouldn't we be observing this "wussification" across all ages?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And yet I get the impression that the "wussified men" people are referring to in this thread are young. If hormones were affecting men, wouldn't we be observing this "wussification" across all ages?
No, because our consumption of soy, use of BPA containing plastics, and use of the pill, as well as other environmental toxins in drinking water, etc., combined has never been as high in previous generations. Add to that our current more sedentary lifestyle where everyone is on their phones 24/7 and doesn't exercise at nearly the same rate. This (consumption of soy, use of BPA containing plastics, and use of the pill, as well as other environmental toxins in drinking water, etc.) over time causes DNA polymorphisms (little disruptions in the DNA) that are then passed down to the next generation, and so forth.

Also check out the two recent articles I posted previously. Male sperm count has declined by over HALF in the last 40 years and this is directly linked to testosterone/estrogen. Scientists are actually pretty concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology