Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times

Advertisements

A thread based in envy. Strange...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 11:46 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
No. Actually many times I'm grateful I don't have it as bad as some people do. I especially am grateful that I've never lost a child. I don't know how people survive that or being the parent of a missing person. What if my daughter were murdered or in an abusive relationship or on drugs...I'd lose my freaking mind. Is that weird that I think I have it better than a lot of people but never wonder if I have it worse? Because I don't have some exceptional life. I have a pretty boring regular life but I see boring as good.
Same here. I actually marvel at how fortunate I have been in so many ways. The sheer number of bad things I have *not* had to deal with is sometimes mind-blowing, as I've listened to people recount things that have happened to them or that they are dealing with. Sometimes I am envious of things or situations that others have, but I also realize there are things they don't have that I do. And also that happy appearances aren't always reflective of reality - I've been a bit shell-shocked by how many relationships and marriages have broken up among my friends and acquaintances.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:39 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
People present a false version of themselves to the public and on social media. People I knew in high school have photoshopped their pictures on social media. It is obvious. When I see them at reunions, they look nothing like their social media pictures. I think possibly they have some shame about how the aging process that we all go through. I also think it's hard for women who used to rely on their sex appeal in high school because back then, the guys all wanted them; but those same guys 20+ years later are chasing after younger women, not the women they went to high school with.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Yes, I think that other people have it better than me. Not as much now, but I still do, especially with my family members who make a LOT more money than I do. I feel like they can go out to eat several times week or splurge on clothes without thinking gee, that was really expensive. Mostly this.

Or they must have a LOT of money saved up by now, and they're not even living in huge 5 bedroom houses or own 3 luxury cars or wear designer clothes. They're just people like me with a modest house and 2 cars (like me). I've always wondered how much people who make 6-figures have in their bank account.

Sure, they pay for a housekeeper, their children go to a private school, and they buy a lot of toys for their children, but all that can't dent their bank account right? But it'll send me to the poor house, by comparison.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I don't envy anyone or things. I have not thought about this for decades, 7 Deadly Sins from my long ago catholic life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

Have found my Peace in my life now at 79.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:46 PM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
People often do not know what others are dealing with behind closed doors.
The best saying I have heard about that:

If everyone threw their problems in the street you would grab yours and run back in the house!

Old 10-17-2017, 04:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
I don't think that seeing that some people have problems has anything to do with what one feels is lacking in one's own life.

There are plenty of people who do not have problems or have no serious problems, and actually have a great life - and one can see this and it can tend to emphasize what one feels is lacking in one's own life. Still being grateful for what one does have, but aching for what may be lacking.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-17-2017 at 05:16 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 04:58 PM

710 posts, read 584,070 times
Absolutely. I always wonder what my life would be like if I wasn’t born ugly, or to a single parent, or bullied, or abused, or if I was born to a wealthy family. I know for a fact that if I had any of those things not happen then I’d be a happier person today. People who happened to be born to the right parents, or with the right looks, or to parents with wealth are EXTREMELY lucky. Some of the experiences I’ve been through in life have made me have a very pessimistic outlook. I don’t believe in any gods or religions and I don’t think life has any deeper meaning behind it or that anyone was put here for a reason. I believe we’re just here to live and die and a lot of your happiness (or lack of it) in life will be determined by things that you can’t control. It’s unfair but it’s reality and it just sucks when you’re on the negative end of it.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Meh. Both my husband and I come from totally dysfunctional homes. My step father beat with a board and I went through a closed window, sexual abuse from a teacher... all kinds of fun and hi-jinks

I'm happy, I sure as heck will not give power to all those horrible people to make my life miserable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-17-2017, 08:53 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked,
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
“Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich--yes, richer than a king--
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

-- Edwin Arlington Robinson (poem in public domain)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology